Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Oh you need Fluff fluff fluff, to make a fluffernutter with Marshmallow Fluff"

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
As you are sitting by the radio in the kitchen, nothing to do, having not done anything all day. It's 12:00 and the cat clock starts mellowing and suddenly on the radio you hear a strange yet familar tune.

"Oh you need fluff, fluff, fluff, to make a fluffernutter, marshmallow fluff, and lots of peanut butter. First you spread, spread, spread, your bread with peanut butter...." sings out of the radio like a hymn for lunch.
Your stomach starts to rumble and you know it's about time to eat, and what better way to have lunch than with Marshmallow Fluff. Yes ladies and gentlemen, Marshmallow Fluff, with that white sticky feeling of heavenly goodness. When you're hungry and there's no reason to cook or bake, just bring out that loaf of bread and spread it with Peanut Butter and Marshmallow fluff. It's heavenly goodness!

http://marshmallowfluff.com/media/audio/fluffall3.mov

marshmallowfluff.jpg

A little history of my own of this spread:

Two years ago my parents and I visited my sister and her boyfriend in Boston. My sister gave my dad two jars of this stuff to give to me. At the airport, my dad thoughtlessly threw away both jars with the conclusion that under security and airport regulations, food was not allowed to brought on aircrafts. These were the first two jars I had and never had the chance to taste either of them.
Later that month when we got home, I told my sister of my dad's action and she being aggravated, said she'd bring some when she came to visit. She brought back two more jars and when I first tasted it, I was in heaven.

For the longest time my favorite sandwich had been Peanut Butter and Jelly, but this took the cake. The sandwich that is. After my sister left to go back to Boston, I finished up these two jars within about 4 weeks. This spread was not available in my town and I didn't want to have to wait until my sister came around here again. I found out they sold it online. I bought 4 jars. It came just in time for when my mom left for the weekend. I later found out it is more expensive online. That was the first and last time I ordered it from there. The next year, in August, I went to visit my best friend's house in New York and brought a jar with me to share with her. She hadn't had it before either. We shared two sandwiches and I left her with the jar. This was my last jar from the online order.

When I got home, my friend told me that it had become her favorite sandwich and that her mom was buying her more. It wasn't until October that I would ever have it again. For the second time, I went to visit my best friend. This time she bought some for me :). (I felt special). We shared a few sandwiches during my visit and I left with one of the two jars. I left the other for her. I finished the jar after awhile. I wouldn't have another until much later.

The next year, for the third time I visited my best friend, her mom had bought some more. I had told myself that this time I would buy some for myself since it was not being sold anywhere around my house or further. During my visit, the thought slipped my mind when I could have had the chance. I returned home without any jars.

At the beginning of this year, my sister and her boyfriend were coming home, to stay. My sister had said she would bring some home with her, and so she did. She came back with 2 jars, which was good enough for me. At this point I was more cautious with the amount of sandwiches I'd have every week. I am on the second jar, but it is slowly becoming empty after 3 or 4 months. Within 2 years I have had exactly 9 jars of Marshmallow Fluff.
According to their website, there is but one market that sells Marshmallow Fluff in California. There are 22 in New York.

Here is theirs: The History of Fluff

So what is your story with the wonderful spread?
Any recipes, info, anything related?

Novella

Practically Family
I was always under the impression that marshmallow fluff and marshmallow cream were the same thing. Is this not true? Even if they're not the same, you could always get some marshmallow cream as a substitute to tide you over until your next jar of fluff. Kraft makes marshmallow cream, and it's usually next to either ice cream toppings or marshmallows in grocery stores. I've bought it at Albertson's a million times.

marshmallowcremecr9.jpg

Eating peanut butter directly from the jar? Yum. Eating marshmallow cream straight from the jar? Delicious way to mainline sugar, yum. :)

I've eaten peanut butter and marshmallow cream sandwiches all my life. I was always surprised when I had friends at school who'd never heard of the combination. I always liked it better than PB&J.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
My sister brought home this offbrand stuff. it doesn't compare. :)

Thank you, I'll look for it.

Any tales of how to came to find this brand?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Like all good New England kids, I grew up on Fluffernutters, with creamy-style peanut butter on Nissen's white bread. The Lunch of All Lunches.

But another good use for Fluff is homemade Whoopie Pies -- you take two big soft chocolate cookies, about the size of two silver dollars side by side, and apply a hearty layer of Fluff between them. Squoosh them together, and prepare to Indulge! It's things like this that got us thru the long cold winters....

Avalon

A-List Customer
Don't forget the homemade fudge!

MARSHMALLOW FLUFF FUDGE

1 can evaporated milk
1 stick butter
4 c. sugar
Dash of salt

Cook to soft ball stage then add in this order 2 tablespoons vanilla, 4 squares bitter chocolate, 1 large bag Hershey's kisses, 1 cup of nuts, and 1 (13 ounce) jar of marshmallow cream.

Novella

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
Any tales of how to came to find this brand?

I've never actually had the marshmallow fluff brand before. When I was little my Mom would make fluffernutters, although she never called them that, they were always just peanut butter and marshmallow cream sandwiches. Kraft was the brand the grocery store always carried, so that's what my Mom always bought.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
katiemakeup said:
Cleary any type of marshmallow fluff is supposed to be used for S'MORES!! What's wrong with you people!!??:p

Ham of "The Sandlot" doesn't seem to think so. He uses real marshmallows. :D

"Ham Porter: Hey, Smalls, you wanna s'more?
Smalls: Some more of what?
Ham Porter: No, do you wanna s'more?
Smalls: I haven't had anything yet... so how can I have some more of nothing?
Ham Porter: You're killing me, Smalls! Now pay attention: this is smores stuff. First you take the graham. You stick the chocolate on the graham. Then, you roast the mallow. When the mallows flaming, you stick it on the chocolate and cover it with the other end. Then, you stuff."

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Y'know, I grew up in the midwest happily snarfing peanut butter and glorping marshmallows, and it never once occurred to me to put peanut butter on a marshmallow, or marshmallows in a sandwich. Now why is that?:eusa_doh:

Smores, OTOH. Food of the gods. There is nothing in this world like watching a helpless marshmallow undergo trial-by-fire.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Novella said:
I was always under the impression that marshmallow fluff and marshmallow cream were the same thing. Is this not true? Even if they're not the same, you could always get some marshmallow cream as a substitute to tide you over until your next jar of fluff. Kraft makes marshmallow cream, and it's usually next to either ice cream toppings or marshmallows in grocery stores. I've bought it at Albertson's a million times.

marshmallowcremecr9.jpg

Eating peanut butter directly from the jar? Yum. Eating marshmallow cream straight from the jar? Delicious way to mainline sugar, yum. :)

I've eaten peanut butter and marshmallow cream sandwiches all my life. I was always surprised when I had friends at school who'd never heard of the combination. I always liked it better than PB&J.

I've always thought they were the same thing. I figured it's one of those instances where it has a different name on the east coast than on the west. It is used exactly the same way, even the fudge recipe is the same.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
When I saw the jet-puffed marshmallow creme at the local safeway after reading the thread I felt I had to buy some. The I faced the wrath of my wife. I didn't know she held such strong (bad) feelings about the stuff.
I have however had many toasted fluffernutter sandwiches since.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
The Wolf said:
When I saw the jet-puffed marshmallow creme at the local safeway after reading the thread I felt I had to buy some. The I faced the wrath of my wife. I didn't know she held such strong (bad) feelings about the stuff.
I have however had many toasted fluffernutter sandwiches since.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Sneak a couple of sandwiches every day. ;)

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
We got Marshmallow Fluff over here a couple of years back... Although I really liked the taste, I didn't think too much of it on a sandwich. I'll have to try it with peanut butter I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points