Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NR Davis Side-By-Side Shotguns - Advise?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I need advice and I'm hoping one of our members can help.

I have been offered two (or one of two) NR Davis hamerless shotguns from the 1920's. (NR Davis stopped making firearms about 1935, as far as I can tell). One is a 16 guage in fine condition, nice and tight, great patina. The other is a 20 guage, the stock of which saw damage and repair at some point and is a bit loose here and there. The price difference between the two is dramatic, but both are, as I understand it, offered at well below show prices.
I used to do quite a bit of trap shooting in the early 1980's, but my knowledge of guns has fallen away. Anyone know anything about the desireability of these shotguns? Should I jump? They feel very well-balanced.

sg1.jpg

sg2.jpg

sg3.jpg

vonwotan

Practically Family
Scotrace,

Do you have the particular models? I am not familiar with this particular maker. Hopefully the following will help.

Here is some basic info about the company and a link to Gabel Guns, a shop specializing in firearms produced prior to 1898. They have a bulletin board with quite a bit of good inforamtion.

http://www.gabelguns.com/QuestionsAndAnswers/SearchResults.asp

N.R. Davis and Co., Assonet, Freetown, Me. circa 1853-1917 made hammer and good quality hammerless shotguns selling for $65 in 1887 and marked "Rival". Also made guns under Sears, Roebuck brand names. In 1917 they merged with Warner Arms Co. changing their name to Davis-Warner Arms, they became inactive about 1921. In 1930 they merged again with Crescent Arms Co. becomming Crescent-Davis Arms Co. They were again purchased by J. Stevens Arms Co. in 1932. Stevens was absorbed by Savage Arms Co. of Westfield Mass. in 1936.

Odd, but I have also posted this link to the Vintagers, Order of Edwardian Gunners, several times this week. Their memebers are a terrific resource and frequently have a booth at the larger registered shoots.

http://www.vintagers.org/

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
These are marked NR Davis & Sons, then Davis-Warner Arms Co. (which seems to place them 1920-1930)

Excellent info, thanks!

They appear to be, from quick internet research, "Diana" models.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I'll be up at Minuteman on Sunday and will ask whether anyone there is familar with these guns. We have a few real "sweet sixteen" enthusiasts that might have some additional information.

I've been shooting registered skeet for the past twelve plus years and rarely get out my one remaining matched pair. Much of my collection was sold to support three unemployed years of travelling for shoots. The only other side by side I have was my great uncles ABBIATICO & SALVINELLI that mostly gets gently cleaned and sees the range in perfect weather for special occasions. I compete with a Perazzi mirage and have the ubiquitous Krieghoff that I would happily trade for another Mirage S.

Bret4207

New in Town
I believe I've seen a couple Davis SXS through the years. While not an LC Smith , Ithaca or Parker, they were serviceable guns. Assuming the one you choose, (get the 16!!!), is tight and otherwise in good shape I'd say go for it. You'll want to see if the 16 has the 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" chambers. I'd also make sure the barrels are not damascus unless you want to shoot black powder or black powder pressure custom smokeless loads. I'd guess a value between $250.00 and $400.00, maybe a bit more.

Good luck from a gunsmiths kid and 16 gauge lover.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks Bret4207 - that's excellent advice. The 16 would be the one, for sure.

But you know, I broke them down and discovered some ugly welds. That seems to make the price (in line with your figures for a good example), a bit high. It seems safest to pass, and get some knowledge in hand before heading to the auctions this year.

Thanks again! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran