Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old leather jacket "restretching"?

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
I've come to realize that this site is the epitome of leather knowledge and craftsmanship. I've owned a situation that will likely be answered here.

I still have a Hein Gericke motorcycle jacket, that was a graduation gift in 1978 (from Mum!). I lived in that jacket for a decade (Really. I've slept on the side of the highway, bundled in that badassedness, with my boot lace tied to my motorcycle, so I'd wake up if someone tried to quietly roll it away). All of the asphalt crash marks on it were only a bit of well earned personalization and I remember each fondly.

It seems to have shrunk since then.

It still fits my body like a glove. I'm still the same size as when I was a young rocker and the jacket still zips up just fine.

But, the sleeves are now almost six inches too short and the armpit area restricts blood flow. So... I don't think I became too old and fat to wear it, nor did my arms grow to simian length. Therefore, the leather shrank.

Might there be a cure for one of my most prized possession?

(I'll never sell it. I'll give it to my grandchild-to-be, if that's my only option.)

I had a Hein Gerrick for years - my first real moto jacket. Never saw that kind of shrinkage. And I soaked it and road it hard like you did. Dunno, maybe Johnson or Thurston can put longer sleeves on it. Or maybe add some sort of cuff - but that might be odd. Ask them, can't hurt.
Good luck.

Edward

Bartender
Any chance it "shrunk in the wardrobe"? I've had a few bits do that over the years. Unfortunately, the only option then is for me to shrink to fit them... ;)

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
I am probably skinnier now than when I was as a lad. (I played a lot of sports back then!)

The body of the jacket still fits and zips up comfortably. The length of the body still seems appropriate. The armpit area now squeezes unmercifully. The sleeves are six inches too short. I didn't grow monkey arms in my adulthood.

I deduce that the body part didn't shrink, but the sleeves did.

I never thought of ADDING length to the sleeves. I would surely love to wear one of my oldest friends again. But, it seems to me, that might be some kind of blasphemy to commit to a vintage jacket(!).

I don't know whom to direct this question to, personally, on this forum (being a noobie).

Do jackets "shrink" like that after 35 years?

I will sign up for other forums and enquire about having my arms shortened.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You hear a bit about sleeves shrinking but not that much. In 30 years of owning dozens of leather jackets, I have never had one shrink even one little bit.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
Well, it seems that a leather 'regeneration' is out, if no one here has heard of such a thing.

I had not considered adding material to lengthen the sleeves. If I am going to have someone physically resize my coat, it seems logical that I should have that person personally measure me, for the proper fit.

I will have to research a capable person in my area for a face-to-face consultation.

Thanks for the help.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
I have found one local artisan that seems very capable of reconstructing my jacket. I may go that route, but have not decided yet.

I've started wearing it again. Maybe it will 'restretch' some.

Until then, I'm going to pretend I'm Sid Vicious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider