Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old A2 bit the dust. purchased a bomber jacket, at least i think it is. any ideas

loosebolts

Familiar Face
Ok so i found this jacket on Ebay. (probably first mistake.) i am relatively new to the leather jacket game but i have my a2 is nearly falling off me. so it was time for a replacement. so shopped on ebay and bought a brown jacket. the seller said it WWII era German motorcycle/bomber jacket. so i figured id roll the dice and get it. the shipping was $56 and the jacket itself was $159.00
i like the European style old motorcycle jackets, the bomber jacket are my flavor as well so no matter what ill like it. the only thing i am not sure of is if this is actually what he said it was. he had some picture of some bomber (He-111 to be specific.) crew wearing something like this but their were fur lined and obvious thicker. Another photograph was a german motorcycle troop with something similar but i cant see if is has the breast zipper pocket.
so any one know exactly what this is or what era it would be from.the plastic looking buckle has me curious. just trying to get an idea. i dont want to knock it around if its something really special.

posted picture on flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55967186@N06/

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Nothing military about it... sellers try to add a "Luftwaffe" or other military angle to each and everything as a selling point.
It is a very nice ca. 1930's to 1950's civilian jacket... I cannot make out the writing on the label (nor do I recognize the logo), but it may well be German/European. The condition is pretty good from what I see and the price is absolutely ok for such a jacket. The "plastic" of the buckle is period correct and probably bakelite. Congratulations.

loosebolts

Familiar Face
thanks.what i can make out is an eagle and the letters HA. the Luftwaffe things is not my motive. just as long as its not made in the 1980's. that and to my understanding most luftwaffe jackets as well as tank jackets were private purchased civilian jacket any way.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Maybe one of our experienced jacket collectors will know the "HA"-label. As to the date certainly not later than early 1960's at worst. I think a 1950's civilian motorcyclist jacket as the most likely origin... just because anything from the 30-40's would be scarcer and less likely to turn up in such a good condition. By the style it wouldn't have changed much from the 30's.

that and to my understanding most luftwaffe jackets as well as tank jackets were private purchased civilian jacket any way.
This is right... but usually (though not always) would have insignia added.

I any case a very nice jacket that begs to be worn with pleasure. :) I have a somewhat similar jacket (though the belt is missing) and it makes a very practical and stylish jacket for everyday wear.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I nice 3/4 length leather coat - not really a bomber. They were made that way for decades. I had a similar jacket with retro labels made in the 1980's by a maker that had been doing the same pattern for 40 years.

Last edited:

loosebolts

Familiar Face
i was looking for an every day jacket so i think this will fit my requirements. the seller was in Germany but it said no more than that. 50's is just fine. i have a few events to go to where something like this would be. BUT there is always an excuse to buy a new one.

majormajor

One Too Many
Here's a modern leather made by HA Leathers. Is there any similarity in the font style used on the label?

haleatherinsidepocket.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana