Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Magazines

LetterJ

New in Town
I just got an order of old magazines from a seller on Ebay: 2 "Time" issues from 1938 and a Canadian Newsweek from 1945.

I'm having a blast reading the articles, but the ads are really catching my attention. My favorite ad so far is a full 2 page layout advertising the newly patented and highly innovative Philips recessed screw head. There's even a coupon you can send in for more information (No Obligation of course) and specific facts regarding Philips screws.

I wish I hadn't packed my scanner up (I'm selling my house) so I could scan in these great ads.

Mycroft

One Too Many
I like old magazines, books, etc. because they truly trasport you to a different time and place. I recomend any 40's-50's Times or Lifes on Miami, really good pictures.

D

Deleted member 259

I just did a production of The Women by Claire Booth Luce set in the 1960s and one of the props used was a set of LIFE magazines from the era. There was one with a rare interview with Sinatra that I got in trouble for reading when I was supposed to be on headset calling cues.
Not only the interview (which was incredible) but the ads and pictures for cars, hats, cigars, etc... were amazing.
The temptation just to steal it (no one would notice!) was great, but I couldn't do that do my theatre. I'm planning on photocopying the article though.

Explorer

New in Town
I prefer the pulp magazines from the 20's, 30's, and 40's. The ads as well as the stories take you back to a simpler time.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm a big fan of vintage magazines and periodicals as well. Fashion magazines are great, but it's nice to see some pics of real people, to see how they really dressed. In my scouring I have found that not all people looked like the movies... people picked clothing that was not flattering in the way of hairstyles, cut and fit just like today!

And the articles! I just purchased a Ladies Home Journal from the 1900's and the first page is an article on how we have to "instruct" our daughters on the way of the world, and because their male counterparts were wild with women their virgin daughters were contracting diseases and their children were being born blind! They said that they should get potential son-in-laws tested for diseases, and since such a precaution was taken with livestock, why not family? Of course now acceptable sexual terms were not included in the artice, but how shocking for 190-something.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Lauren Henline said:
I just purchased a Ladies Home Journal from the 1900's and the first page is an article on how we have to "instruct" our daughters on the way of the world, and because their male counterparts were wild with women their virgin daughters were contracting diseases and their children were being born blind! They said that they should get potential son-in-laws tested for diseases, and since such a precaution was taken with livestock, why not family?

Ewww!
Can you imagine the confrontations?
"Sir, I'm here to ask your blessing. Esther and I would like to be married."
"Before I can give my blessing or her to you, young man, you'll need to be tested."
"Excuse me Sir? Tested?"
"Yes, tested. Why, Hortense and I were just reading this morning how young men are bringing the results of their sick perversions into a new marriage. No three-headed grandchildren for us, no sir!"
"But I am not the sort of man who..."
"Nevertheless, we can saddle up and ride down to see Doc Swensen this afternoon..."
"But Thursdays he does haircuts."
"I'm sure he can squeeze in time to er... check out your goods. Not s'very painful, I hear..."
"But Sir, I..."
"We can just tow Hercules, my new angus bull, along for the ride. May as well get his business checked out as well."
"I'm just not sure this is reasonable..."
"Now listen young fellow, just because you wear a nice fedora with a wind cord and that truly grand ribbon, don't think you're fooling me! I was young once m'self..."

Poor Esther, sadly, became a spinster aunt, as word got out that her father had taken leave of his tiny mind...

:)

Wild Root

Gone Home
The Women by Claire Booth Luce

You know, that was a play in the 1930's and later a movie that stared Norma Shearer in 1939. That is a really cool movie that has a full Technicolor part in the middle of the film.

women.jpg

I love old mags! I love LIFE most of all. I have a few Vanity Fair mags from 1930 and 1934! Talk about early! I also have four or five Life mags from 1940 to 1943. A few Saturday Evening Post's from the 30's and late 40's, then an Esquire from 1941 and so on.

Lauren, you mentioned how people really dressed differentley from what we see in movies and in ads.

Here is a photo of just what you mean! This guy has the true 40's look down!
I know it's 40's because of the '41 Dodge in the back ground. Well, we'll just say 41 or later ont he age of the photo.

40sslob8oy.jpg

Oh, and Scot, that's funny stuff you wrote there! Very clever

Explorer

New in Town
Yep, that guy has the look of the 30's and 40's. However, he should really button or snap the top of his pants; the neighbors might talk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo