Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old men's club, now home

DesertDan

One Too Many
Great place and an admirable restoration.
If it were up to me I would have repainted the walls and refinished the wood flooring as close to original as possible.

Great place and an admirable restoration.
If it were up to me I would have repainted the walls and refinished the wood flooring as close to original as possible.

No kiddin'. While the multiple layers of peeling paint and missing plaster and all contribute to the "character" of the space as it presently is, it's still peeling paint and missing plaster. Me, I'd consult a guy I met several years ago who specializes in making new walls look like old walls. It would be quite labor-intensive to do it up properly, but not frightfully expensive, provided the owner did the bulk of the work himself.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Hmmpf!

That place, restored, looks an awful lot like my last three restorations did before I started to work on 'em.

I do love the 1909 vintage "burlap" (canvas or linen, actually) on the paneled walls.

We forget how popular were vibrant, saturated colors at the turn of the last century. That blueish green is found in many color charts of the day, though it would be considered rather outre by even the most dedicated restorers today.

A saturated orange was also quite fashionable at the time.

I have Chromos of a dining room replete with acid green lacquered furnitute and woodwork, Royal Blue and Pumpkin Orange stippled walls, and brightly colored Breton crockery (Quimper, it appears). As awful as the combination sounds, the color plate of the room appears to be quite fresh and inviting, with crisp white dimnity curtains at the ample casements and a a big crockery bowl full of white hydrangias on the (Acid Green) Welsh Dresser.

Last edited:

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
I'd like to see that too, back to it's original spendor. But the fact that not only has he saved this place, but made it livable and looking authentic itself makes me happy. Not all stupid steampunked or even worse.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A complete period refurbishment would be wonderful but in reality I would settle for just the facades of these old buildings being saved with the inclusion of modern guts..

A complete period refurbishment would be wonderful but in reality I would settle for just the facades of these old buildings being saved with the inclusion of modern guts..

Me too, although it isn't necessarily an either/or proposition. Modern electrical service and HVAC and all can be installed in ways sensitive to the original character of an old building's interior. Somewhat more challenging is seismic retrofitting, which is a big consideration out here near the subduction zone. (When a subduction zone quake eventually happens, well, I don't think I wanna be in an old building that hasn't had such retrofits, no matter how much I might appreciate its historical and aesthetic value.) Lots of old structures out here have undergone such retrofits, and those diagonal box-section steel braces, as are used on some such jobs, are hard to hide. So they don't even try. Just as well, I say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112