Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OBSESSiVE/COMPULSiVE A-2 Behaviour?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
has anyone liked a brand of a-2 they've gotten, but got two different sizes of it for different looks?

for a post ww2 look i love the uswings milspec a-2 i got in 46long, however, uswings military size 46 is slightly larger than most brands...it has a more current, fuller look to it on me...but i like it with the jacket closed for a zipped up winter look...

but i'd also like a trimmer fit version that a military size 44long would give me...so off i go buying a second one...

am i the only one that would, or has, done something like this???

in my defense, until dec 31 all uswings signature series jackets are 10percent off, so in a long the jacket i'm getting is $224 for a military spec a-2

how sick is this behaviour? or is it not sick?

johnnyjohnny

p.s. curious, maybe others could share some of what might be their compulsive/obsessive a-2 behaviour, or maybe what they don't consider oc, but their wife, girlfriend or cat or dog thought was out of line?

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I don't buy things in different sizes, but when I was buying everything new I'd buy things in different colors. This is especially easy to do with shoes. I don't think it is odd, it just shows creativity. A lot of people would probably be bored if their clothes were all doubled or tripled.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
It's not strange.

I know what you are saying. I myself Have 30 plus leather jackets, heck I live in Florida. Whats the chance I'll get too wear all of them? Never the less I'm happy with the various makers. My wife is starting to get a little upset.

Can you ever have too many? SORRY! I'm the wrong Guy To ansewr that question.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know what you mean. My original A2s range from size 40 to 44. All are worn from time to time and, yes I do have two from the same maker, 1401p Rough Wear in a size 42 and RW 18091 in a size 44. Sometimes I prefer a slightly trimmer fit so I wear a size 42, but as you know there was considerable variation in jackets tagged the same size in the war.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
I have A2s for works and A2s for when I am not at work,

Indeed I have A2s for summer work and summer play and winter work and winter play!! (So I don’t feel like I’m at work when I’m not, if you see what I mean?

The Winter A2s are bigger (Room for more layers)

Then the Irvin’s and motorcycle jackets, blimey I hope I don’t put on or loose any weight or I shall have to start again!! :eek:

Milu

Familiar Face
jamespibworth@n said:
I have A2s for works and A2s for when I am not at work,

Indeed I have A2s for summer work and summer play and winter work and winter play!! (So I don’t feel like I’m at work when I’m not, if you see what I mean?

The Winter A2s are bigger (Room for more layers)

Then the Irvin’s and motorcycle jackets, blimey I hope I don’t put on or loose any weight or I shall have to start again!! :eek:

Ditto ditto ditto. I only have one I would classify as a summer A2 but I also have spring and autumn jackets!

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
no 12-step for me...

rather than a 12 step program i think--with all the support of the members who have answered here--that i shall go on a 12 jacket program...

to paraphrase a great quote: "i love the smell of a-2s in the morning"

(among other things, of course)

thanks,
johnnyjohnny

Wow!

I'd just like to say, if you can support this habit, not go into hock and pay the bills, you are doing pretty darn good in my book! I have an A-2 copy by a no name company in India or Pahkistan or someplace over that way that is reasonably well made. I can zip it up so it fits pretty good, but I would never consider getting another in a different size. A different leather and color maybe if I hit a jack pot at Vegas or the Lotto at home.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm beginning to have my doubts about the multiple A-2 thing. I'm finding that in order to get some time with all my jackets, I'm having to rebuild my cooler weather wardrobe more or less around A-2s (as well as my G-1 and A-1). This means I miss out on some neat looks, notably those involving sportjackets, altho the hats fit in just fine.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
COMPuLSiON

good points fletch and covina john...however, i am compulsive and have been wearing 501s since college (no, not the same pair), so the perpetual a-2 look will go well with the perpetual 501 look (tho i do have a milspec g-1 for those 'dress up' moments)...

as for breaking the bank, i have stuck with economical post ww2 a-2s, authentic to the post 80s milspec qualifications but about $250...

but i better stop...with this last purchase i won't be able to afford kitty litter until new years...the cats haven't been too understanding...

the a-2 purchases are over for awhile...

at least until after new years

best holiday wishes
johnnyjohnny
jackets anonymous

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I wish I could afford to be a multiple A-2 owner. For now it's just my one and only old faithfull Aero Real Deal. She's is in the shop right now getting a deadstock early 40s Talon put on.

Now my obsessive side...well, my wife would say it's the growing collection of hats from Art...:rolleyes:

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Yeah I had two Buzz Rickson RW models one in 42 and one in 44. Sold the 44 to buy another BR. Regret doing it sometimes but do like the new BR too. Got too many jackets and just not enough time to wear them all. And don't get me started on watches.:eek:

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
If seen enough period photographs to conclude that there isn't a typical or authentic 'WW2 fit' for an A-2 jacket. Some pilots wore them snug and trim, and others more loosely. Perhaps it's because they were issued by the QM what was available, and the pilots didn't have the opportunity to nitpick over the fit. It was just another piece of flight gear.
I wear A-2 from sizes 38 up to 42, and to me they all appear equally 'authentic' in fit.

johnnyjohnny said:
has anyone liked a brand of a-2 they've gotten, but got two different sizes of it for different looks?

for a post ww2 look i love the uswings milspec a-2 i got in 46long, however, uswings military size 46 is slightly larger than most brands...it has a more current, fuller look to it on me...but i like it with the jacket closed for a zipped up winter look...

but i'd also like a trimmer fit version that a military size 44long would give me...so off i go buying a second one...

am i the only one that would, or has, done something like this???

in my defense, until dec 31 all uswings signature series jackets are 10percent off, so in a long the jacket i'm getting is $224 for a military spec a-2

how sick is this behaviour? or is it not sick?

johnnyjohnny

p.s. curious, maybe others could share some of what might be their compulsive/obsessive a-2 behaviour, or maybe what they don't consider oc, but their wife, girlfriend or cat or dog thought was out of line?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
the Enabler

thanks mazeta, you have given us all the go ahead to indulge in multiple size looks for each a-2 we've got...and i shall take advantage of it dearly, scooping up that 44L version of the 46L a-2 i already have

many thanks from me...not from my bank account
johnnyjohnny

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
...or course, we have our favorites. Although I wear from 38 to 42 (depending on the contract manufacturer), I think the smaller sizes look best on me!

johnnyjohnny said:
thanks mazeta, you have given us all the go ahead to indulge in multiple size looks for each a-2 we've got...and i shall take advantage of it dearly, scooping up that 44L version of the 46L a-2 i already have

many thanks from me...not from my bank account
johnnyjohnny

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
an A-2 is not an A-2 is not an A-2...sizewise

shakespeare was wrong with that rose analogy when it came to a-2s, and i'm not even talking about quality/style/cut...but as fletch points out, sizewize...

some numbers...i am going to give here the inch counts for shoulder seam to shoulder seam, and armpit (at the bottom of the arm to sleeve seam) for a number of MILSPEC a-2 jackets...all military correct, by manufacturers making the jacket under contract numbers...all post 1987...verrry interesting as artie johnson would say (if you are old enough to recall him, if not, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIfbCCtWr5I )

the following are all size 46, again, milspec:

spiewak and sons circa 1980s:

armpit to armpit: 22 1/2"
sleeve to sleeve: 20

cockpitusa reissue of avirex's 1987 milspec:

a to a: 25
s to s: 22

cooper circa 90s:

a to a: 22 1/2
s to s: 20

usawings current milspec:

a to a: 26
s to s: 22

now, if you get uswings measurements from them, they don't measure the chest/armpit to armpit from where i do, which is at the bottom of the armpit at the seam of the sleeve and the main jacket...so their own product info will differ there...but here's a bit of interesting info, using the same measuring points as above, uswings current milspec 44 is bigger than most of the 46s past and present above (except, obviously, their own 46):

uswings milspec current 44:

a to a: 24 1/2
s to s: 21 1/4

and the funniest thing about all these different sizes is that they all fit me, with some slight variation, but they all look quite proper...that is NOT talking about length...just shoulder and chest fit...i am 6'1", 45+" chest, shoulders that max out a 16 1/2" shirt, a 33" waist

it's totally bizarre that a-2s could have so many size variations, even when going milspec, and that (aside from length) they could all fit nicely...just slightly different looks

the slimmer ones i think would be better for summer wear, the larger (such as the uswings 46 on me) are great for full zip up with layers for winter...giving all of us the excuse to buy tons of a-2 jackets, in all different sizes

get your credit cards out boys

happy new year
johnnyjohnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy