Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie ~ advice on what’s what with different jacket patterns

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
So, if the Imperial pattern isn’t as well suited to layering, can anyone recommend what Himel Bro’s design might be a better style of jacket for layering? The Heron looks like it might be a boxier cut and better suited ...

Also, would the choice of leather used play into this at all?
I love the Shinki HH that Dave uses, but I’m wondering if perhaps a different hide provides a little more “give” and might be better for layering.

Thank you, Brian
I already suggested the Canuck...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
No worries mate. Yes it’s tight. I’ll post a picture of me in a sweater I’d like to wear (it’s a fairly thin cotton vee neck) and with the jacket zipped up.

I get the whole layering thing, it seems to be a bit polarizing. I accept that I should’ve been clearer with Himel about what I wanted/expected of the jacket fit. It was my first go and a costly mistake.

I also understand a leather jacket such as this, isn’t exactly designed to ward off our Canadian winters. I just enjoy wearing sweaters with my jackets, and this doesn’t work all that well for that purpose.

It does fit very well with a tee, so I’m a bit sheepish about approaching Dave. He’ll probably say it’s a perfect fit which in a way it is if I accept the fact it’s not for layering. Live and learn.

If you can't wear even a modest thin wool sweater underneath a jacket to my idea it is too tight. I don't think I have ever owned a jacket that can't accommodate one.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
If you can't wear even a modest thin wool sweater underneath a jacket to my idea it is too tight. I don't think I have ever owned a jacket that can't accommodate one.

Damn, Carlos almost had me convinced ...

I honestly thought the jacket would relax a bit (I understand these don’t stretch in any way) but so far it remains a pretty darn snug fit with a sweater.

I post those pics later so you can see what I’m talking about.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Damn, Carlos almost had me convinced ...

I honestly thought the jacket would relax a bit (I understand these don’t stretch in any way) but so far it remains a pretty darn snug fit with a sweater.

I post those pics later so you can see what I’m talking about.

This stuff can only be felt not seen. The best looking fit I ever had was a jacket that prevented me from breathing deeply. It did not look too small. But it really was. I wore it uncomfortably for 10 days and it just seemed to get tighter. Off it went.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
This stuff can only be felt not seen. The best looking fit I ever had was a jacket that prevented me from breathing deeply. It did not look too small. But it really was. I wore it uncomfortably for 10 days and it just seemed to get tighter. Off it went.

That sounds excruciating....

Luckily, this is no wear near that tight. Just a shame that it’s not a hair roomier.

Peacoat

Bartender
No worries mate. Yes it’s tight. I’ll post a picture of me in a sweater I’d like to wear (it’s a fairly thin cotton vee neck) and with the jacket zipped up.

I get the whole layering thing, it seems to be a bit polarizing. I accept that I should’ve been clearer with Himel about what I wanted/expected of the jacket fit. It was my first go and a costly mistake.

I also understand a leather jacket such as this, isn’t exactly designed to ward off our Canadian winters. I just enjoy wearing sweaters with my jackets, and this doesn’t work all that well for that purpose.

It does fit very well with a tee, so I’m a bit sheepish about approaching Dave. He’ll probably say it’s a perfect fit which in a way it is if I accept the fact it’s not for layering. Live and learn.
You need at least two leather jackets (most of us have many more than that). Now get one that has enough room for a sweater and you will be set. I, too, enjoy wearing sweaters under my jackets and coats. With Dave, you already have the size nailed. Just a bit larger next time.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
You need at least two leather jackets (most of us have many more than that). Now get one that has enough room for a sweater and you will be set. I, too, enjoy wearing sweaters under my jackets and coats. With Dave, you already have the size nailed. Just a bit larger next time.

I’m definitely leaning that way! Perhaps a good enough reason to add a brown jacket. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ