Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Night Owls only

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
The nature of my "day" job dictates the late hours I keep: usually getting to bed around 3 or 4am. I get up before 11am and am due at work by noon. I get off work between 10pm and midnight, or sometimes later.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
The only redeeming quality of a Saturday night graveyard shift: The Sunday morning drive home, not a faster commute to be found.
Couldn't agree with this more. The majority of my commute is highway, so it's nice to be the only one out on the open road, windows down, wind blowing in the car, and the sun coming up.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Now that I'm thinking about it, does anyone who works nights find it especially hard to eat healthy? I'll usually get a home cooked meal in at dinner time on the nights I work then its either ordering out or something from the vending machine as my second meal. Anyone have tips for healthy eating at work?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Outlining a belated doctoral thesis and reading the Wall Street Journal's
Sat/Sun May 25-26 "Books" section review of CS Lewis: A Life
by Alister McGrath.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Interesting thread! I was always an early to bed, up at 0 dark thirty guy, then I had surgery, my internal clock flipped 180 degrees. Now, I want to be up at 3AM! Go figure.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
*Hoot*

Philosophers have measur'd mountains,
Fathom'd the depths of seas, of states, and kings,
Walked with a staff to heav'n, and traced fountains:
But there are two vast, spacious things,
The which to measure it doth more behove:
Yet few there are that sound them; Sin and Love.

George Herbert, The Agonie

Thomas More's The Supplication of Souls; writ by a philosopher who scaled his heart, and plumbed the depths of his soul.

A Cinderella night owl again--any other owls flyin'?

Reading a zerox culled from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy titled, Personalism.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
A good portion of one of the jobs I worked while putting myself through law school were midnight shifts at a Chicago hospital. I loved going up on the roof, ten stories up, and watching the city lights at night. Toughest part was between 4:30 and 6 AM-- for some reason my metabolism dipped at that time and staying awake was rough. It was fun, but I don't miss it, especially since I'm now 35 years older.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I have often wondered as time passes in a person's life, that for a number of uncontrolled yet random events may help push a person into the "night" routine of being up until an almost ungodly hour? Just a year or so ago, I was never one to stay up late. But now, as it seems there is more currently ongoing in my life, and household to keep up with, it seems I just cannot get everything done....so I stay up and do the dishwasher, washer machine, dryer, go over any accounting or read emails, and then surf eBay one last time for the day.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Around 1:00-5:00 AM is a good time to be on a motorcycle. The roads are empty, the city is quiet, you can see for miles down some roads. You may see a cop or two, may come across somebody who wants to race, but the best part is the solitude. The air is cool, but not chilling. A slight bit of humidity lays on the earth like a quilted blanket which softly wraps around you. The smell is indescribable. The general silence means I hear Ruby in a new light; her burbling exhaust merging with the intake pods and overhead cams in a lovely union, visited by the occasional click of a gear change. It is a romantic time in Albuquerque.

The downside is bugs. The pleasure of being plastered with night bugs of most every description...
...and here in Indiana deer moving at night is something to always be concerned about.
HD

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Bugs aren't so much of an issue in the city here; the country is a much different story. If there were going to be any large animal likely to get hit here, it would be a cow. They tend to be more foreseeable though.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
*Hoot*

Late minstrels of the restless earth,
No muteness can be granted thee,
Lift thy laughing energies
To that white point which is a star.

Jean Toomer, The Blue Meridian

Anybody other midnite owls awake here?

Reading Gary North's commentary Pearl Harbor Historiography: A Lesson in Academic Housecleaning.
Wrote my History baccalaureate thesis on Pearl Harbor, and revisiting the bibliography.

Bugguy

Practically Family
I spent years on-call in Chicago coordinating organ donation cases. We would schedule the OR for nights so we wouldn't bump any of the elective cases scheduled during the day or early evening. We had as much time as we needed and never had to deal with traffic when transporting organs to local centers or the airport. After the case was over, we went to a bar with a 2 AM license across from Cook County Hospital, the "Greeks", to decompress. Like a speakeasy, you knocked on the door and if they knew you, they'd let you in. It technically was closed, but it was always full of off-duty police and hospital residents (they had a link to the hospital's overhead page system). I adapted to a different rhythm and actually thrived - it's like a different world in the wee hours.

NOTE: The Greeks burned down; best guess is for the insurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk