Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old L.A. Photos

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My friend's mother's old friend gave him these and he emailed them to me. I am assuming that they are old postcards.

Santa Monica about 1900
00031422.jpg

Broadway, Glendale 1920
00060528.jpg

Venice Beach 1920
00057180.jpg

I am assuming this is Venice, 1910s or 1920s -- not sure.
00031656.jpg

I'll post more soon.

Dr Doran

Thanks, Jenny.

Reseda Blvd from Devonshire (I did live in the San Fernando Valley for a couple of years -- this is truly hard to imagine since that place is such a hellhole now)

00032939.jpg

Dr Doran

JennyLou said:
May I ask where you got them?

Answer already noted in FIRST POST! (he said, snottily, fingering his monocle).

But seriously, that's all I know. Probably postcards. You can easily drag them onto your desktop and post them on other places, use them for wallpaper, etc. They certainly deserve to be seen!

Dr Doran

The Captain said:
It is hard to imagine the Southern California scene as empty as shown in these great vintage photos. Where did we go wrong? lol

Demography, as so often, is the answer. Plus (un)regulation. People are legally free to move anywhere they want in this nation, and lots of them moved to Southern California. Property is purchased and developed, buildings built on it, houses and apartments rented and sold. People either vote against any kind of curb on people moving in and land developed and sold, or they don't vote at all. Unregulated sale of land. Unregulated development of land.

Dr Doran

dodgers stadium construction 1961

00048990.jpg

Ventura Boulevard in SHERMAN OAKS (hard to believe -- I lived right near there in 1990)

00031151.jpg

Los Feliz Boulevard, Atwater Village 1920

00020886.jpg

Flooded street intersection, 6th and Mariposa, 1920

00019254.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
My Grandmother used to live off of Ventura Blvd. in Sherman Oaks. It was right off the 101 one street north in the neighborhood northerly of Ventura Blvd. You can still see the Italian cypress trees that line the curve of the street from the 101. Of course her house is gone now, replaced by a parking lot for some offices I think. If I find a pic of her house I'll post it.

Thanks for sharing those that you have found from a much simpler time and the air sure looked clearer. You can actually see for a long ways.

Cheers!

Dan

Dr Doran

Sounds great.

I have some non-photographic L.A. postcards from the 1940s that have drawings of buildings on them. Perhaps I'll post those here next.

Dr Doran

Thank you, Inky and Lela.

Here are three more from the same source, my friend's mother's friend:

Courthouse and Hall of Records
00018428.jpg

Hall of Records
00018156.jpg

7th and Broadway
00013795-1.jpg

More to follow.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Way cool! Never been to LA either, but that doesn't matter.
These remind me of a lot of the early silent films that were shot on the streets of LA. I love looking at them and seeing the backgrounds flashing by. What a different city it was then. A small town, in comparison, but so pleasant.

Dr Doran

Thanks, gents.

Say, Widebrim (I hope to meet you one day at Jon Eugenio's house) you wouldn't consider taking a shot of that precise intersection in Glendale today, would you? It would be nice to have before-and-after shots side by side. But I suppose it would work best if you got the exact angle and distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider