Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not really a question.......

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
......maybe just thinking out loud. How many of you guys wear vintage, that although it fits you, is not technically your size? Let me elaborate: I was just going through some of racks of clothes and found a late 40's early 50's Palm Beach suit (worsted gray wool with electric blue slashes and Hollywood pants--quite remarkable actually) that I bought in Tennessee a few years ago. I tried it on and it fits like a charm. Then I looked inside the pocket. The tailor printed 40 reg. on the customer label. I am a 44 reg. Is it mis-sized? Or was it intended to be oversized?
I've been selling most of the things in my collection on Ebay that are not my size, like shirts that are labeled a medium. Sure, they fit me, but do they fit the way the are "supposed" to fit? I'm a large so it's hard to really say with vintage shirts, since they were all shorter to begin with. I've stopped wondering and just started selling them.
I'm gonna keep that suit though, since it's just too amazing to part with, but any new additions I make to my wardrobe HAVE to be my size!!
Any comments from my peers out there??
flat-top

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
If the suit fits......

Yeah. I know what you mean.
In general though,...cuts were bigger back then. Especially mid 40's to late 50's. More of that boxier straight angled look on the jackets.
Shirts too.
It wasnt till the late 50's and early 60's that the cuts started really slimming down and become much more form fitting.

EL C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto