Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oktoberfest Hat -- Where?

db5zx

Familiar Face
Living in Munich and being a regular visitor to the Oktoberfest, I thought I'd share my two cents.

Oktoberfest used to be about drinking to much and misbehaving (especially tourists), but in the past couple of years, I think it has returned a bit to its origins. More and more people, especially young people, start wearing proper attire (meaning Lederhosn and Dirndl http://www.oktoberfest.de/de/10/galerie.php?date=060929_hofmann05&img=16), so when you go to the Oktoberfest, you can see that probably half of the visitors, if not more, wear that kind of attire. But, and here is the big BUT, rarely do you see them wearing hats. People wearing hats to the Oktoberfest usually are tourists, wearing those big, oversized and cheaply made tourist-rip-off-hats.

That being said, I guess my advice is: Better spend the money on some good lederhosen and not on the hat, you'll blend in much more nicely with the crowd.

As I said, just my two cents...

...Jens

griffer

Practically Family
db5zx said:
More and more people, especially young people, start wearing proper attire (meaning Lederhosn and Dirndl http://www.oktoberfest.de/de/10/galerie.php?date=060929_hofmann05&img=16), so when you go to the Oktoberfest, you can see that probably half of the visitors, if not more, wear that kind of attire.

That's GREAT to hear!

I love my trachten shirt, but I haven't been able to make the leap to Lederhosen.

I really want a Steireranzug tracht. I still am sorry I didn't get one when we spent a week in Steiermark!

Any leads on a good source for tracht oder Landhausmode?

And someday a Zapf-
hofmarschallgro%DF.jpg

Doh!

One Too Many
db, thanks for weighing in here -- and for that link. I'd better stick with the hat, though. I just don't have the legs for lederhosen (of course, that doesn't seem stop plenty of others from wearing them).

If all goes well, I'll have hat in hand tomorrow night. I'll post pictures once I get my defective camera back from Canon (that's a story for another time).

dostacos

Practically Family
db5zx said:
Living in Munich and being a regular visitor to the Oktoberfest, I thought I'd share my two cents.

Oktoberfest used to be about drinking to much and misbehaving (especially tourists), but in the past couple of years, I think it has returned a bit to its origins. More and more people, especially young people, start wearing proper attire (meaning Lederhosn and Dirndl http://www.oktoberfest.de/de/10/galerie.php?date=060929_hofmann05&img=16), so when you go to the Oktoberfest, you can see that probably half of the visitors, if not more, wear that kind of attire. But, and here is the big BUT, rarely do you see them wearing hats. People wearing hats to the Oktoberfest usually are tourists, wearing those big, oversized and cheaply made tourist-rip-off-hats.

That being said, I guess my advice is: Better spend the money on some good lederhosen and not on the hat, you'll blend in much more nicely with the crowd.

As I said, just my two cents...

...Jens
but but but...we still get to eat Brats and drink beer correct?:eusa_clap

Doh!

One Too Many
Gretchen looks a little stern, I think...

Anyway, I GOT IT! Mr. Lucky's hat fits me perfectly! It's a wonderfully soft vintage fur felt, and has a ribbon with the bow in back. The brush is in perfect condition -- quite the find! I couldn't be happier.

Also, Mr. Lucky is good people, so here we have another successful Lounge meet and greet!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Doh! said:
Gretchen looks a little stern, I think...

Anyway, I GOT IT! Mr. Lucky's hat fits me perfectly! It's a wonderfully soft vintage fur felt, and has a ribbon with the bow in back. The brush is in perfect condition -- quite the find! I couldn't be happier.

Also, Mr. Lucky is good people, so here we have another successful Lounge meet and greet!
Awww, go on...

No, really, GO on!

Just joshin' ya! It was a pleasure to meet you as well. That Dobbs you have is, well, I think I just might make a visit to Sal over the weekend.

Enjoy the Tonak and I hope our paths cross again.

One of the Regulars
Gretchen must have a vice like grip to tote 6 litres of bier in each hand like that! :eek:

That Zapf hat looks most interesting. Unfortunately the site is all in German. Are those hats made of wool or wool felt or what?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points