Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh yea... I think I just got a score!

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
While watching in the last minutes, I was sure this hat would go higher. I just bought a Stetson "Gun Club" as recomended by a lounger. I won the hat for $13.50 ($25.00 total shipped) :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260374959225

What do you think? Did I miss something, or is it just a really good deal? From what I have found on-line, this is the Stetson Catera Gun Club hat. It is listed as a 4X quality fur felt with a full satin lining. List price about $165.00

After a close cut hair shave (my normal style) and a measurement with a metric tape, I was able to get a better size and came up with 56, so it appears that I might really be a size 7 (which I can see on the had band!)

316091.jpg

Daoud

One of the Regulars
That's exactly the hat you need, and you stole it. Good work! Now, it is entirely possible that this hat has shrunk up a little. Since you don't have a lot of wiggle-room size-wise you might want to get yourself a hat stretcher or hat jack- if you have a Harbor Freight Tools nearby they have one that's perfectly serviceable for just a few bucks.

If it's shrunk you can wet it down, put that stretcher on it and give it a turn or two- not too much- let it dry overnight and you'll be good to go.
But that hat might fit like a glove from the git go.......even so., chances are it will shrink a bit at some point, so if it does, don't freak out - it's no big whoop. Just don't use any artificial heating methods or leave it in the sun to dry.
Congrats on your hat!

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Thanks, and am very happy with the sale! I had tossed $50 at and figured I may be outbid. Hoerver, I wanted the hat and I really liked the color. I still can not believe that no one else bid on it! The color and head-band is just what I wanted, and from what I found on line, it is a really good hat too. (and real fur this time!)

Thank you very much for the tip on the hat strecher too. I am one of the lucky guys that have a HF in my area that I work in.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Well, I think someone mentioned to you in an earlier post that you are in an enviable position with your smaller hat size as far as the used/vintage hat market goes. Every day I have to let a truckload of hats pass by me because they're too small....you'll be able to build a fine collection in no time, without having to dig TOO deeply into your wallet.

MattJH

One Too Many
Twenty-five bucks for a beaver felt Stetson is a pretty great deal. I'm already envious of your size. Take advantage of it and try out all sorts of styles. Take eBay risks - remember that if it doesn't work on you or fit you, you can offer it here and make the money back or just re-list it on eBay. Your options are nearly limitless in a size 7.

I currently have five vintage fedoras in my 7 5/8 - 7 3/4 size -- an Adam Executive, a Bott TropicWeight, a Dobbs 20, a Herbert Johnson, and a MacLachlan. If things go well, a Stetson 3X SelvEdge will be added to that list shortly. Know how much I truly paid for all six hats when I zero everything out? Probably about $100, honestly. I've bought and sold so many hats on eBay via the TrialAndError Path that it all sort of evens itself out. I can only think of one or two occasions where I actually lost money on a hat flip, the most frustrating of which is my recently sold Stetson Whippet. Paid $150 or so but it only sold for $90-ish. Depressing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters