Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now All I Need Is a Tommy Gun

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Hello everyone,
Well, today is a glorious day. My new vintage Burton suit from England arrived today. Here is it's listing on eBay. I have a few issues, which I will get to later, but nothing major.

It came folded up in a soft mailing pack thing, no box... so, it's wrinkled. I'm not sure whether to take it to a dry cleaners, or not. It's not dirty, just musty. I have access to a steamer at work, so, I can take care of the wrinkles there.

Without further banter, here are the pics. This is the suit right out of the box, I just grabbed a shirt to model it with, so, I apologize for it being unironed. And I could use a better tie..

100_1249.jpg

100_1251.jpg

I think it looks great, but I need a new hat to go with it. And I just so happen to be working on designing a custom hat with Art, so, this suit is my inspiration.

Now I have a few questions. First, is this safe to go to a dry cleaners? If I tell them it's fragile, will they just blow me off? Second, would it be bad of me to replace some buttons? Let me explain..

100_1252.jpg

As you can see, on the right of the pic, one of the brace buttons is gone, and the other is loose. So, should I replace all the brace buttons? They match the jacket's buttons, so, if I can't find a perfect match to just replace the two, I'll have to replace all of them to match. The vests buttons are the same, just smaller scale. What should I do about this?

There are also two tiny holes, moth holes I suspect, in the inside thigh of the trousers, i'm not worried about them.

Oh, anyone know where I can find some braces by next Saturday (which is when I plan to debut my suit)?

Thanks for looking!

-Jeremiah

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
YES !!!!

I was sure that the suit would fit you to a "t". I'm so glad that it really does! A 3-button single-breasted with peak lapels, and pinstriped! You are one lucky guy. More photos, please!

Go to a fabric and sewing supply store and ask for black suspender buttons. They should have them in stock. You may have to buy a card with three buttons attached, but some stores sell individual buttons. Try not to get rid of the buttons still attached to your pants; just replace the missing button and resew the loose one.

Dry cleaning should be fine. If the suit isn't dirty or dingy, just steam it yourself.

You can get the moth holes rewoven professionally. A dry cleaner or tailor can steer you in the right direction. If the holes aren't particularly noticeable and don't "bug" you (pun intended!), don't bother.

Need suspenders quick? Try a tuxedo shop or a thrift store. Obviously, a tux shop will have more variety than a thrift store.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Thanks Marc, I would have never found this great suit without your heads up. I looked into some tux places, all they have are clip on suspenders. I should have known that, I work at one of them. But, no problem, I just ordered some black button style braces from Belt Outlet.

I think I'll try to just find some matching, or close to matching buttons, that way I'll only have to sew on one button (and resew another). I'm confident I can take care of that myself, although I've never sewn before. I have to start somewhere I guess. The moth holes i will look into sometime, but i'm not too worried right now, they're teeny tiny.

I've decided against dry cleaning, it's really not dirty. I just need some Febreze to get rid of the "vintage odor", and a good steaming.

I'll have more pics of this as soon as my personal photographer returns from hiatus (when me dad's home from work). I definitely plan on attending the event on the Queen Mary this year, and I'll definitely be wearing this great suit.

Thanks again, Mr. Chevalier!

-Jeremiah

PS - Just in case someone with the capabilities sees this, could I have this moved to the Suits forum? My mistake. :)

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Lovely suit!

I would advise you to get it properly cleaned. There is a thread here about making sure to always get clothing cleaned before wearing it. Check it out. Whether or not it's visibly dirty, you don't know the sanitary habits of the person who wore it last -- and many mites, molds, etc. are invisible on the cloth.

I learned this one the hard way: I don't know what was on the pants of a suit I purchased a few years ago, but SOMETHING gave me a hideous rash all around the waistband, even through a shirt and undershirt!

For that matter, even new clothing should be cleaned before wearing, when possible. Some dyes and other treatments can be irritants, as I discovered when I wore new black (unwashed) boxers on a steamy July day in New Orleans several years back.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Hmm, you talked me into it. I guess you can never know what kind of critters live in pants that haven't been worn in awhile. I'll end it there. I can splurge on $10 for a good cleaning. :) Thanks for scaring me into it Burma! Just kidding.

I do have one question. What on Earth will I do with four pockets on a waistcoat? I have a pocket watch to go in one, but what about the others?? Throwing knives? ;)

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i take vintage clothes to the dry cleaners all the time. don't worry about it being 'fragile'. although its 60 years old the fabric is thicker and stronger than most fabrics today.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Beautiful suit and it fits you wonderfully. Congratulations!

Don't worry about the dry cleaners; it will be fine. Daisy Buchanan has sent silk and lace and all sorts of 70 year old fabrics to the cleaners with no issues.

Also, the buttons can be replaced by a reputable tailor. He will match the buttons for you to some of the thousands he will have, no doubt, on hand.

I can't wait to see the hat!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Burma Shave said:
I would advise you to get it properly cleaned. There is a thread here about making sure to always get clothing cleaned before wearing it.

I bellieve the tale was about a gentleman who bought a jacket, wore it without having it cleaned, and found that his neck broke out in some sort of nasty scabie picnic trough...

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
That looks great Mr. M. Quite an Ebay snag. Beauty!

*silently: oh to be young and slim once more...*

Thanks, Jake! I'm very pleased with it, I can't help but use a British accent when I have it on. Now I just have to make sure I keep up my girlish figure so I can always wear it.

Grimstar

Familiar Face
Niiiiiice...

That is one sweet suit, and it looks great on you. It looks like the fit is just right. I agree with the others, the dry cleaners should be no problem, wool is a truly amazing fabric. As far as the buttons, check with the local tailors, they may be able to find a matching replacement. As far as sewing them on...here's a good tip... http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000099.html This guys site has lots of interesting info when it comes to bespoke tailoring.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Thanks for the link! I got all my buttons sewn on, and it looks just fine. I managed to find some similar, but not the same buttons. It took me a couple hours, but I got them all on and in position. I also ordered some braces today, here...

Braces

They're nothing special, but they'll work. As it is now, I have a white French cuff shirt, and black tie with pocket silk to go with it. I need some snazzy silver cuff links and some black and white wing tip shoes and i'm all set.

The pics I posted really suck, but I promise to have some better ones. Maybe tomorow.

Grimstar

Familiar Face
Thank you, also! Some of the braces on that site look really nice...I might just have to order a new pair :p For cufflinks....check ebay, of course....I've gotten some really nice vintage ones on there recently, and there are always plenty of them listed. Silver would definitely be nice with that suit, or maybe a nice smokey mother of pearl set in silver....very classy.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a find - it looks like it was made to you. It doesn't even look like it needs altering at all. The photos look great - almost like something from the 1930's. I'd definitely take the others' advice and have it cleaned - it'll look even better all freshly cleaned & pressed. You might ask the cleaner's opinion about any holes - if they can just be simply sewn up (which would stop them from raveling and getting larger) or if they need something more drastic. I know reweaving can be pretty expensive and time-consuming. It's getting to be a lost art as well. But again, congratulations on a great find!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Yes, i'm going to see about taking it to the cleaners this weekend. I may have to end up having the pants taken in an inch or two, but i'm not sure how that could be done successfully without ruining that fishtail back.

Thanks for all the geat compliments, guys. I'm VERY happy with this suit, I can't wait to wear it out.

-Jeremiah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21