Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Hi Guys.. Thanks for this.. Yes Of course I will be taking the lead from John and very much reassured to do so, but was just curious to hear what the people had to say on such matters - All very useful - Thank you! Actually Joel I'm a little fella and weigh 150lbs exactly, so will definitely be looking at the Bronco, thanks for advise. Whats the advantage or point of difference with a 'set in sleeve' that comes as standard on the Monarch contract?

From the Gw web site, descriptions of the "Star Sportswear" contract;

"The inset sleeves afford excellent arm motion, so much so that the sleeves don't pull up much when sitting and reaching forward. ..."

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/a2_star.html

and "Monarch Mfg" contract;

"The jacket has inset sleeves, which allow for slightly more ease of arm motion. "

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/a2_monarch_a2.html

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
Paddy, I am mad about your boots !
How and where can I find a pair like this? ....referring to your pictures from page 63
And is it Omega Speedmaster I see on your wrist also?
you have a fine taste in clothing, and choice of wristwatches.
Have a speedy myself, from 1972
Greeting
Allan

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
Good job Jeff.
It's always a treat to go back and look at John Chapmans work and read from the many satisfied FL members who have his jackets.
With the recent attention to the jacket makers across the water, it may be more prudent for some to take another look at Goodwear's offerings.

Regards, coffee

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi guys.. looking for advise & help with choosing the most suitable contract of Goodwear's A2 offerings - I'm after a sharper fit that sits neat, trim and squarely on the shoulders & body with neat sharp collars... was thinking of going with the Monarch??

As I'm 'New in town' I'm hoping one of you seasoned Veterans can guide me in the right direction? From what I've read so far it sounds as if you can't go wrong with what ever you order.. But would still very much appreciate some opinions..

Looking to place an order next week :cool:

Hi ye,

Well I actually asked John for this same advice and he responded as follows:

These are the jackets he recommends for the type of fit you're after:
Monarch A-2 http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/a2_monarch_a2.html
Werber Sportswear http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/a2_39werber.html
38 Aero http://www.goodwearleather.com/1938_Acme_46/

That said, I LOOOVE the light russet RW 1401.
I would seriously consider the Aero and the Monarch (Bonus having inset sleeves.... perhaps)

Then again, this same question posed to Aero over the years has left me with yearnings for a Bronco or a 1756

Brettafett

One Too Many
Dunno. I've got an Aero Bronco and it's the most comfortable jacket in the closet. If one gives the maker the right body numbers, they will (should) accommodate your build just fine.
My '42 in HH by comparison is a little trimmer, arm holes slightly higher.

How would you compare your new 15142 with the Bronco? Are theythe same size?
I am in the process of deciding that Aero's Bronco will be my next jacket ;-)

How would you compare your new 15142 with the Bronco? Are theythe same size?I am in the process of deciding that Aero's Bronco will be my next jacket ;-)
Hard to say as the 42-15142-P was too short on me. Probably a bigger cut all over. My next A-2 is the Aero '38. The list above is a good one though for the trimmer (also earlier) contracts.Scott

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hey Scott.
Your 15142, was that the seal HH one you posted pics of a ways back? It looked really cool on you. I am sure you are also right, that the Bronco will be a neater cut than the 15142. God made me pretty skinny and even though I love my 15142 and think it looks 'right', I feel that I swim a little in the chest on down area.... !
You looking at Aeroleather Scotland's 38 or John's?

Hey Scott.Your 15142, was that the seal HH one you posted pics of a ways back? It looked really cool on you. I am sure you are also right, that the Bronco will be a neater cut than the 15142. God made me pretty skinny and even though I love my 15142 and think it looks 'right', I feel that I swim a little in the chest on down area.... !You looking at Aeroleather Scotland's 38 or John's?
Oh, THAT 15142! Yeah, it was tighter on me in the arm-holes so I let it go. I'm at the point where only a perfect jacket will do, and I'm flipping them like crazy trying. It's elusive, but you keep trying! :) My Aero Bronco is a great jacket! I love that one, and it's going nowhere.

RRackleyAdams

New in Town
My new GW Rough Wear 27752 in brown seal

Gents:
I'm thrilled to take pre-fall season possession of my new GW Rough Wear 27752 in brown seal. This is the one currently featured on John's site as the example jacket for the contract. It was awesome working/speaking with John Chapman in picking out the right contract and hide...and I'm thrilled with the end result. The color is seal but it's lighter than a lot of the really dark seals I see people post. I love the fit, weight, OD stitching and craftsmanship of this jacket and am psyched to break out in a month or two...check it out and please let me know your thoughts.

IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5159.jpg

IMG_5234.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5163.jpg

Well, sadly, and I don't say this lightly because I know how much you love this jacket, but....it's freakin' awesome and I'm jealous! lol
Seriously, it's beautiful. Can't ask for more than that. Well, except maybe a proper pair of pants to match ;)

767fo

One of the Regulars
The jacket and fit is perfect!!! John's seal HH is my favorite and his workmanship is simply the best. Congrats and enjoy!!!

RRackleyAdams

New in Town
Well, sadly, and I don't say this lightly because I know how much you love this jacket, but....it's freakin' awesome and I'm jealous! lol
Seriously, it's beautiful. Can't ask for more than that. Well, except maybe a proper pair of pants to match ;)

Ha...you got me. Thanks for the compliment...and those are absolutely some serious clown shorts in the photo...I knew that would catch flack as soon as I pressed "Post Reply".

Ha...you got me. Thanks for the compliment...and those are absolutely some serious clown shorts in the photo...I knew that would catch flack as soon as I pressed "Post Reply".
I'm still smartin' over the "untucked shirt" debacle! It's Ian you have to look out for - once he sees this, it's curtains lol

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
All I'm going to say is that this 'Kalifornian, dippy hippy fashion' has a lot to answer for - what next? Trousers hanging below the butt (as our colonial cousins say)?!
;-)

D

Deleted member 16736

Gorgeous hide. My new Werber will be in this hide. Having owned a jacket in this hide already, I will urge you not to use any conditioner. This leather is full aniline and will darken with any oil-based conditioner. Since most companies won't tell you what's in their conditioner, assume there's oil in it unless they say otherwise. If you had to use a conditioner, you're probably safe with Bick 4, which says on the bottle it will not darken aniline leather. But it's best to apply nothing and just wear it. Enjoy. And yes, it is lighter than it appears on the web, which suits me just fine.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Gents:
I'm thrilled to take pre-fall season possession of my new GW Rough Wear 27752 in brown seal. This is the one currently featured on John's site as the example jacket for the contract. It was awesome working/speaking with John Chapman in picking out the right contract and hide...and I'm thrilled with the end result. The color is seal but it's lighter than a lot of the really dark seals I see people post. I love the fit, weight, OD stitching and craftsmanship of this jacket and am psyched to break out in a month or two...check it out and please let me know your thoughts.

IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5159.jpg

IMG_5234.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5163.jpg

Another spectacular example from Mr. Chapman. I love it.

- Ian

Gents:

IMG_5239.jpg

Beautiful jacket.
Which of John's "Seal" hides is this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk