Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old buco jackets - sources for models and history?

trapp

Practically Family
Anyone know of a good one-stop source of information for vintage Buco jackets? I'm familiar with their common models but I sometimes run across original Buco jackets that seem to be variants (a J-24 without the belt or belt-loops, for example). Googling doesn't really bring up much useful info, with the exception of a Harley forum that you have to join to read. Did they do any customization?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
There are a series of books by Rin Tanaka, published by Schiffer that deal with a history of leather jackets. I have the first, MotorCycle Jackets, a Century of leather Design and also a second volume covers most, mainly American jackets from all makers. Buco get a major mention and the book has full colour pages and some catalogue pages reproduced.
There is also a section on British jackets A2s and even our beloved Aero get a mention in Vol One.
J

trapp

Practically Family
I've seen the Rin Tanaka book referenced a lot (and it's often offered on eBay). Looks like a great book.

I guess I'm surprised there isn't more info online about the various classic models and designs put out by Buco. I can do a targeted search of j-24 and it will show me several examples of that jacket, and bring up lots of repros, but I can't find any kind of narrative history that puts the j-24 in context of the larger history of Buco and it's jacket other designs.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Trapp I'm with ya; I've been poking this issue for a while now and the only answer seems to be "Get the Tanaka books" which I find hard to accept. If we we're talking about military VLJs (A2s, G1s) or say langlitz we'd find 100billion threads on the topic. Maybe we're the only two guys who don't already know? :lol: :D guess it wouldn't be the first or last time! Anyway, lemme know if ya come up with the answer cos I'm deciding myself between a j22, 23 or 24 for my next mega purchase.

Cheers!

767fo

One of the Regulars
Sorry for the shameless plug but I have two Good Wear Racers up for sale in the classifieds. One in HH and one in a very beautiful steer hide. They are both replicas of the Buco J-106. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112