Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old (30s/40s) German DB suit

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Here's a nice old German DB suit from the 1930's/40's. And while it's a nice suit it is at the same time morally somewhat dubious as it has the ADEFA tag. ADEFA stands for 'Arbeitsgemeinschaft Deutsch-Arischer Fabrikanten der Bekleidungsindustrie", which translates as 'Aryan German Labour Community of the Clothing Industry'...which makes me shiver.

$%28KGrHqF,%21iEE4q%21oZOwWBOWmHIbUZg%7E%7E60_3.JPG

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
If it weren't for the ADEFA connotation and the fact that it's too big for me I'd go for it because it looks like a very nice suit (especially with those buttons and that fabric). I wonder whether it was usual for German DB jackets from that era to have keyhole shaped lapel buttonholes because Flo's jacket has that feature to.

Nice suit. I really like the caramel buttons on a grey jacket. Quite a strange combination. Getting lots of interest, which is good for the seller …

Surely the label is the kind of thing one had to say in 1930s Germany? Like the old catalogues where every page includes at least one, and always ended with, "Heil Hitler!". One didn't necessarily believe it, but survival meant you had to say it or leave.

bk

Yes, German jackets often have this feature. not exclusively, but far more often than any other country, in my experience.

If it weren't for the ADEFA connotation and the fact that it's too big for me I'd go for it because it looks like a very nice suit (especially with those buttons and that fabric). I wonder whether it was usual for German DB jackets from that era to have keyhole shaped lapel buttonholes because Flo's jacket has that feature to.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Nice suit. I really like the caramel buttons on a grey jacket. Quite a strange combination.

Yes, I really like that detail. I've recently seen a photo of a wonderful 30's suit in medium gray with caramel/butterscotch colored buttons.

Surely the label is the kind of thing one had to say in 1930s Germany? Like the old catalogues where every page includes at least one, and always ended with, "Heil Hitler!". One didn't necessarily believe it, but survival meant you had to say it or leave.

Initally they weren't too successful or popular but after 1936 it was the ADEFA that forced all Jewish textile workers and tailors out of the business.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Yes, German jackets often have this feature. not exclusively, but far more often than any other country, in my experience.
Is there any particular reason for that or was it just a regional style? It's not a detail I particularly care for as it looks too "off the rack" to me, though this may just be because many modern manufacturers use it as a cost cutting measure.

birkie

Familiar Face
I notice that the jacket is fully lined. Is that typical for European (or German, specifically) suits of the '30s or '40s? I only ask because I've always thought that most suit jackets made in the US up to the early '50s had quarter (skeleton?) lining.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
The auction is over and the suit went for a pretty penny: 309 € (around $440). That makes it one of the most expensive vintage suits I've seen on the German 'Bay so far. Wonder what the ADEFA designation has to do with it...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The auction is over and the suit went for a pretty penny: 309 € (around $440). That makes it one of the most expensive vintage suits I've seen on the German 'Bay so far. Wonder what the ADEFA designation has to do with it...
I'm glad if this is a sign that there is more interest for vintage clothes in Germany. I hope the ADEFA designation didn't contribute to the high price though otherwise it would be a shame that such a nice suit didn't go to a good home...

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not sure abou that. There are very few vintage suits available in germany. Shipping cost from the US are too high for a hit and miss tactic if we buy overseas. And it is a 3 piece, not just an odd jacket. I think if it fits the buyer did OK with that.

I did talk for the admin of a german vintage forum and he was often asked for german suits by wehrmacht reenactors. He didn't reply to them of course but it could be possible that it had an influence on the price of this suit too.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PS: I was reffering to Mario's assumption

I wouldn't read too much into the price re: the motives of the buyers.

For this suit: 3 piece DB. Nice pinstripes and interesting button colour. The jacket is not small, about a 40-41. The waist ont he trousers is big-ish at 36" and the inseam is quite long at 31". It is German which, though not particularly rare is scarcer than U.S. suits. All this adds up to a nice price and not unreasonable.

Incidentally, the price of an easyjet airfare to london will get you in the proximity of just such a suit for about €200. There's a shop with about 15 of them right now (or, he had them 2 weeks ago) at £185.

bk

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Incidentally, the price of an easyjet airfare to london will get you in the proximity of just such a suit for about €200. There's a shop with about 15 of them right now (or, he had them 2 weeks ago) at £185.
Could you tell me where this shop is please? I have several people to see in London so if I can get down there sometime within the next month I'd be interested in seeing that shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112