Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oilskin coats

sinawalli

New in Town
A couple of years ago, I was in the market for a oilskin coat. Not having the resourse of this forum, I checked out Ebay. I originally bought a Kakadu one, and it turned out to be cheaply made piece of crap, made in china no less! Luckily, I was able to return it. My friend has one made by Koolah, and it was what I was looking for. I found one locally, had it shortend to thigh length, and love it! Very well made, waterproof, and has the nice thick oilskin. Anyone else have one? What do you wear? Heard lots about Drizabone! Thanks!!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have 2 Drizabones. Very, very well made. But I refuse to wear the duster type design which looks terrible and is a cliche in this country. It was worn by many in the 1980's who took The Man form Snowy River film seriously.

I have a Brumby (a short coat) and another which is like a standard parka.

GWD

One Too Many
I have a Koolah "Jump" duster I bought in the early 90's in Wyoming. Great Quality Coat but it doesn't get used here in California.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I picked up a Lewis Creek Stockton Barn Jacket on eBay for $90 a while back.
Stunning quality! :)
(made in Scotland like another one of our favorite jackets)
yhst-65651309097913_2088_454750

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Peacoat said:
Good looking jacket. I'll keep the company in mind when my Barbours decide to retire. But the way they are going, they will outlast me.
I owned a Kakadu Nelson but sold it since it was way too big. I'm curious, how does the Kakadu fall short compared to other makers? It seemed like a heavy, substantial garment to me but I've never handled other waxed cotton jackets.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I have to agree about the Kakadu Nelson-I have one,and I'm quite pleased with it,and I consider it to be the equal of my Barbour International for quality.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Filson in Seattle WA has some very nice waxed cotton coats in three different weights. Excellent quality, but may not be the style you're lookin for.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I had an oilskin duster of the "cliche" type mentioned in the thread. I liked it, especially in snow, and for working. Even though it wasn't lined, it was warm, and I could work in below freezing with it on and just a sweater. Eventually it tore, and I don't know what happened to it (kids...?). You have to wear it a lot to break it and get used to the oily feel.

wagus tailus

New in Town
I’ve got the Drizabone ‘Bushman’ its about thigh length, I got it because it has the hood on it. Fairly heavy weight oilskin, also has a light lining in it. I also got one for the dog; less wet dog to dry is a good thing!!

Duper

Practically Family
Hi folks. This is my first time stepping over the fence from thr "Hat" section. Last weekend I got drowned like a rat when we had some car trouble. I was wearing a multi-purpose nylon shell jacket that came down just below my waist. After a couple of hours it didn't matter. Shirt soaked, shorts soaked,,Duper soaked.

Since then I realized I do not have any true longer length rain wear jackets and the search began.

I have been looking at the Drizabone mens short coat. The don't sell them anywhere around here so I thought I would ask your opinion. I like the shorter length and it is offered in a number of colours. I was thinking maybe of the antique or the green colour.

So before I order one off the internet I thought I would ask. Do any of you own this coat? Can you suggets any alternate but similar casual rain coats? I have never owned an oilskin coat so are there any downsides to this fabric you could alert me too. Texture, smell, care?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.drizabone.com.au/store.asp?pr=15&ban=M&store=Mens-p-1-c-1250

Chainsaw

Suspended
I've had a couple oil skins, I usually treat my Timberland, or even a Karhart jacket will do. You can get Thorn proof dressing at the local hunting store, I get mine from Le Baron. Even Dubbins for boots will work. Try not to wash the jacket, or you will have to reapply.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Duper said:
I have been looking at the Drizabone mens short coat. The don't sell them anywhere around here so I thought I would ask your opinion.

Probably not much use to you as you're in Canada but any Melbourne based Loungers after a Driza short waist length jacket should bowl into David Jones. Saw them there over the weekend for a very good $140 odd.

Hal

Practically Family
OP - please look at the current thread Rain jacket?. You will see that several of us find jacket-length waterproof rainwear impractical, as rain run-off makes one's trousers wet unless overtrousers are worn, and so we find a coat of standard overcoat/raincoat length to be much more protective.

Duper

Practically Family
Hi Hal, thanks for pointing me at the rain jacket link. I understand the length issue spoken of. It isn't very comfortable if the top of you is dry but the bottom is soaking wet. I do have full rain gear, jacket and pants for outdoor activities like fishing. While they are practical, they are none to pretty.

Perhaps this is a better link to the coat I was thinking of purchasing. I was hoping for something casual to wear with denims and a nice Akubra hat on those rainy nights when I am out walking the dogs or other short excursions into foul weather. I was hoping this coat wouldn't feel to heavy and weigh me down.

http://everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=64

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I've had a Drizabone Bushman heavyweight for 9 years now and it has stood up extremely well through several British winters and some fairly severe soakings. Takes a lot of rain to penetrate through thanks to the shoulder cape thing (and I mean a lot!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points