Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Normal House on the Outside, 17th Century on the Inside!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
A friend pointed out to me this house for sale in Oregon. It looks completely normal on the outside, but go inside and it's like you're stepping into the past - like the 17th century! It's almost creepy.

I can't save the pictures, unfortunately, so you'll have to click the link to look. It's really worth your time.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3221421888-2114-NE-Crestview-Dr-Newport-OR-97365#photo-5

Creepy, as you said, is a good word, bizarre also comes to mind. That is really, truly odd. But well worth looking through the pictures.

Last edited:

Hercule

Practically Family
Interesting. I'd think more like late 19th/early 20th cent renaissance revival though - one sees the same things at big early 20c estates like Biltmore and Stan Hewet. Makes me wonder what the deal was with the owners. Maybe they were SCA types. Much as the 17th century is my area as a historian, I can't say that I find it at all alluring, just a little freaky in a kitschy way. Certainly interesting though.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Looking up at the ceiling in the master bedroom would certainly put a damper on things.

Unless they are selling it furnished I agree that putting modern furniture in there would totally ruin it. Maybe another SCA type would buy it. For sure it's going to take a special buyer.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
This used to be a thing. In the late 19th/early 20th century some American millionaires spent enormous sums importing antique rooms, paneling, mantels, even whole houses from Europe and building them into new houses.

In the seventies I knew a guy who was very into this kind of thing. He bought a house built in 1835 and restored it, but with certain amenities like wiring and modern plumbing. On the back he built a large kitchen for his own use with a huge fireplace, no electricity, exposed beams, flagstone floor, everything as it would have been in the 18th century. He furnished it with real antiques including a table he claimed came from an English pub and was made in the 16oos. He was an expert tin smith (his trade) and he made authentic tin plates, cups, kitchen utensils, and bought pewter and hand made pottery in the appropriate style.

His wife wouldn't go in the room but he loved it.

I can appreciate the effort and expense that went into transforming this otherwise nondescript suburban house. It's surely got that "wow" thing going for it.

Still, I'd think that any person doing anything so, um, distinctive to a house would know that it isn't for everybody. I'm also left wondering how much of its visual appeal might be attributed to the photographer. A good real estate photographer (I had the good fortune of having one a few months back) can have you thinking that a sow's ear might be at least a passable substitute for a silk purse.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I would LOVE to know the backstory behind it. The house was built in 1975, so it makes me wonder when they started doing this and how long it took them.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Pretty amazing though there is quite a mish-mash of styles & periods.. The photographer did a great job, the price is reasonable but there is just one problem.....there is no room to move, unless you snake around the furniture.....that would drive me crazy.
The blurb states 17th century stained glass windows, in the style of, would be more accurate.
A chateau in house's clothing.:)

p51

One Too Many
SCA heck, imagine what a bunch of German or GI WW2 re-enactors would look like in there, with rifles stacked in a corner and a few ration crates sitting around, with a radio playing 40s music?
That's what I immediately thought when I saw the photos of the interior.
Now all that said, Newport is really out in the middle of nowhere, in an area with truly crummy weather at least 6 months out of the year. I hope the house has a generator because that area of the Pacific coast sees a lot of storms in the Fall and Winter that produce very high winds. You couldn't pay me to live that close to the ocean there.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
SCA heck, imagine what a bunch of German or GI WW2 re-enactors would look like in there, with rifles stacked in a corner and a few ration crates sitting around, with a radio playing 40s music?
Now all that said, Newport is really out in the middle of nowhere, in an area with truly crummy weather at least 6 months out of the year. I hope the house has a generator because that area of the Pacific coast sees a lot of storms in the Fall and Winter that produce very high winds. You couldn't pay me to live that close to the ocean there.

When I was a kid, I always joked that I wanted to make each room of my future home to represent a different time period: American Civil War, French Revolution, Regency England, etc. This house, though, takes that one step further!

I have tried to create a "period" 1940s room for my office, but that's about it. I don't think I could go all out like this homeowner did.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That's funny! When I saw Newport, I immediately thought of the Jazz Festival, and had romantic visions of me in an MGTC, listing to the music! Wrong side of the continent!

Haversack

One Too Many
My first thoughts when I saw the photos of the interior were: 1. "Gee. That looks a lot like some of the rooms at San Simeon." and 2. "Well, the 1920s and '30s are smack-dab in the Golden Era."

IXL

One Too Many
I like it!!! It looks like it could have belonged to a Cavalier. After showing her these images, my wife just informed me that this is the reason SHE is in charge of choosing our residences..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points