Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Norwegian Wool Sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Gentlemen,

My interest in Norwegian wool sweaters has very much been reawakened by the 'Scandi Noir' thriller 'Twin' currently being shown on BBC television and set in northern Norway. Several of the men wear these sweaters and look great. I have worn a lot of them over the years and have two (or possibly three) at my parents' house which I wear on visits there - I am not going to be going there for a while because of the lockdown, of course. It'll probably be Fall and sweater weather by the time I leave S-W London.

My sweaters are Dale of Norway but there are some good ones online from Peter Christian (link below).

Any other fans/aficionados of these sweaters on FL?

navy-norwegian-jumper-100-pure-wool

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Aficionado here. I have Dale sweaters as well as other Scandinavian made sweaters, that I do wear. I have trimmed down to perhaps a dozen and a half.

My family, grandparents/parents imigrated from Northern Finland. The left after the Russians absconded with the land my Samii relatives raised and grazed their reindeer. The Scandinavian sweaters are what my family wore during the winters during special occasions, family dinners or with visitors. I recall my Grandfather wearing his cardigan sweater, knit by some acquaintance in Finland most Sundays after chirch. As a young boy that made quite an impression on me. The silver buttons, the gray/black/white fancy woven pattern and the embroidery on the sleeves seemed to me, a young boy, to be the clothing of someone important and in charge. It smelled great. When I smell a quality wool sweater, like the Dale products, I can smell the lanolin or wool and the memories come back.

My Dad wore a black cardigan with multi-hued embroidery for as long as he was with us. When his wore out it was a big deal to procuring a replacement. A relative in Finland arranged to have another one sent. They were hand made. After college, I only secured Dale and other commercially made ones. I do really enjoy them and wear them often.

Below is a fav.

i-vcBKzzV-M.jpg

Be safe, be strong and see you on the street soon, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Apologies. I re-thought my post above and wanted to provide some visual evidence of the wool sweaters. My above post might have come off as casual or off-putting. This was not my intention.

I do not believe the pics below are complete and are in no particular order.

i-Lqsd3sf-M.jpg

i-M3W3K6c-M.jpg

i-ZxJvdh9-M.jpg

i-5CkTd6B-M.jpg

i-BRZV5km-M.jpg

i-jrkS2nx-M.jpg

i-SdzT9rm-M.jpg

i-GHffnpt-M.jpg

i-RFjjSRC-M.jpg

i-XL5vKt7-M.jpg

i-VxTw9Tk-M.jpg

i-fMr7378-M.jpg

i-zZM5csr-M.jpg

i-89x6pwb-M.jpg

i-Z5mb5Pg-M.jpg

i-GwdmjqF-M.jpg

i-4xCV58d-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Aficionado here. I have Dale sweaters as well as other Scandinavian made sweaters, that I do wear. I have trimmed down to perhaps a dozen and a half.

My family, grandparents/parents imigrated from Northern Finland. The left after the Russians absconded with the land my Samii relatives raised and grazed their reindeer. The Scandinavian sweaters are what my family wore during the winters during special occasions, family dinners or with visitors. I recall my Grandfather wearing his cardigan sweater, knit by some acquaintance in Finland most Sundays after chirch. As a young boy that made quite an impression on me. The silver buttons, the gray/black/white fancy woven pattern and the embroidery on the sleeves seemed to me, a young boy, to be the clothing of someone important and in charge. It smelled great. When I smell a quality wool sweater, like the Dale products, I can smell the lanolin or wool and the memories come back.

My Dad wore a black cardigan with multi-hued embroidery for as long as he was with us. When his wore out it was a big deal to procuring a replacement. A relative in Finland arranged to have another one sent. They were hand made. After college, I only secured Dale and other commercially made ones. I do really enjoy them and wear them often.

Below is a fav.

i-vcBKzzV-M.jpg

Be safe, be strong and see you on the street soon, Eric -

Hi Eric,
Wow! Thank you for your two amazing posts which I loved reading and viewing. I totally agree with you about the smell of the lanolin and wool and the smell of these sweaters is certainly one of the things that attracts me. I associate them with the outdoors, hiking, camping and rugged but gentle masculinity. I have used then for all these activities as well. As a teenager and a student and young adult I wore them a lot and I have a few (two I said yesterday but I remembered that I have three) at my parents’ house which I wear when I visit them. It’s quite a big house and quite cold and so they are ideal. While I mostly wear military or fishermen’s sweaters (I started a long thread about the former), I really like these Norwegian (and other Scandinavian) sweaters and will buy another - or maybe more than one - in the Fall. My interest in them has been strongly reawakened recently.
On another note, I am interested by the Sámi culture, having been to a large exhibition about them in Stockholm. I would like to learn more about the Noidi (male shamans) and also the bear worshipping tradition. I believe that some of these are being revived.
You stay safe and strong too.
Best wishes,
Aidan

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Apologies. I re-thought my post above and wanted to provide some visual evidence of the wool sweaters. My above post might have come off as casual or off-putting. This was not my intention.

I do not believe the pics below are complete and are in no particular order.

i-Lqsd3sf-M.jpg

i-M3W3K6c-M.jpg

i-ZxJvdh9-M.jpg

i-5CkTd6B-M.jpg

i-BRZV5km-M.jpg

i-jrkS2nx-M.jpg

i-SdzT9rm-M.jpg

i-GHffnpt-M.jpg

i-RFjjSRC-M.jpg

i-XL5vKt7-M.jpg

i-VxTw9Tk-M.jpg

i-fMr7378-M.jpg

i-zZM5csr-M.jpg

i-89x6pwb-M.jpg

i-Z5mb5Pg-M.jpg

i-GwdmjqF-M.jpg

i-4xCV58d-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

I love all of these especially the photos where you are posing with them in the snow. I’ll send you a few snaps of mine when I get to them again (they are 80 miles away and we’re under lockdown as you are) and when I buy a new one (or more!) in the Fall.
Best,
Aidan

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Eric,
Wow! Thank you for your two amazing posts which I loved reading and viewing. I totally agree with you about the smell of the lanolin and wool and the smell of these sweaters is certainly one of the things that attracts me. I associate them with the outdoors, hiking, camping and rugged but gentle masculinity. I have used then for all these activities as well. As a teenager and a student and young adult I wore them a lot and I have a few (two I said yesterday but I remembered that I have three) at my parents’ house which I wear when I visit them. It’s quite a big house and quite cold and so they are ideal. While I mostly wear military or fishermen’s sweaters (I started a long thread about the former), I really like these Norwegian (and other Scandinavian) sweaters and will buy another - or maybe more than one - in the Fall. My interest in them has been strongly reawakened recently.
On another note, I am interested by the Sámi culture, having been to a large exhibition about them in Stockholm. I would like to learn more about the Noidi (male shamans) and also the bear worshipping tradition. I believe that some of these are being revived.
You stay safe and strong too.
Best wishes,
Aidan

Aidan, keep us informed of your awakened interest. I do enjoy the more traditional patterns and find myself picking out the more conservative hues to wear.

I am old enough that when I was on the ski team we were issued Dale Sweaters as part of our uniforms. Not racing, but uniforms. One year we were encouraged to travel in them. My sweater held up dynamite with all of the travel abuse a young male could give a sweater schlepping boots, clothing and ski bags around the world.

I love all of these especially the photos where you are posing with them in the snow. I’ll send you a few snaps of mine when I get to them again (they are 80 miles away and we’re under lockdown as you are) and when I buy a new one (or more!) in the Fall.
Best,
Aidan

Lockdown understood. Be safe sir.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Aidan, keep us informed of your awakened interest. I do enjoy the more traditional patterns and find myself picking out the more conservative hues to wear.

I am old enough that when I was on the ski team we were issued Dale Sweaters as part of our uniforms. Not racing, but uniforms. One year we were encouraged to travel in them. My sweater held up dynamite with all of the travel abuse a young male could give a sweater schlepping boots, clothing and ski bags around the world.

Lockdown understood. Be safe sir.

Eric,
I am really impressed that you were in a skiing team - and that you wore Dale sweaters as part of your uniform!
My interest in Norwegian sweaters hasn’t been ‘awakened’ but re-awakened. In other words it’s always been there and I have worn them since I was a boy but it’s stronger now. I shall buy a couple more later in the year: I agree about the more conservative and subtle hues. I’ll also send you a photo or two when I wear the ones I keep at my parents’ house - all of which I have had for many, many years.
Best wishes,
Aidan

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is not a Norwegian wool sweater item, but instead of opening a new thread, I wonder if anyone knows the proper name of this wool based fabric. It’s a hunting coat, has a very large visible woven patterns

Attachments

• 3FF8C92C-CDBA-475D-97F1-709FC091712E.jpeg
    3FF8C92C-CDBA-475D-97F1-709FC091712E.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 981
  • AFCF94F6-24AD-4C8D-BA3C-EC9AFB4895A6.jpeg
    AFCF94F6-24AD-4C8D-BA3C-EC9AFB4895A6.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 963

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Cold weather in my neighborhood has found me sport'n some Scandinavian wool sweaters of late.

DSC03510-M.jpg

DSC03455-M.jpg

DSC03414-M.jpg

DSC03407-M.jpg

DSC03338-M.jpg

All of the above are Dale of Norway sweaters.

Cheers and stay cozy, Eric -

Eric, can you tell me about the cap you’re wearing in the third from top photo? What is its brand and where did you get it? TC

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Eric, can you tell me about the cap you’re wearing in the third from top photo? What is its brand and where did you get it? TC
Sir the cap is a Cordova Cap. Made by Jonathan Cordova who has a shop on Etsy and a Facebook presence. This one was commissioned to be made with blue Harris Tweed wool.

DSC03417-M.jpg

On the What Cap Are You Wearing thread, https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-cap-are-you-wearing-today.81136/page-103, you can scope all the caps the "cool kids are wearing."

BTW: How about another sweater pic.

DSC03849-M.jpg

Cheers sir.
Cheers, Eric -

mrgrumpy

New in Town
A great post. It has reminded me of a heavy Breton sweater I had in the 1980s. Trying to find an equivalent now I just get high street “fashion” look-alike brands, nothing like the genuine garment. Does anyone know of a source for the latter, preferably in UK?

Edward

Bartender
Nice to see these crop up. They remind me a bit of Fairisle, but from a different geographical tradition. I could see me picking up a couple at some point. I'm also very fond of traditional Aran knitwear, though those lack the same colourful approach to patterning.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
A great post. It has reminded me of a heavy Breton sweater I had in the 1980s. Trying to find an equivalent now I just get high street “fashion” look-alike brands, nothing like the genuine garment. Does anyone know of a source for the latter, preferably in UK?

Peter Christian do a Guernsey Breton: warm, comfortable, elegant and a great fit. I shall send a link later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana