Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie from the UK says 'hello.'

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hi there guys! I came across this Forum by accident while looking for a Fedora hat. Anyway, I'm glad I did, because I am extrememly impressed by the whole layout of the website, the topics of conversation and I generally got a good feeling about it all. So here I am!

As there wasn't a section for new people to make a first intro, I just chose the WW2 one, as that's my penchant, vintage aviation jackets and wear.

For the last 3 or 4 years, I have been an avid member of two Yahoo vintage groups, VintageleatherjacketsII and The 20th Century. So some might know me from there (and I'm still there!).

As I'm still working out how to post my own head and shoulders shot up on the board with my name, I'll attach a pic here (if I can) and give you a weblink to some of my vintage aviation gear (repro and mostly original).

http://photos.yahoo.com/paddy_middleton2002

I am based in the UK up on the Scottish borders, but every so often do head south to civilization, such as this July for the vintage FLYING LEGENDS show at Duxford in Cambridgeshire.

I look forward to becoming an active and I hope useful contributor to this forum, and my search for that Fedora continues.

Kindest Regards, PADDY (Middleton).

STHill

One of the Regulars
Welcome, Paddy! I've posted a little bit (and lurked a lot) over at the two jacket forums you mentioned. I have always been impressed with your reasonableness and level-headed viewpoints, not to mention your knowledge of A-2s and WWII. You will fit in great here.

As you know, it gets a little contentious sometimes on those jacket boards (to say the least!). I've been here a couple of months and have never seen any of that kind of behaviour on the Lounge. A bunch of really nice guys. You will learn a lot and enjoy yourself.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WW2 AERO (Beacon, NY) A-2 original

Thanks for the welcome guys. When I have a minute from work, I will be picking your brains on getting my first Fedora! At the moment, I'm quite clueless on the subject to be honest.

The A-2 flying jacket in the photograph is an original made by the Aero company in New York (Beacon). It's in gorgeous condition with original knits, lining (which often goes!) and the leather is gaining a great vintage patina that only 60 years can give. The squadron patch is the famous "Wee Willie" (which is a bee tossing a bomb) from the 21 BS (Sqdn), 30 BG (Group).

I bought this one from the folks at Aero in Scotland (not to be confused with the wartime NY Aero), who have a large range of original jackets, as well as their repro lines they make. (have a look at their website!).

For everyday wear, I have an excellent repro A-2 in oiled horsehide, but this original is great to put on, fits my 40" like a glove and there's something special about wearing a piece of history isn't there! (or have I just lost it!!).

That's one jacket that when it came off the production line, even though in wartime they were thrown together, the classic timelessness of the design will live now forever!

Once again, pleasure to share some time with you guys.

PADDY.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge

Paddy? Sounds Irish..........

My brother collects A-2's and has maybe 30 of them. He also has the Crusher caps and some dress uniforms, plus every book ever written on WWII airplanes, squadrons, flight manuals, maintenance manual (has complete DC-3 owners manual with fold out diagrams).

If you want to learn about Fedora's, you've come to the right place. There are many camps, loyalties, and so on.

I recommend you jump right in, and see what you like!

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: WW2 AERO (Beacon, NY) A-2 original

Originally posted by PADDY
there's something special about wearing a piece of history isn't there!

Man, you look like a piece of history. Great look!

Welcome to the lounge, Paddy. When you're ready, make sure you post in "Hats"!

David

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Originally posted by Ken
Forgive my ignorance in this but who is Aero in Scotland and where in Scotland are they?

Ken

I am surprised you have not heard of Aero, Ken. Not only are they in your neck of the woods.......but Patterson was working with them on a improved Raiders jacket. This was after his Flight Suits involvment. Unfortunately them gave up due to all the the little unusual bits of the jacket. It was too much for them.......just like U.S. Wings did. Too bad too. They have a jerky horse hide that was very promising.

It makes me nostalgic just thinking about it.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
FYI, Aero (Scotland) website address.

For anyone that is interested, (as one of you chaps seems to live in the Scotland region) please find the Aero website link below.

They do a great range of original 30's/40's/50's civilian and military original clothing (shirts, leather jackets, Lettermans), but also they do their repro jackets in the finest leather (horsehide, steer, goat) you will find. But have a navigate around and see if anything takes your fancy!

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com (hope that works! for anyone in the area, they are in Galashiels on the Scottish border, and you can arrange just to pop in and try on some original jackets)

Other top brand makers of repro vintage flight jackets are:

Real McCoy, New Zealand
Lost Worlds, New York
Eastman Leather Clothing
Buzz Rickson, Japan

People fight over what they consider to be the best maker of the finest repro A-2..etc. Really you have to shop around, ask questions and go for what you personally like. I'm getting there now, but have made a couple of expensive mistakes on the way! It's through online forums that I have learnt not to make as many mistakes as I might have, left to my own devices!

For me that's why it's great to have places such as this with such a wealth of experience and knowlege base, for the likes of Fedora virgins such as myself, who have the enthusiasm but lack the experience!

Before I dash, if you are after a 40's/50's (Korea era) vintage USN G-1 (the one with the mouton collar), personally I'd keep an eye out for an original, (repros are pricey, and just don't cut it) as their prices (the originals) are still pretty low on the likes of Ebay, compared to A-2's which can fetch silly prices.
Again, same with things like officer's crusher hats, just bide your time and you can pick up a decent WW2 one for cheaper than a repro. (again, just time has taught me that).

Cheers. PADDY.

PS: The A-2 in the attached pic, is a repro but is aging after a few years of abuse like a 40 mission original (without the white paint splashes, how do originals ever get so much white paint on them!!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider