Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not much selling on Ebay??

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I have been looking on Ebay for some vintage suits and I can't find as many as in the past. It seems like there is a slump at the moment. And the few that are there are going cheap! What gives?

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Chicken and the egg- you're seeing fewer because they aren't selling.
I've seen several over the past several months sell for a fraction of what they're worth.
One seller from the Seattle area keeps posting KILLER suits, but he/she doesn't adjust the prices to match the demand- hence, they go round and round without bids.....

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Interesting that they are not as in demand as they were a year ago. I have seen suits go for 3-5 hundred or more in some vicious bidding wars. Its amazing how things change.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I think it's the economy. There are things I used to buy on ebay that went for a LOT more a couple of years ago than what they are selling for now. I'm talking in the category of old books, magazines and other paper items.

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
Well I don't have to worry about suits on ebay because it'll be a cold day in hades before a vintage suit in my size comes up for auction. However I did just score a couple of vintage ties for $10 and I'm watching some other auctions.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
It's the same way over in the Classified forum as well. Slow as can be, I can't seem to sell anything even at huge discounts.

Justin B

One Too Many
I actually just picked up a couple including an awesome herringbone for $15. I don't mind the discounted pricing in the slightest.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
There's been a relative glut of them on the UK eBay in the last couple weeks. Very, very nice ones. But are any in my size?

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
I have a 19 neck size and my shirts are 19.5. Good luck for me to find any vintage bowties, however I was thinking about how hard it would be to add some extra fabric and make it the right size?

Cobden

Practically Family
Even tiny wee 36 me is struggling finding decent stuff for the price you'd expect 36 inchers to go for on the eBay

lci419

Familiar Face
I have been looking on Ebay for some vintage suits and I can't find as many as in the past. It seems like there is a slump at the moment. And the few that are there are going cheap! What gives?

From my perspective, I haven't seen that at all. I am more struck that because of the downturn in the economy, sellers are becoming increasingly frustrated at lack of sales and are marking things up to make up the difference.

Case in point, a mere year ago I snagged two suits about a month apart. One was a early 40's single breasted in blue, the other a early 40's double breasted in brown. Both were in good/very good condition and fit me well (44 chest, 40 waist). I paid around $100 a piece for them. About 6 months ago I picked up a 30's double breasted evening ensemble in very good condition for $25. Try doing that today. I'm generally not seeing anything remotely like that for less than $200-300...for the starting bid. I'm not saying they are selling for that kind of money, but I did watch a late 40's suit with some slight mothing go for $170.

Maybe I got lucky and just didn't know it or my perspective is warped. Seems to me though, it is a buyers market and the buyer should be able to pull in some really good deals, but for me personally, I'm not seeing many good deals.

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
It's the same on the local craigslist as well, sellers expecting way too much just because they saw something similar to what they have appraised on antiques roadshow for $2000. Unless you have a trained eye you really are not going to know the difference between 1800's Sheraton furnature and 1920-30's Sheraton Revival. As people need money more desperately they higher the price they are going to expect for whatever it is they are selling... and they more they are going to be dissapointed when it doesn't sell.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I tried to sell a suit on ebay. It was priced at $100 and it never got a single bid. Thats when I realized that suits like this just were not selling for that price and very few were even listed :/

I think that its a shame how bad our economy has gotten. But I can understand sellers not wanting to let stuff go for dirt cheap. But something is better than nothing. I might have to relist mine and try again at a lower price point.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Shoes are also starting much higher than the usual USD9.99. The biggest problem is sellers constantly misdescribing items or failing to list faults. Sending stuff back internationally has become prohibitive since the rise in postal prices. I usually ask them to contibute to the return postage and hold the feedback over their heads.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I managed to sell a 1950s fleck suit a few months ago for $275, but that was rare and also rare to sell at that price. It was really worth around $225.

I recently bought an early 40s American nailhead suit - maroon (!) and grey - for £20, only bidder on UK eBay. I thought i'd scored the steal of the century, until I went through the seller's feedback and found that they had bought it for $26 from US eBay.

So, deal it was, but no steal. Which is nice. I was thinking of sending the seller a free vintage gift since i'd taken it so cheaply. Not thinking that no more!

On prices, I must say i'm more than happy to see vintage clothing prices coming down. It really sucked for old buyers like me, the last 3-4 years or so and the astronomical prices. 'til about 2007/8 I was averaging about $25 a suit … then I couldn't afford to buy suddenly as they shot up to $250 - online and bricks and mortar. Ludicrous.

bk

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
Oddly over the past few weeks I've noticed a bizarre influx of vintage onto the UK eBay - I can't speak for the U.S side but it's been refreshing to see new listings up. Most notably there seem to be more overcoats going for sale these days - perhaps due to the end of winter? Hopefully the chance to snap up a few more deals should appear - I certainly hope this trend carries on!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Vintage influx on UK Ebay, thank you, I'll be checking that out.

You know, I just purchased as great 1950s sportcoat on ebay, and I was the only bidder, I was shocked. That almost never happens.

Edward

Bartender
I'm seeing a lot of nice suits on UK eBay at the minute.... all about one size too small, or - that old bugbear - my size exactly, but about 2" short in the trews without sufficient leftover to let them down. Boo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112