Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil & Silicon tanned

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I'm looking at several different upscale boots and have come across the words Silicon and Oil Tanned. While I'm certainly not an authority on tanning, I always thought these two descriptions were enhancements to the basic tanning processes, not actual tanning methods in themselves. Can anyone shed a little light on this?
Thanks, Retromoto

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm looking at several different upscale boots and have come across the words Silicon and Oil Tanned. While I'm certainly not an authority on tanning, I always thought these two descriptions were enhancements to the basic tanning processes, not actual tanning methods in themselves. Can anyone shed a little light on this?
Thanks, Retromoto

I am among the least knowledgeable here but, with that caveat, I understand that oil tanning refers to a process whereby the leather is tanned all the way through, as opposed to a surface tan/color. For example, with an oil tanned black, the color will not scrap off and thereby reveal a different color (brown) center/sub-layer, because the color goes all the way through. In contrast,, there are other tanning methods which merely color the outer layer of the leather, while leaving the center a different/original color. With this tanning method, if you scrap the outer layer, the different color center will show through. Some people prefer this method because it allows the leather to age and acquire a vintage look.

I have no idea what Silicon tanning is.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I think the Oils or Silicon is added after the basic tanning process has taken place for an increased weatherproofing although not positive so I thought I'd ask.
Retromoto

Last edited:

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
There might be ostensible waterproofing benefits with silicon but I've never been a fan of silicon on leather. I don't do it to my shoes and I definitely would NOT consider it for a jacket. Let the waterproofing 'chips' fall where they may.

armscye

One of the Regulars
I think we may be confusing parts of the process here. Most of the steps of tanning are actually the process of removing all of the elements of an animal hide that would otherwise decay-- the most common active ingredients are the acids in tannins from bark, the chemicals in some animal organs (so-called brain tanning as practiced by native Americans), or chrome salts. Only after all the degradable stuff is gone are the hides treated with oil, and then only to restore their flexibility. So oil isn't the primary tanning agent, but rather the final restorative step.

I'm also always a bit surprised by the repugnance of many Loungers for silicone oils. Far from being a rotting agent, they are categorically the most neutral and non chemically reactive of all oils-- that's why they can be used in soaps, foodstuffs, and as the main ingredient in what are euphemistically termed "personal lubricants." The main case against silicone oils is that they are way too good at binding themselves to pretty much anything. So when you begin using a silicone oil, it essentially blocks other oils from displacing it.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
As the OP of this thread, I feel I should clear some things up. The words Oil Tanned and Silcon Tanned were actually provided to me by a boot manufacturer. I did not pull them out of the air or from this site.

I'm aware oils are frequently used in the tanning process, I wanted to know at what stage this happens, what oils are used and what the benefits are, so I asked.

Correct me if I'm wrong although it sounds as if the use of Oils or Silicon are for some other purpose other than the basic tanning of the hides, IE. increased flexibility, weatherproofing, etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk