Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

cm289

One of the Regulars
Picked this one up last year from eBay- used Milan straw Stratton. I think it was a Sheriff’s Dept hat, originally black but sun-faded to a chocolately brown. It had a cloth band that I replaced with leather. It’s become my primary scouting hat since felt is generally too hot for hiking where I live.
93047AE8-49F2-4D71-B0D6-F195AB979A3C.jpeg

NotHardly

New in Town
Here’s a long delayed rehab project. Here is an old Boy Scout hat. I cleaned it dropped in a new sweat. Then braided up a paracord hatband. My daughter loves it.

Attachments

• CBD3B52B-3AFD-42D3-B66D-91D433AF9684.jpeg
    CBD3B52B-3AFD-42D3-B66D-91D433AF9684.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 78
  • BCF1E949-F0A5-49A0-8C98-BD1F4BAC9062.jpeg
    BCF1E949-F0A5-49A0-8C98-BD1F4BAC9062.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 78

Robieman

A-List Customer
If anyone is interested, Coleman’s Military Surplus has used Army Drill Sergeant Campaign hats on sale for $19.95. They are only size 7 1/8, and are “soiled”. I figure for 20 bucks I’d take a chance.

M Hatman

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the link! There is no direct match but it seems to fit best in the 1920 to 1942 category.
Yes....on your dates and the cords are enlisted. Very often NCO's would buy nicer hats (private purchase) and other goods, which this would be (private purchase from a suppler). Officers clothes were ALL private purchase until 1942 when the Quartermaster Corps would start supplying them for the first time........
NICE Example!!!!!

fireman

One of the Regulars
Officers before WW2 had a wide degree of latitude on uniforms.....like all armies at the time. They bought their own and they had to have them made to the pattern but there was still some degree of individuality. That certainly could have been made custom by Stetson or modded by them. Also, Philly was where the USMC had much of their pre WW2 782 gear made at the Philadelphia Navy Yard Depot. (USMC gear made there would be marked DPQ.) It might be USMC.

wsmontana

Familiar Face
Yes....on your dates and the cords are enlisted. Very often NCO's would buy nicer hats (private purchase) and other goods, which this would be (private purchase from a suppler). Officers clothes were ALL private purchase until 1942 when the Quartermaster Corps would start supplying them for the first time........
NICE Example!!!!!
Very helpful! Thank you!

wsmontana

Familiar Face
Officers before WW2 had a wide degree of latitude on uniforms.....like all armies at the time. They bought their own and they had to have them made to the pattern but there was still some degree of individuality. That certainly could have been made custom by Stetson or modded by them. Also, Philly was where the USMC had much of their pre WW2 782 gear made at the Philadelphia Navy Yard Depot. (USMC gear made there would be marked DPQ.) It might be USMC.
Thanks for the reply!