Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not trying to be cute, but...

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
All of my life, the compliment I hear most, even recently on numerous occasions, is that I am "cute." I rarely if ever hear anything else. For example, my supervisor at my volunteer job said: "Oh, PSG, you are just as cute as a button!" At a wedding in NYC I was talking to a professor about art, and he stopped in the middle of a sentence and said: "You really are very cute!" I'm OK with being a cute old lady one day, but since I'm not 12 or 72 I'm not sure I like "cute." I don't dress like a little girl nor do I wear a Bambi suit. :rolleyes:

Are there any other gals out there who are usually called "cute?" Does it bother you?

Tatum

Practically Family
Me. I get it all the time, it doesn't bother me though. I'd rather be cute than [insert negative slur here] ;)

ETA: "Adorable" is another one I get. Same idea I think.

The compliments I get that are "adult" are usually on here or by a friend who gets the vintage thing.

Justin B

One Too Many
Saying "You're cute" comes across better than "Hubba hubba!" The later likely to get you sent home with a hand print on your face.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I occasionally get called cute, and it may or may not bother me depending on who says it. Like Justin pointed out, a man saying I'm cute will go a lot further than any other adjectives he may pick.

My many old Italian relatives have always said how cute I am, as do my mum's friends.

I hate being called cute by people at work, though. I prefer "the rottweiler."

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've gotten "cute" my entire life. I'm short, I have a round face, and lots of freckles - the cute trifecta. lol

Believe me, I understand the "cute" frustration. Who wouldn't rather be "pretty" or "beautiful"? I've come to realize that cute is a compliment, and a good compliment as far as I'm concerned. I think we sometimes overanalyze things instead of just taking the compliment at face value and being thankful for it.

Last edited:

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
You're all cute. (Justin included, I suppose. ;) )

If I tell a girl she's "cute", its meant as a non-sexual friendly compliment. Guaranteed there are times you would be called "hot as hell", but the gentleman would bite his tongue and think better of it.

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
I think cute over your side of the Atlantic definitely has more "sexy" implications than over here!

have a similar problem in that I rarely get compliments other than "clever". Obviously, that's a nice thing to be called, but it's no fun when your friends get told they're pretty all the time!

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
My days are constantly surrounded by beautiful actresses and models who are always called stunning and beautiful and all those things we all want to be called. So I would have to say that yes it's always getting me down to only be considered cute or at best glamorous. But I've come to accept that at least I'm getting complimented at all.

And the one upside I have noticed is that I seem to attract more of the "right kind" of guy. I feel like I'm less intimidating and easier to approach than all the other girls I work with. Whenever I'm out with them I always attract nice guys where they always seem to attract jerks who are interested in nothing but their looks. I'm not sure it's an even trade off but hey there has to be some upside.

rue

Oh I don't mind.... it's better than a lot of other things I could be called. I grew up in "everyone is blonde and tan" California and having dark hair, no one noticed me, so the fact that anyone says anything nice is fine with me. I get embarrassed no matter what though and have tried very hard over the years to say thank you and not go into why they shouldn't think so.... still working on that one.....

Anyway, cute is fine :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I do that too, rue. I tend to return a compliment by saying something along the lines of, "Oh my hair looks so awful today," or something similar. I need to learn to just say thank you!

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I get called cute all the time. I figure its because I'm barely 5'2 and have the voice of a child. But yes, being called cute isn't so bad, there are worse things. Consider it a compliment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ