Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newsboy caps

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Though most hats in my collection are fedoras and the like, I've always had at least a couple newsboys in my collection. They've been well worn, to boot. In fact, I finally had to give my brown herringbone cap a proper burrial bacause it frayed beyond repair and just looked too awful to wear anymore. So what does my wife do? For my birthday, she had me pick out a new cap from hatpeople.com to choose as a replacement! They currently have a nice brown herringbone in stock. These hats are all custom made to order and at a very reasonable price. It should be here in a couple of weeks.

I thought I read that someone else ordered a newsboy from hatpeople and were quite pleased with the cap. Anyone else have any experience with them? They seemed like very friendly people and the customer service is straight out of a pleseant mom and pop shop.

Also, I have a vintage 20's-30's grey newsboy with a leather sweatband. Unfortunately, the sweatband is coming loose with age. The rest of the cap is in excellent + shape. I know Art Fawcet does repair on vintage fedoras, but what about newsboy caps? Any good sources for repair on vintage caps?

bink

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Hey Bink, I ordered a hat from them and had a great experience. The prices are insanely reasonable, they are very very friendly, and their product is quality. I especially like your ability to choose what type of cut you want in your hat. I went for a full cut, because I was worried the extra full would be a bit too floppy and make me look like a kis tryign to wear a grownups hat :p

I chose the Houndstooth newsie cap and I love it. It's a great, 8 panel full-cut cap and looks very much like the newsie caps that you see in a lot of vintage pictures. The colors on the houndstooth are great; lots of browns as well as greens and even some purples, all in really nice earthtones.

I'm the type of person who can't leave the house without a hat on his head. I just feel almost naked if i'm not wearing one. The newsie cap gives you an option when you're dressed too down for a fedora to go well with what you're wearing. For instance, I'll reach for the newsie cap if I'm wearing jeans rather than slacks, although the newsie hat looks great with trousers and a vest.

To anyone else looking for a nice newsie cap I highly recommend these people. they do great business and their hats are reasonably priced.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Thanks for the link, Sharpetoys. ;)

What I like about newsies is that you can take them most anywhere and they're easy to roll up and stuff in an overcoat pocket when needed. They also look sharp or more casual depending what you wear them with. They're versatile hats! I'll try to post pics when it comes in.

bink

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Rick..Have you recieved your hat yet?

I went ahead and ordered a linen full cut the other day, they said it takes about two weeks. They do have some nice looking materials, but alas, anything other than linen won't work in Southeast TX. I may get a wool hat for winter though. Thanks for the link.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Nope, Bob, it hasn't come in yet. I'm hoping it'll arrive sometime this week. I'll let you know first thing when it does.

So what color/pattern did you order in the linen? It makes sense to have a hat that breathes well, especially in Texas. I visited my best friend in Houston one November and couldn't get used to the idea of wearing shorts that time of year!

bink

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I live just north of Houston, it almost made it to ninety today. The hat I ordered is oatmeal, the guy said it was sort of light khaki. He was very easy to do business with. That brown herringbone tweed they have on their site is a real good looking hat too. I want that one, but I would only be able to wear it for a couple months in the winter.

I've been wearing my linen Ivy for about two weeks and it has been a rather pleasant change from my gray felt fadora, of which I have been wearing all Fall and Winter.

Ever since this thread started all I could think of was how tough Charles Bronson looked in his newsboy hat in "Hard Times" There were some nice hats in that movie. James Coburn can wear a hat too.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
My friend will always ask during winter, do you have any snow yet? He misses the change of seasons. One of these days I'm gonna pack up a nice, big snowball and overnight it to him!

Again, do show pics of your newsie when it comes in! I'll do the same. ;)

bink

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
He is good also

Bink and friends,
This fellow is great to deal with also. He uses roan leather sweat bands and if you find a certain material you like just send it to him and he will make your cap. He truly makes all his caps custom made.

He sent me 4 leathers to choose from and sample material.
I have the silk and denim number 13 and 16

I sent him some beige linen a few days ago.

Brett is the Capper

http://mariposa.yosemite.net/bwear/

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I saw a photo recently of Robert Redford wearing a newsboy cap, probably from The Sting? He looked great in it; also saw Sylvester Stallone for a moment or two in one of the Rocky films, I think the one where he goes to Russia, wearing a most gorgeous newsboy cap, mostly white with some dark flecks in it. I wanted that hat!

I recently ordered a cap from the hatmaker you recommended, Sharpetoys; glad to know I picked a good one. I love those hats and colors!

karol

PS I am finding I wear a slightly larger newsboy cap than I do a fedora? am a 7 1/8, solid medium, but find I like the caps a bit larger. Is that true for any of you?

kdl

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Thanks for the link, Sharpetoys! So he works with leather bands, eh? Since no one answered one of my initial questions, do you know if he repairs newsies? I have an original 20's-30's cap which needs the leather sweatband replaced, but I'd rather send this one to someone who's got experience working on old hats...

bink

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I think we gals do look great in those caps and I see more and more women wearing them, backwards and forward and to the side. I love them on men, too.

I forgot about the hair factor. When I get my hair cut, come to think of it, my hats are a little looser than before the cut.

I guess I also like the hats to be slightly loose and let the weight of the hat keep it on my head. That's because I like the floppiness, like the hat to look a little rakish. I don't much care for the way the Big Apple hats fit on my head (waayyy to big), and prefer the standard size with a little bit of spread, which I get when I order a size up. Maybe I should try something from hatpeople and get the full cut.

And then turn myself into Hataholics Anonymous. Or its sister organization, Capaholics Anonymous....

It's always "just one more hat," you know what I mean?

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy