Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

Vanessa

One Too Many
" Men seldom make passes / At girls who wear glasses "

ST4074.jpg

maintcoder

A-List Customer
I don't know about that phrase. I have always liked the librarian look, especially if she has the 'naughty librarian' thing going for her! :D I would be willing to bet that Ms. Monroe fielded many passes with that look...

Honey Doll

Practically Family
funny...

maintcoder said:
I don't know about that phrase. I have always liked the librarian look, especially if she has the 'naughty librarian' thing going for her! :D I would be willing to bet that Ms. Monroe fielded many passes with that look...

My husband has voiced the very same opinion. He likes it when I wear my glasses.

Honey Doll

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I try not to look down on those less fortunate souls who can not or will not accept that specs rule.
50sblackeyeglassessmallerzy2.jpg

There were several girlfriends who initially caught my eye because of their bold choice in eyewear. I'm not kidding and I bet that other men appreciate this also.

Sorry to have intruded into your space ladies. I couldn't resist such a well done thread title. :)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marilyn Monroe looks a lot like Patricia Hitchcock in that picture, very cute. I recall when fake eyeglasses were a fad in the 80s. I had real ones: men's. Machinist-type frames. (Safety glasses) Guys were lining up. My female friends gave that optical shop a lot of business that year. My latest pair is a frame called Crystal: clear. plastic. rectangular. Guys are still lining up. I get thrown the 'schoolteacher' or 'librarian' lines, too.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I adore vintage eyewear. It's just so much fun, and a nice finishing touch to any outfit.

I have slight astigmatism, but not enough to require a prescription (not yet anyways), so I'm on the hunt for some vintage sunglasses right now. My boyfriend, on the other hand, needs some vintage eyeglasses, but we're having a hard time finding the right ones to fit his face.

Rayban makes some new, very vintage style men's eyeglasses right now, if anyone's interested!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm terribly nearsighted -- about 20/100 -- and have been wearing glasses since the fourth grade. Well, actually, that's not quite right. I was prescribed glasses in the fourth grade, but the first day I wore them to school I got razzed so badly that I refused to wear them in public again. It wasn't until a disastrous incident in a gift shop four years later in which I demolished an entire row of plaster bird baths because I couldn't see where I was going that I finally agreed to wear them full time.

I can't stand the thought of contacts -- the idea of sticking something in my eye every day is something I just can't handle -- so I'm stuck with specs. And they actually help hide the dark circles under my eyes, so I guess they have advantages.

I have a couple pairs of my grandmother's old frames that I've always meant to get refitted -- maybe when I move to bifocals, I'll make the transition a bit less upsetting by getting them put in nifty frames!

I've been wearing glasses since the 3rd grade and had to go through the horrible frames of the 80's.:mad:
In the 8th grade my Dr. suggested I wear contacts to slowdown the decline of my vision. I wore them up till a few years back when I finally got plastic lenses (yes I always wore heavy glass...thanks Mom:mad: )
Now I switch between contacts and my vintagy looking glasses.:D

Avalon

A-List Customer
My eyesight is horrendous. I've worn glasses since I was 7 and contacts since I was about 19. I like to switch off between the two - it's more fun that way. ;) Also, in contacts, you can't shoot someone That Look‚Ñ¢ over the tops of your frames. :D

Elaina

One Too Many
I had to get these cute little wire frames my whole life (although my first pair at 4 was Strawberry Shortcake) and I love the heavy black nerd ones, so I wear contacts around my family because everyone says "Oh you'd be so much prettier if you..." blah. My husband likes me sans glasses, but usually I wear them at home for computer work, sewing or anything I need to iuse my eyes for that can possibly strain them, and contacts every other time.

Glasses have never hurt me getting a date. My brother (who is tatooed within an inch of his life and embraced the "bad boy" wholeheartedly, and women swoon over repeatedly much to my "ews") likes women in glasses. My nerdy husband doesn't care for them, and I think it boils down to what you find attractive. I betcha we were to all walk into a room we'd all find diffferent men attractive.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I love my glasses! Only a solemn promise to my mother to wear contacts on my wedding day is keeping me from rocking out my frames.

I also collect vintage eyeglass frames. For the Ebay shoppers out there, I highly recommend the seller eyeglasses123. He's so sweet!

When I get home, I'm going to post pics of my collection.

Yeah!

Faye Valentine

I started wearing glasses when I was 6 years old. The worst thing about it was that my mother chose the frame for me. They were these thick peach/flesh colored grandma glasses like the ones they wore in the 70's. I got teased a lot (called a nerd and such). I even remember when I was 7, (I don't know if it was the same for you ladies at your school) but the bell rang at the end of recess for us to get in line to go back to class. So while I was waiting in line for the teacher to come out and walk us back to class, this boy (a year older than me) ran into me from behind. When I turned around, his smiling face suddenly turned into fear and he yelled and ran away from me. All his friends were laughing at him for running into a "retarded" girl. Not only was it sad for little ol' me but thinking back to that time, just the thought that kids were afraid of kids with a retardation problem was sad.

Anywho, as you can tell from my icon, I wear glasses. They have cute rinestones on the side of each. Got 'em at costco for $70 (Good deal!). Sometimes, I don't like to wear my glasses because I feel like they're hiding my eyes. My mom blames my glasses for taking away my "beautiful eyelashes." They used to be really long and would curl up every time I got sleepy. I would like to wear contacts but I have astigmatism and I don't want to pay that extra mulah...haha. (gosh I sound like SUCH a cheap person!)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I have to wear glasses as well, mainly for driving, but, I think my doctor would appreciate me wearing them a little bit more :) I really like the subtle wire frames the best as well. I always try to go with something in a brown shade. I tried contacts for about half a year then just got too fed up with them. I had no problems putting them in, it was taking them out that was a big pain at times :( I'm also one of those people who REALLY don't like touching my own eyeball, so the whole thing was not in my comfort zone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points