Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not to be political but.THIS IS WRONG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like what Stetson did to this US Flag for this advertisement AT ALL....
A shawl or wrap out of fabric that is colored like a flag or has flags is one thing.
But this Flag looks to have served proudly & deserves more respect than being a wrap...

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Agreed, they took the expression of wrapping oneself in the flag and made it literal. There has to be a better way to express this sentiment.

tommyK

One Too Many
It is touching the ground which is disrespectful.

However, at least they are not embarrassed to use the flag in an advertisement like many politically correct companies these days.

Big J

Call Me a Cab

However, at least they are not embarrassed to use the flag in an advertisement like many politically correct companies these days.

Yeah! Unless this is supposed to be some kinda post-American century irony, or something? I don't know, I'm not that clever.

You know what, this is why I love Michael Bay films; always a nice big flag in brilliant sunshine.

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

galopede

One of the Regulars
Here's the sort of thing that happens to our flag!

ujp.jpg

Here's the sort of thing that happens to our flag!

View attachment 29657

I don't mind so much because they didn't take a real flag that appears to have been flown & make those undies out of it.
I don't mind so much when Olympic athletes take a new flag & hold it out between their outstretched arms & run around the track/arena/etc. then drape it across them or like a cape. That flag has not "served" yet...

But this image is of a well used flag that has served its purpose & needs the respectful retirement it deserves!
Stetson should KNOW BETTER!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I have absolutely no problem with the image, and Stetson should keep it. The flag is bringing the woman comfort. The US Flag code (legislated in the 1920s period of nativism and communist paranoia, much like many laws from the 1950s - consider the historical context) cannot usurp the First Amendment.

Brad

Last edited:

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Tom just so you know the Stetson.com retail site is not owned by Stetson. It is run by a company (I don't know who) under licence from Stetson Corporate. If you would like we are are a great old American company and love selling you stetsons or if you like Resistols, or any other hat you are looking for.

Jeff

It's not political correctness, it's respect and compliance with the US Flag Code. United States Code Title 36 Chapter 10, Section 176 (i): "The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever."

I have absolutely no problem with the image, and Stetson should keep it. The flag is bringing the woman comfort. The US Flag code (legislated in a time of nativism and communist paranoia, much like many laws from the 1950s - consider the historical context) cannot usurp the First Amendment.

Brad

True, the First Amendment protects disrespectful speech, but that doesn't mean it's not bad form. BTW, the flag code was first adopted in 1923, not the 1950s.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
True, the First Amendment protects disrespectful speech, but that doesn't mean it's not bad form. BTW, the flag code was first adopted in 1923, not the 1950s.

I know that. My post wasn't clear, but I've edited it. I said that the 1920s, when it was passed, were just like the 1950s in terms of legislating patriotism. A lot of questionable "Patriotic" legislation came from both time periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ