Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-retro spouse.

funneman

Practically Family
I saw a similar thread to this one in the Powder Room and found the responses to be very interesting.

I wanted to start one here to see how many of you fellas have
spouses not into the retro-look thing.

My wife basically tolerates my hat fascination. She loves the new interest in suits, blazers and neckties, especially since I buy most of them at the
Thrift Store for pennies on the dollar. lol

Even though she's dropped the comments about my hats,
I can still tell she's not really into it. She says the retro-look makes me
look old and unhip. I'll sometimes leave my hat in the car when we go out in public, because I don't want to embarass her.

My little ones all have fedoras, I'd love to see the Misses wearing one and a pin stripe suit. I really like that look on women.

Anybody else?

Rhabryn

Familiar Face
Not Alone

My girlfriend of 4.5 years seems to have a slight problem with me being well-dressed generally...

Wearing the hat I've currently got and the idea of me wearing the hat I've recently ordered both manage to extract distain from her in addition to any flak I catch from being suited-up in general. (She also doesn't like that I try to do my hair in an older style <using brylcreem>).

Go figure...

The least I can tell you, is that you're not alone.

Cheers,
Rhab

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Just about everything "retro" that I've begun doing since I started dating my wife - Brylcreem, safety razors, three piece suits, fedoras, etc. - has been initially decried as "old mannish" by my wife. I just calmly point out that all old men were young once, and that a lot of these things were discarded somewhat arbitrarily by younger generations. Given time she's actually accepted, even embraced, everything I've tried.

Occasionally I'll joke that I’m "bringing back old man" but I think it's significant that a lot of individual pieces of retro are showing up here and there with the young and hip - their time has come because they've been out of the mainstream consciousness long enough to have lost their associations with old people.

The problem, now, according to my wife is that I try to combine too many retro elements at once - i.e. you can wear a vest, a fedora, or a bowtie, but never more than one at a time. The difficulty with that philosophy is that I've come to feel incomplete without a hat on, I've gotten addicted to the way I feel with my head covered and shaded. She says I'm "costume-y" or "a caricature" now and that it intimidates people. I wouldn't care about that so much, because I've finally found myself comfortable in my skin, but some of the intimidated people are potential employers. I've really toned back my retro lately and I'm not as happy with the way I look.

God help me if I ever find high-wasted pants. I doubt she'll let me out of the house that way.

-Dave

SpatzKat

New in Town
I would consider myself lucky in the fact that my wife and I share a love for vintage/antique items. She doesn't give me a lot of guff concerning the clothes that I wear, but......
I do count on her opinion concerning whether or not to wear something for a given situation. I tend to get "gussied" up for any occasion that allows for it. So if I might, I'd like to offer some advice:

Skip the truely vintage and antique styles for interviews and other important meetings. I keep a small variety of traditional style suits and separates for such occaisions as I hate the current styles. The classics will always speak well for you. However, there's nothing saying that you cannot accesorize with vintage items such as links, watch or pocket accessory. While the way you dress is a personal choice, there are times when it can be more detrimental to you. Eccentricity is all good in my book but there are some situations like the ones mentioned above that can tank your efforts for success.
I learned that as much as I dislike the idea, sometimes you just have to play to your audience. After that though, all bets are off!

Shel

New in Town
Sem-Retro Spuse

I know what you are going through. My wife says she likes me to wear certain of my hats, but would probably not mind if I discontinued wearing them altogether. As far as a total retro look, I haven't gone that far. I suspect if I did, I would more than likely be dining out alone most of the time. Actually, given the economic status these days, it might not be such a bad idea!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Maybe you can find a diner to frequent every night and have the blue plate special.

I like how in the old movies, people would live in a rooming house and eat every meal in a restaurant. I think they were cheaper then.

Does anyone do that anymore? I guess food in restaurants could be cheaper and eating at home cost more.

Shel

New in Town
Blue Plate Special

Actually, I know some people here in NY who eat in diners almost daily. In some cases, it costs about as much to buy and cook the meal than it does to eat at the diner, what with specials that include side dishes, desserts, coffee and soda for one low price. I know I'm sounding like I own one of the joints, but I don't. Anyway, you conjured up the vision of the neon sign flashing "Joes Eats" across from the rooming house in the old film noir movies.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
Maybe you can find a diner to frequent every night and have the blue plate special.

I like how in the old movies, people would live in a rooming house and eat every meal in a restaurant. I think they were cheaper then.

Does anyone do that anymore? I guess food in restaurants could be cheaper and eating at home cost more.

Mostly it was because there was no way (and it was usually disallowed) to cook in the room. Some boarders or pay-by-the-week hotel room occupants would rig up electric hot plates and little gas burners on a card table or dresser at risk of starting a four alarm fire on the block. These were folks who weren't doing well cash-flow-wise and although they paid more actually in the long run, it was all they could swing in a daily hand-to-mouth existence.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Everything Old is New Again

Just took a look at the latest issue - Nov 17, 2008 - issue of Business Week. Surprise, "The Great Depression is making a cultural comeback," According to the article, among other things, Depression parties are big among twentysomethings in NYC! Here's a link, http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08/11/1106_btw/index.htm . Maybe we aren't so outdated after all! :D Anybody up for Squirrel Stew ?:p

celtic

A-List Customer
Well, I have been 'helping' my wife get interested. I have recently purchased a coulple lovely vintage and/or inspired coats which has led her to buy other items.

She now appreciates when I wear fedoras (she never minded newsboys or ivy caps but for some reason didn't dig fedoras) although she thinks they all look the same. She doesn't appreciate that I need more than one or two...which leads to arguments over money and space.

I would suggest showing her really good films with great looking actors/actresses dressed nicely...it would be even more helpful to find an actress that even slightly resembles her and remark how she might look pretty in those styles...

I might also purchase something vintage that you know she will love. That might just pique her interest a bit more.

Cheers!

Havana

One of the Regulars
I am very lucky and thankful that my wife has totally accepted my fedoras, western hats, and vintage style. I dressed that way long before I met her and was dressed that way when we met so it's just how she knows me. One time, we were getting ready to go out and I tried on some "regular" clothes that my mother gave me. My wife took one look at me and said, "Put a hat on or something. You look just like everybody else."

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
I, too, am fortunate to have a wife that appreciates a "different" look. She prefers the term eclectic (sp?)...I grew up in the surf lifestyle of the 70's in SoCal and adopted the western look when I moved to Arizona and got into the horse and rodeo scene after college, so I've usually had a "look". Moving to the genteel South in the 90's, I found most folks a little stand-offish and that it was mostly due to my appearance. If I dressed in "normal" attire, folks were more receptive and open.
Now that I'm pushing 50, I wear what I want and mostly when I want. But like some others have mentioned, I'm smart enough to prioritize my wants and preclude a fedora when it's beneficial for me to do so. But you ought to see me when I mix and match my styles! :eek: Not much tops a fedora wearin' surf cowboy! :eusa_doh:

Rev Tom

New in Town
My wife has not made any direct comments about my hats, but I can tell she does not care for them. I ordered a new Federation last week, and told her that if the credit card company called about a charge from Australia, it was OK. She said fine - and four days later finally asked me what kind of hat I had ordered.

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
I would rather be alone than have to deal with someone who won't support my clothing choices. I'll take mild criticism from acquaintances but not from a person who is supposed to be supportive. But then, I've never been married and have been known to prefer the company of a good dog to that of a woman (no offense, ladies), and so you probably shouldn't listen to me. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points