Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Nuther Depp Hat Story

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Elect Depp a Honorary Member of the Lounge

I think Depp did a nice gesture - and sent a hat to the boy wich was his size with the other gifts.
The gift hat came from Depp.
PR or not PR - it was HIS hat.
Johnny is a good actor I like the man in his roles.
He did so much to promote hats, (real NICE FEDORAS) the least we could do to grant him honorary FL membership.

Regards>

Tom

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Very nice of Mr. Depp to send the boy the hat. I bet that must have been on nice surprise when the box was delivered. :eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
Depp has been one of my favourite actors for some time (I believe him to be arguably the best of his generation); it is always nice to read about someone you amire professionally being a nice person away from the limelight too.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
woodsie said:
Nice gesture by Depp, indeed. But the mother and her little darling are nothing more than two bit beggars :whip:
I have to disagree. The...burst from a 12 year old is nothing if not innocent. And the mom trying to follow up to make her son happy, or shut up, is, again, not an act of a "beggar". Now, if they were asking for money, a Ferrari, something of that nature, I might agree. Or, if they put the hat up on OFAS ASAP, again, your assertion might have credence. But they didn't. Nah, it's just a precocious kid and a determined mom, combined with a celebrity and his hat, to make a very nice story.

woodsie

Banned
Mr. Lucky said:
I have to disagree. The...burst from a 12 year old is nothing if not innocent. And the mom trying to follow up to make her son happy, or shut up, is, again, not an act of a "beggar". Now, if they were asking for money, a Ferrari, something of that nature, I might agree. Or, if they put the hat up on OFAS ASAP, again, your assertion might have credence. But they didn't. Nah, it's just a precocious kid and a determined mom, combined with a celebrity and his hat, to make a very nice story.
Maybe the kid's "burst" was innocent, but it was stupid. And the mom's follow up e-mail was totally obnoxious at a minimum. As to my assertion having credence, they've only had their ill gotten gain for a brief period. This lid will be on Craig's List or the Bay before you know it. I have been in college and professional sports my whole life, Messieur Lucky, and there's nothing more obnoxious to me than to see younguns with their hands out for autographs, with enabling, gloating parents encouraging them. Only my humble opinion. ( first humble one I've had in 30 plus years):)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Woodsie, I see your point but would like to assert that the view doesn't apply to everyone. A short example.

My wife and I used to participate in Vintage clothing shows and I in fact was one of the owners of the promotional company producing them. We did 3 shows per year in Santa Monica and obvoiusly were exposed to the famous and have met some of the folks mentioned in the article. We ( wife and I) had a rule that these people were on their "off" time and we wouldn't ask for autographs and that worked, right up until Mark Harmon went through our booth. After leaving, the wife melted and said something like "OH DAMN THAT RULE!".

Wanting the wife to be happy ( it ALWAYS is a good thing) I went to Mark , told him of our rule, but that my wife was agonizing over it. He laughed, not only came back to the booth, but snuck up behind her, put his arms around her, and said.."I understand someone here wants to meet me". Bottom line is that he not only enjoyed the process, but he stayed in the booth over an hour helping customers until his wife pulled him out. He became someone I correspond with occasionally and actually borrowed a necktie from me for a Jay Leno appearance.

SO, I contend that it depends on the individual being asked as to how it's perceived. Obviously, you take it in a negative tone ( beggars) while others don't.

woodsie

Banned
"Can I have your hat, Mr. Depp"?

Art,
It is with all the due respect to you that you have so rightly earned here that I reply. The difference bewtween the two situations is that you asked a favor of someone you were aquainted with, however casually. And you and your wife are adults. I do not so much blame the 12 year old in aforementioned article, but his mother's follow up is akin to, if not downright begging. You may wish to call it a negative tone, but I agree with your "Down time" assessment, and have always accorded the famous their privacy. By the way, I'm a big fan of yours Art, and might you send me an autographed HST in Willow Green, size 7 3/8, gratis?
Best,
Woods

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
By the way, I'm a big fan of yours Art, and might you send me an autographed HST in Willow Green, size 7 3/8, gratis?
Best,
Woods

"Get away from me kid, ya bother me!!"

Having just experienced this for the first time, I see your point!! lol lol I can laugh right now because this sort of thing is new and outrageous for me. Although, I've never been asked in quite that way I HAVE made hats etc for charity events, but with your experience in sports I can easily see your point of view. Kids will and do ask for the most outlanish things so no fault there, he's just a kid. I must have missed the part of the article with her follow up ( maybe I didn't read far enough) but if thats the case, depending on how it was done, it would be "tacky" at the least, "beggar" at worst. Since my signature ( except on the divorce papers) has no value I have a hard time relating to a request like that or taking any offense to it. I might if I were asked every day, constantly. Even more so if i saw it on the Bay the next day.
Just out of curiosity, has this been a part of your experience?

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Chiming in alittle. That whole chain of events told in the story is something in part or whole that my family would not do,BUT..........I can see a kid making such a request of someone he admires and looks up to. There are so few good role models for kids these days, and Johnny Depp appears to be one looking at his life casually and from the outside. I can also see a mom sending off an email fulling believing that it would never be responded to. The fact that him and his 'people' responded to an email that could have easily been ignored with no fallout speaks more about the character of Johnny Depp than the character of the child or mother. Johnny Depp just became more than just a actor in my book, not that my opinion matters.:eusa_clap

woodsie

Banned
Please Gimme your Hat, Carribean Pirate

Art Fawcett said:
"Get away from me kid, ya bother me!!"
O.K., Master Craftsman, we are getting on the same page. It has been part of my experience, and a pet peeve since childhood. I was introduced to Ted Williams at age 11 by a local sportswriter, and actually spent a week at his baseball camp a few years later in 1963. I obviously revered him, but I NEVER even came close to thinking about asking him for his autograph. As to the value of your autograph, I will defer to your assessment of your John Hancock. So forget signing it, and Willow Green is merely my first choice. A light beige will be just fine.lol
Best to you,
Woods

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I obviously revered him, but I NEVER even came close to thinking about asking him for his autograph

I understand exactly Sir. I have been privledged to meet many accomplished people but have not asked for autographs ( just seemed tacky), with only one exception. I grew up on a golf course and was able to meet Arnold Palmer when I was 14 in '63 while he was playing a tournament in San Fran. He, along with Billy Casper, Ken Venturi, and others signed my entrance ticket for me and I still have it to this day. I have no idea if it has value to anyone else, but is priceless to me if for no other reason but to remember my youth.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
woodsie said:
Maybe the kid's "burst" was innocent, but it was stupid. And the mom's follow up e-mail was totally obnoxious at a minimum. As to my assertion having credence, they've only had their ill gotten gain for a brief period. This lid will be on Craig's List or the Bay before you know it. I have been in college and professional sports my whole life, Messieur Lucky, and there's nothing more obnoxious to me than to see younguns with their hands out for autographs, with enabling, gloating parents encouraging them. Only my humble opinion. ( first humble one I've had in 30 plus years):)
I must beg your pardon for I must disagree. I work in 'the biz', and have for quite some time. For many years I worked for a very high profile charity with lots of 'star power' behind it and I have seen 'beggers' and I have seen 'askers'. I have seen those who are out there, with a stack of headshots, wait outside a posh eatery for some 'name' to exit so that they can get a bunch of sigs that will end up on the 'da Bay and they are nowhere near, in intent or execution, those 'kids' with their 'parents' asking for a small token of being near someone of fame. As well, and according to the story, Mr. Depp had made himself available to local fans, and it was in this venue that a young kid spit out a request, and, again according to the story, slightly embarrassed his mother. And, Depp said "Yes. When I am done with it." Now, I don't know about you, but having been a 12 year old boy myself, and been around many a young man in my family, when promised a gift from a star, a young man would have, or give, no peace until that hat was got! A simple email is not harassment. Calling every day is. I hold no animus against her for her actions. Nor do I think I this hat will appear on the 'da Bay, just like my 1973 Buffalo Bills, OJ Simpson signed, Genesee Beer Team photo never did.

I work in a jaded business, having moved from the charity side to...another area. There are enough negatives out there, the story makes that clear. I am glad for this boy and his mother. I think this was a genuine act - on all their parts. Now, and in no way is this meant to be discourteous, but do you really have to besmirch such a kindness? Isn't there enough of that?

woodsie

Banned
Huh?

Now, and in no way is this meant to be discourteous, but do you really have to besmirch such a kindness? Isn't there enough of that?[/QUOTE]
Besmirching such a kindness? Even if that were grammatically and physically possible, you are quite off topic, and miss my point. To do so, I would have had to demean Mr. Depp's act of charity, which I never did, nor would. I still stand by my inappropriate behavior comments, as the proper etiquette of the mom, would have been to tell her son to leave the kind gentleman alone. She exposed her true greed-based colors by Googling Depp's production company, and firing off an e-mail, BEGGING for him to "Keep his promise". Kids need to learn proper manners, and not be enabled by parents who do not teach them aforementioned manners. No discourteousness intended, Messieur Lucky, just my humble opinion.

MAB1

Suspended
I'll bet... there are many Lounge members who collect autographs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Stars sign autographs.

The problem these days is the relentlessness of the papparazzi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21