Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie introduction and sharing

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Hello loungers,

I'm newbie here. Actually I've been reading this forum frequently but couldn't register due to mail problem that I've just resolved.

I'm very fascinated to read about how you all here love to wear hats, and indeed, I want to be a hat wearer too. And surely I'm gonna need plenty of your advice... So far I have a Stetson Andes and a Litefelt crushable fedora (you may laugh at me, but I'm a starter here, with limited budget too :) ) I want to wear hat as my fashion statement (I'm sick of today's fashion, just don't get it why many young boys these days dress like sissies), as well as protecting my skull - yes, I'm 32, and I'm balding. Not yet imminent but the direction is clear. And when everything's gettin out of control, I'll follow Yul Brynner and Telly Savalas. And when I become "skinhead" I definitely need hats.... :)

It's hard to find a fedora or wide brimmed hat in my country, Indonesia. This is not a hat country. These days the only hats I can find here are baseball caps, army cadet cap, beanie/bucket hat, skull cap, and very few newsboy/Ivy which is not made in high quality material, I'm afraid. Straw hats can be found too in certain extent but I don't think they are as good as your Panama or even other straw hats (Milan, Toyo, Shantung, etc) Others would be "religious" type of hats, particularly worn by Moslems. Hat with brim, I'm afraid here, doesn't represent part of "high class" or "elegant" clothing. It is mostly worn by farmers or street vendor, but of course, definitely not the stylish fedora that you have...

There could be some stylish fedoras on pre-WWII but that was during Dutch occupation era... don't think Indonesian people that time wear hats like the Dutch. So I don't think it's possible to find vintage hats. But if you're lucky you may still find pith helmets (usually worn by landlord of plantations or the foremen).

Some local pop stars here sometimes wear fedora, but I just have no idea where do they get those... are they really good fedora or just costume, I have no idea.

Well, this could be long, but I guess there goes my initial introduction. I hope I'm welcome in the lounge. :)

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Welcome!

I'm certain you'll find a warm welcome here in the Lounge, Yohanes. As you said, there is a lot of knowledge and experience here, and plenty of people who are friendly and willing to share.

I certainly won't laugh at your hats. I wore a Lite Felt wool fedora for about 12 years, Autumn, Winter and Spring. It served me well, especially in bad weather, but like you, I wanted something nicer. I've been able to buy tw0 felts, (one new, one 30 - 40 years old) and one panama; each one under $100 USD. Visiting the Lounge makes me want more (and more), even though I claim I don't want to become a collector.

I've never visited Indonesia, but have been to Maylasia and Singapore. I can't imagine wearing felt of any kind there. You should get a Cuenca or Montecristi - you might start a trend for fedoras! Panamabob, one of our members here can fix you up with something that looks great for well under $100. Our other vendor members also have great reputations among Lounge members, as I'm sure you've seen in your reading.

So, you've come to a good place with good people. Get a hat on, post some pictures and let us get to know you.

Best regards,

- Mark

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
By all means Welcome Yohanes!!! Pull up a chair and enjoy the conversation. I'm always interested in the customs and outlooks of parts of the planet I've never been fortunate enough to visit.
I'm sure you will be in good company here.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Thank you very much for the warm welcome.

Yes, I just wonder whether I can start the trend of wearing fedora. By the way beside budget consideration, I chose crushable wool because I'm worried about all the difficulties I'm going to face for a dressier fur felt. I don't drive a car, I don't ride bus, I ride motorcycle everyday to work or pleasure. You may call me a biker if you like, although not as extreme as those adventure riders. Thus, if it's not crushable, how would I be able to carry my hat? :)

It's rather funny to remember my interest on hats. I never had any intention to wear hat at first, but when I was looking for a gift for my nephew, I was thinking, why not buy him a hat/cap which is not available in Indonesia? I start searching thru internet, surfing here and there, including this forum, then finding that I want to wear hats too :D I bought my nephew a Kangol bugatti caps from mens-hats.com, and he likes it very much!

I am looking forward to acquiring fedoras. Even for Asian man, I'm quite short, only 160 cm-tall (I think that's 5.2 or 5.3?), with rather roundish face...My litefelt wool looks a bit weird at first (from what I think) but with some tilting I think it look a bit better. With narrower brim (Stetson Andes) I think it looks better on me...

I will post my pictures later, hope you can give some tips of which type of fedora is suitable for me.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yohanes said:
Thank you very much for the warm welcome.

Even for Asian man, I'm quite short, only 160 cm-tall (I think that's 5.2 or 5.3?), with rather roundish face...My litefelt wool looks a bit weird at first (from what I think) but with some tilting I think it look a bit better. With narrower brim (Stetson Andes) I think it looks better on me...
Yohanes: Always remember what the Texas Rangers say: "It's not the size of the man in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the man!"
Welcome to the FL!
We of course have a lot of members from the States, and a lot from England, plus a scattering from continental Europe. There are a lot of folks from Australia , and at least one each from Taiwan and Japan. Adding Indonesia just makes it all the richer. We would all be interested in learning about the life style in your country during the middle years of the last century. It must have been very interesting with the contrast of the Dutch colonialists with the many diverse cultures of your many islands. And of course our WWII buffs will be interested in that aspect of Indonesia's history.
Please share!

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge Yohanes.!

You will find this place is full of help and information, as for the Litefelt, I have had several and all were fine hats.
Go slow and I am sure you will be able to fine a fur felt that will suit your needs!

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Well, I decide to show my ugly head here :D

DSC00220.jpg

Me1.jpg

At first glance, do you think it's better to search stingy brims (2" and below), or wide brim fedora? :D

Anders

One of the Regulars
I think you pull off both those looks quite well! The 'rules' of facial structure (within my limited understanding) and the like would probably point you to a wider brim, but I think you would look excellent in a brim of just about any size. It does take some time to get used to seeing yourself in a wider brim. I still can't really wear anything more than 2 1/4 with confidence yet, but I'm getting there!

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Anders. Yeah, I felt rather odd at the first time wearing the wide brim - I was confused, is it a fedora or campaign hat? All my hats are purchased online - as I said - no hat store in my country. Hats (or caps to be more exact considering the availability) are not sold in specialty shops like in US or Europe. So I'm always speculating. But after several experimenting I found out that tilting the hat either to the left or right DOES make significant difference. :D

Yeah, gotta look around more :)

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
Welcome aboard! This is a great message board for all kinds of infromation, not just hats. You'll find many knowledgeable people here.

What hat size do you wear, Yohanes?

I'm a 7 5/8 my self.

scomce

New in Town
New here too. Been lurking for approximately a week while my access was getting squared away. This forum, to the say the least, is unique. Hopefully, I'll be able to glean some advice from fashion sages such as yourselves.....

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Hey, thanks to all. Glad to be a member of FL.

My head measurement is 58 cm, but the Stetson Andes I have is 7 3/8. The wool hat is L-size. But seems every manufacturer has its won standard about this? :) I believe there's a thread here complaining about how different each manufacturer in labeling their hat size :)

Hello, Cookie, ever been in Indonesia? :) Despite its bad reputation everywhere, I'm very convinced that my country should be a beautiful country, it's our government that's a complete dork :mad: Hope we could get better situation in the future.

It should be "selamat datang", BTW lol

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi ya neighbour! Great to have you here Yohannes. Both those hats suit you very much. My favourite is the second one, but I'm a biased 2.5 inch brim man myself!

Don't worry, my friend, a country's beauty and wealth isn't in its government or bureaucracies, but in its people, the men and women who work, and sweat, and pay taxes, who love their children and their families. In this way, the man in the street is the same all over the world, in Indonesia, America, Australia, Britain, Africa, Japan, everywhere. We know Indonesia is special and unique because of its people, not its politics.

Selamat datang!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21