Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now and Then

Mycroft

One Too Many
I got thinking today and I was thinking of things that were tolerated in the Golden Era then today and Visa-Versa. Here it goes:

Back Then:
Smoking
Drinking
Polution
Segregation
Mistreatment of Women
Racism(especially against African-Americans)
Anti-Semitism

Now:
Homosexulaity
Freedom for all religons
Equality for all
Equal opertunity for women

Coment, question, or contribute, if you wish.

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
It's funny but a person actually was safer walking down the street after midnight during the golden era days. What's right and what's wrong with that picture. You used to hang for murder back then too. Now you can openly act crazy, plan a murder, and then song and dance in court to a crazy beat and waltz into a padded cell at the local asylum(country club). Even freedom has it's dark side. Now you can openly smoke pot in some cities and maybe recieve a twenty dollar fine. :cool2:

Canadave

One Too Many
I think your lists are invalid and poorly thought out. A few examples...

*Ask a homosexual who is the victim of gay-bashing how that tolerance is going.
*Freedom for all religions? Do you listen to right-wing radio or read the newspaper?
*Women still make about 70% of what men do in the same jobs.

What was your point in compiling this list?

David

Mycroft

One Too Many
Canadave said:
I think your lists are invalid and poorly thought out. A few examples...

*Ask a homosexual who is the victim of gay-bashing how that tolerance is going.
*Freedom for all religions? Do you listen to right-wing radio or read the newspaper?
*Women still make about 70% of what men do in the same jobs.

What was your point in compiling this list?

David

You are right, it was a wrong, very genrlized list.

SappySwami

Familiar Face
And this is all very in the eyes of the beholder. For instance, I'm on the other side from Brad, and hoping someday we wont execute anyone. So you can see how this goes.

By the way, pot was legal in this country in the Golden Era. Even while Alcohol wasn't.
:beer:

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You lit my fire on this. It is not personal.

SappySwami said:
For instance, I'm on the other side from Brad, and hoping someday we wont execute anyone.

So what do you do with the deranged suspect in Atlanta who while facing conviction for his violent crime, overpowers a female sheriff's deputy, storms into the courtroom (instead of simply escaping to freedom), cold bloodly shoots a judge, the court reporter, and then another sheriff's deputy who is attepting to stop him?

Then the ******* carjacks a couple of people, wacks a guy on the head, launches a full scale dragnet of State, Federal, and Local Law Enforcement Agencies, becomes the "top story" on National News...and now has sought out and murdered another person.

I'm sorry. I DO NOT agree that this scum should ever, ever, be spared the death penalty. You want this POS to sit in prison for life at the taxpayer's expense, clogging the legal system with endless appeals?

That is what is wrong with America. No JUSTICE. I am HOT mad at this incident. I believe that life is absolutely precious. I am against abortion, murder, child molest, abuse of any kind. But mad dogs must be put down.

I understand your point. Really, I do. I also respect your point.

I just disagree, which is my right. Remember the families of the VICTIMS. Where is their closure and their JUSTICE?

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
I didn't know Pot was legal during the golden era. Society is so loose these days that it is a weird thing that it was legal then. Society and America's laws give and take too much. Execute the killer or let him skate the legal system. Both ways someone has died or will in the future. Maybe there will be a new murder or the killer will reform himself into a preacher or a saint. But will that person kill again? Maybe a mass killing. What if his next target is you? Chilly thought isn't it? You could be hanging out with your chums at the local pub and one of your chums leaves and kills someone later that night. I have been through this five years ago. One of the guys open fired on a guy for accidently hitting the back of his pickup truck. Then he killed anyone that stopped to help. He killed five in all. His day job was a drug rehab counciler and killed them all during a drug high. Never seen that one coming. :cool2:

SappySwami

Familiar Face
Don't want to steer this topic off course too much..

I see you're point Andy. But I hold all life sacred, even that of a killer. It may seem a contradiction, but to have qualifications on compassion is also a contradiction... Anyway, I don't think we should let killers run around doing what they like of course, but as long as they aren't able to hurt other people, and remain themselves unhurt, I think that is the best situation. It costs, if I remember, three times as much to have people on death row, because of the special appeals they are allowed. It would be cheaper in the long run to not have them on death row. (If I'm right, I'll have to look into that later.)

Brad, that situation is horrible for sure, but the death penalty doesn't stop things like that from happening. It is used on such people for retribution, and that is ultimately what I'm against, for my own reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points