Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odette Churchill

H.Johnson

One Too Many
The Imperial War Museum (North) currently has an exhibition about war-time French Resistance heroine and SOE undercover agent Odette Churchill that is well worth visiting. Hers is an amazing and inspiring story. She was captured due to a betrayal to the Gestapo in 1943, tortured horrifically and sentenced to death in Ravensbrucke. She survived the war, testified against her captors at Nurnberg and returned with her husband to live in England.

Of particular interest (to me, anyway) is that her George Medal* is on exhibition. I recall this being stolen during a burglary. The event was publicised in newspapers at the time and the burglar returned the medal with polite apologies. You don't find burglars like that any more...

Added later: The text of the note of apology was apparantly, "You, madam, appear to be a dear old lady. I am not all that bad - it's just circumstances. Your little dog really loves me. I gave him a nice pat and left him a piece of meat. Sincerely yours, A Bad Egg."

* Mme. Churchill was also awarded the Legion d'Honneur.

MissECP

New in Town
Odette Churchill is real inspiration to me. Her story is amazing. To go through all that she did and survive it just shows how strong she must have been. Its a terrible shame alot of other agents didn't survive but, Odette was able to be a spokesperson and helped keep their memory alive after the war.

I'd love to go and see this exhibition, thanks for letting us know about it.
P.S wasn't there a film made about her?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I think you would love the exhibition. It includes the pistol with which she was probably to be shot, given to her by a rescuing American officer. It was that close. Hers is the only GC awarded to female SOEs in her lifetime. The others were, of necessity, awarded posthumously... Such brave women, let us treasure their memory.

Yes, the film to which you refer was 'Odette' (1950) starring Anna Neagle in the title role and (be still your heart, I bet!) Trevor Howard as her husband Peter.

Also, of course, there is 'Carve Her Name With Pride' (1958) the story of heroine Violette Szabo starring Virginia McKenna. Both well worth watching.

MissECP

New in Town
Quote: H johnson - "the film to which you refer was 'Odette' (1950) starring Anna Neagle..."

Thanks, I'll try and find it.
Don't know if you already know about this or if it is included in the exhibition but, I had a look on the Pathe newsreel website: www.britishpathe.com and typed in 'Odette'. It has got some original footage of the premiere for the film, with Odette and Peter in attenance. There is also footage of her speaking in an interview in 1946 if you type in her other name 'Odette Sansom'. It's right at the end of a piece called 'people in camera'.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Thanks, Miss.

I use the Pathe News website a lot - I found it on the reading list of a rather dry academic book on WW2 gas mask bags!

MissECP said:
Quote: H johnson - "the film to which you refer was 'Odette' (1950) starring Anna Neagle..."

Thanks, I'll try and find it.
Don't know if you already know about this or if it is included in the exhibition but, I had a look on the Pathe newsreel website: www.britishpathe.com and typed in 'Odette'. It has got some original footage of the premiere for the film, with Odette and Peter in attenance. There is also footage of her speaking in an interview in 1946 if you type in her other name 'Odette Sansom'. It's right at the end of a piece called 'people in camera'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112