NYT Article on Bing Crosby, Baseball; Hat Images Included

Discussion in 'Hats' started by CitizenGenet, Sep 25, 2010.

1. CitizenGenet

CitizenGenet Familiar Face

2. Andykev

Andykev I'll Lock Up Bartender

Could be anything

They could be Dobbs, Stetson, Cavanaugh, or MacLaughlan. Who will ever know? I bet whatever brand, they were "high end" top of the line.

Notice the suit, coat and tie also? How folks used to "dress up" for a ball game!

3. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

Bing was a regular customer of the Cavanagh shop on Park Avenue. It doesn't necessarily mean that he wore Cavanaghs exclusively, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to put my money down that at least one of his hats in the two photos are Cavanagh.

Brad

4. brienlee

brienlee New in Town

Cavanagh Shop

My father, Marty Lee, ran the Park Avenue shop and then the Cavanagh Brand as VP-Sales for many years-- until 1972, in fact. He told many proud tales of fitting Mr. Crosby with the "configurator" gizmo that produced a custom outline of a man's head for sizing. It sure looks like a Cavanagh (in the three-shot, at the top of the article.)

Best,

Brien Lee

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim One Too Many

Don't forget that Bing was also an endorser of the Stetson Whippet. Even if he was a regular with other brands, it's likely there were a number of Stetsons in his closet.