Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nooby nooby new

Bigger Don

Practically Family
(with thanks to Frank Sinatra for the inspiration)

Have been lurking here for a couple of weeks. Seems like a good group so I thought I would intro myself.

As my nic says, I'm Don, and bigger than most. Heck, I tell people I'm almost twice the man I was when I graduated HS.

Had been thinking about wearing hats for a while because (a) ball caps are good for kids and ball games (b) watch caps are great for winter (c) at 6'5 340 I blend too much into the crowd.

The drawback was a guy I know at my former employer's wears a hat badly. Just didn't want to go there! OTOH, a couple of other guys wore hats that always looked good on them. Lesson: It's more a matter of the person under the hat than the hat on the person.

So, this summer I've taken the first steps to being a Hat Guy.

Step One. Stopped in at Batsakes and tried on a Panama. Nice hat, got compliments, but I wasn't ready for it.

Step Two. Acquired a "training hat" to see if I wanted to take the move. Nothing to write home about: crushable, cotton, somewhere between a fedora and a bucket. (Duluth Trading "FDR"). No big investment in case I wanted to step back to bareheadedness.

Step Three. Wear it! A hat sets a man apart in this modern age. Answer the question: Am I socially comfortable in it?

Found out several things. People compliment me and my cheap hat. I prefer a hat over sunglasses. I now seldom go outside without a hat (I've since been given another inexpensive hat). Our Golden Retriever, Maggie, knows I'm heading outside when I put on a hat.

Next step: Buy myself a truly nice hat. Stopped in at Batsake's yesterday and talked with Gus Miller. Since Gus is now 83/84 I decided my Christmas gift will be a fedora made by Gus. (In case someone has a 7 5/8 XLO hat they need to unload, let me know!)

Oh...if you have any opinions about how to discuss/decide the details with Gus that would be appreciated. He has felt samples for selecting color. I trust him for the primary and style general dimensions, i.e. size and head shape (7 5/8 XLO he said), brim width, and crown height. But I'm not certain about other things like pinch, crown crease, and edge finish.

In the meantime I'm going to continue going through the threads here for my own education. I'm finding out about many things I had no inkling about, like proper hat fit is head circumference plus shape. Then, if I don't find something on point, lay out some questions I have.

Thanks to all for all you've already provided.

Welcome to the party, Don. You must be nearby - I'm up in Dayton.

First, you're doing the right thing by going to Mr. Miller. He knows his stuff and has a fantastic shop. I hope you've spent some time trying on different hats at Batsakes; the best way to see what you like and what's good on you is to try on several and look in a mirror. Once you determine what you feel looks right on you, then you can give Mr. Miller the direction he needs to make a hat just for you. When you determine what you want, I'd go through some of these threads and save some photos of what you think you want. Mr. Miller can work off of a picture; that's what I did when I had him make my Gus Miller Custom.

Mr. Miller sold me my first hat, a Selentino Sterling. I had him make a custom for me over the summer. Here's a pic:

Picture2.jpg

You're in good hands with Mr. Miller. Keep us posted and post pics when you get a hat.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
and I'm sorry for what your wallet is about to endure

Been thinking about that and came to a conclusion that a man needs a new hobby every few years. It provides fresh fodder for spousal "discussions". :)

Besides that, it's easier to "sell" the home CFO on the price of a hat than that Sig Sauer P238 I've been yakking about. For added ammunition in the "discussion" I can always point out the difference in cost of the show quality Golden Retriever we've got over the pet quality puppy we agreed was our limit could buy a couple-three Gus Miller custom hats.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Welcome to the party, Don. You must be nearby - I'm up in Dayton.

I had him make a custom for me over the summer. Here's a pic:

You're in good hands with Mr. Miller. Keep us posted and post pics when you get a hat.
Beautiful hat. That's one of the felts I'm considering, which means it would be necessary to go with a different ribbon color so we don't get mixed up in public, eh?

BTW, the CFO asked last night how much this hat is going to cost. She didn't choke when I told her. I guess being outside with *her* show quality dog at that time helped. :) Planning on going down to see him tomorrow or Thursday. Gudgawd, I'm excited!

jkingrph

Practically Family
Welcome Don

It sounds like you are starting much the same as I. I had always had some western hats, but did not wear much, so as I started getting older tried some Tilley hats and started getting used to wearing whenever outside. I also started getting compliments.

I then graduated to some casual fedora types, then more formal, finally having a few custom made. The compliments kept coming in, some from young ladies young enough to be granddaughters.

In my old home town we have a group that has a mini high school reunion every Wednesday. When there I try to attend, and a couple of weeks ago was able to do so. I usually wear my hat, but for some reason left it in the truck and got several comments of where is your hat, so I guess folks now associate me with wearing a fedora.

Beautiful hat. That's one of the felts I'm considering, which means it would be necessary to go with a different ribbon color so we don't get mixed up in public, eh?

BTW, the CFO asked last night how much this hat is going to cost. She didn't choke when I told her. I guess being outside with *her* show quality dog at that time helped. :) Planning on going down to see him tomorrow or Thursday. Gudgawd, I'm excited!

The felt color is Bone, BTW. And whatever ribbon you choose is okey-dokey. There was only a 2 week wait when I got mine in June.

Let me know when you get it, we can meet at Moerlein's for some brewskis.

Sent directly from my mind to yours

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Ah...compliments!

Back in a previous life, such young ladies were referred to as "nieces".

Besides the Gus Miller, I'm thinking of something western-like, but not quite as pricey. Problem is my head is an XLO so I'm concerned about reshaping something more round so it doesn't teeter-totter across my head.

...and now I'm looking forward to spring for my first Panama.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
The felt color is Bone, BTW. And whatever ribbon you choose is okey-dokey. There was only a 2 week wait when I got mine in June.

Let me know when you get it, we can meet at Moerlein's for some brewskis.

Sent directly from my mind to yours

Ah, or we could wow the swells in Miamisburg by getting burgers at the hamburger wagon! :)

I saw a ribbon treatment today that was interesting. Unfortunately I lost the link. Instead of looking like a bow, the ends looked like they were folded back into each other, creating about 5 to 6 vertical pleats. Any idea what that would be called?

Ah, or we could wow the swells in Miamisburg by getting burgers at the hamburger wagon! :)

I saw a ribbon treatment today that was interesting. Unfortunately I lost the link. Instead of looking like a bow, the ends looked like they were folded back into each other, creating about 5 to 6 vertical pleats. Any idea what that would be called?

That's the ol' "shark's gill" ribbon bow.

Welcome aboard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider