Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil pull Aero hides

Chris217

New in Town
I'm thinking about getting a Aero A-2, and I can't make up my mind if I want the Jerky horsehide or the Oil pull horsehide. Do you guys know what the difference is and how do each of the hides wear over time? Thanks

Chris217

New in Town
I agree, none of my Eastman's have that true original grainy look to them like the Aero. I saw the pictures of Paddy's Aero oil pull A-2 and like the way the hide looks. It seems the oil pull looks more distressed.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Beware of the oil-pull horse. It looks great but the leather tends to leave a residue of whatever color it is on anything that rubs against it, be it other coats in your closet, your car seat, etc.
The jerky stuff is the way to go. Also check out the Buzz Rickson's bronco hide for some nice grainy horse.

shamus

Suspended
I'll take a photo of my jerky horse from aero with a few years of wear on it to give you an idea what it'll look like...

shamus

Suspended
Yes, I really like it. It's not heavy jerky but a bit more lighter...

I went with seal and rust cuffs, I have the 42-15142-P contract model.

It can really take a beating... as I don't baby it all.

My half-belt is a tad heavier than the A2 and it's taken a nice beating also...

I remember I bought a few A2's from Aero a few years ago on a special and one had a REALLY jerky area on the arm that you can actually feel, the difference as it was almost lumpy! I got a good deal on it but I bought it to sell.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Shamus,

That sounds like a real nice A-2. I'm really thinking of a 40 Aero in jerky but don't know if I'm goin seal or russet. Those rust knits are the way to go.

Allen

shamus

Suspended
I agree, love the rust. Keep in mind that over time the seal will lighten up kind of like a russet....

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
My Aero has landed!

I was going to post a new thread, but since this one is related I'll chime in with my two cents. After waiting several months (do to an apparently unheard of shortage of horse hides) I received my Aero A-2 last thursday. It's a jerky horsehide 42-15142-P contract model in seal brown like the one Shamus mentions. I went for the rust knits also,they go well with the seal brown.

It was worth the wait. This is a beautiful jacket. I bought it from Aero's U.S. rep . Mark Moye via their eBay store. His customer service is great and I avoided paying the import duties by buying from him.

I don't have access to a digital camera at the moment but will try to post some pictures soon (maybe later this evening). I'd love to see those pictures of your jacket when you can put them up, Shamus.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Shamus great point. A large # of original Aeros were seal the wore to what folks say is russet.
Sefton, if you're in the US Mark is the way to go. Great guy and very easy to do business with. Congrats on the new Aero.

shamus

Suspended
it's too dark to take them outside, so I took a few on the floor...

The front (camera must have been dirty...lot's of spots)
front.jpg

The back
back.jpg

The Jerky pocket
jerkypocket.jpg

Example of wear and the green stitching
weargreenstiching.jpg

Discoloration and wear on the sleeves
arm.jpg

The shoulder area
shoulder.jpg

The tag
tag.jpg

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Shamus,
Your A-2 looks well broken in. How long have you had it for? Mine is quite a bit darker and I'm wondering if yours started out a dark brown and lightened or if you perhaps received a slightly different shade of seal brown than I did. Is there a range of shades for seal brown? This is my first A-2 so I don't have anything to compare to.

Also I forgot to ask to have my name tag given the "aged" look and it really stands out against the dark of the jacket. Is there a way that I can darken it that is recommended? I was thinking that a light coat of brown shoe polish would do the trick. Anyone know a proper method that won't do any harm to the tag or the jacket?

shamus

Suspended
Sefton said:
Shamus,
Your A-2 looks well broken in. How long have you had it for? Mine is quite a bit darker and I'm wondering if yours started out a dark brown and lightened or if you perhaps received a slightly different shade of seal brown than I did. Is there a range of shades for seal brown? This is my first A-2 so I don't have anything to compare to.

Also I forgot to ask to have my name tag given the "aged" look and it really stands out against the dark of the jacket. Is there a way that I can darken it that is recommended? I was thinking that a light coat of brown shoe polish would do the trick. Anyone know a proper method that won't do any harm to the tag or the jacket?
Thanks guys... I like it.

This is my 2nd daily wear A2 from Aero. My first was a size 46 also, and had the silk lining, but the sleeves were too short and I ordered this one with longer sleeves. I guess I've had this one for about 4 years or so... right when Aero started making the anniversary model. I did have the my name tag sewn on, and I put the patch on myself... it took me 2 years till I could muster up the courage to poke holes in it...

Brown shoe polish should do the trick, a few days in the rain and sun will too. I do wish I ordered the AAF decal though.

I'd like to see yours when you get a camera. I remember opening up the box and there was a great smelling jacket with no creases... good times....

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Hey Shamus, any chnace of getting up some pics of your half-belt? I saw a Highwayman at the QM summit and it resolved my desire to get a long half-belt. I don't know what kind of hide though, now that I'm hearing that the oil-pull bleeds color... what's the jerky all about?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
O.K., here are (I hope) some photos of my new Aero A-2:

Collar detail:
detail

Full view front:
detail

pocket detail:
detail

Repro. nickel Talon zipper:
detail

Texture detail:
detail

O.K. I hope that works this time. The pictures should be viewable now. Best regards, Sefton

Chris217

New in Town
Thanks for the pics Shamus! Thats a GREAT looking jacket, and I love the way the finish wears. Thats just what I'm looking for in a A-2. You guys certainly made my decsion much easier. That jerky hide is a winner.

Chris217

New in Town
Sefton said:
Shamus,

I put a liitle olive oil on my leather nametag (not the jacket) to darken it up a little. Once the oil worked in and dried it took that brand new look off it.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Horrible Aero oil-pull A-2 (Observations of an owner)

THE Oil Pull is not to everyones taste, so to all you folk in here who enjoy a nice, plasticcy clean looking, spanking new, glossy, blousy 21st Century mall street styled A2, well....99.9 per cent need not apply!!

Mmmm, that horrible old oil-pull, why on earth would you ever want it..?

For goodness sake guys, you've really got to think long and hard about this, ....It ages to a vintage look very quickly, like your grandpappy who flew B17's over the skies of Europe has handed it down to you.

Do you really want a jacket that can look like that..??????

Not everyone wants that rugged, aged, vintage 50 mission look.

Not everyone would want a 'real deal' oil pull that has a mix of jerky and smooth leather HH that mixes with the aging of the hide to create an authentic WW2 'beat-up' 'jerky popping' 'car stopping' jacket.

I fully understand that it is not to everyones taste. The argument that was raised about the oil-pull staining your clothing. Well, all I can say is that it hasn't happened to me, but that's not to say that it doesn't happen. But don't be mislead by the word 'oil.' As the hide is 'not oily.' Maybe it happens with other hides too, but I have no personal examples to give.

All I can say is that if you don't want a kick ass early 20th Century look military A-2; 3 oz authentic weight horse hide, with the natural oils trapped in the skin, and a mix of (this is optional) jerky and smooth to make up a 'real deal' syle A-2 that will vintagefy/age within a matter of months where folk will stop you in the street to comment on your 'real WW2 A2.'

well.....I'd stay clear of the old oil-pull piece of hide then guys, it's just not your cup of joe!

NORMANDY-BEACHES2035.jpg

AeroA2pix002.jpg

AeroOilPullA2012.jpg

AeroCloseups002.jpg

NORMANDY-BEACHES2011.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko