Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old military long coat

donCarlos

Practically Family
Maybe it´s a bit offtopic, but I have found a shop where they sell an "old" long double-breasted coat used by the east germany´s army. It´s made of 70% wool and 30% polyamid and they want only about 23USD for it, so I´m really considering buying it :)
The question is - If I rip off the epaulettes and maybe replace the metal buttons by some less shiny ones, would it be suitable even for casual winter wearing?

Here´s the picture:
10112.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I wear my British greatcoat with the old buttons (though they're pre-Stay Brite and a little tarnished). The epaulettes don't stand out as much on mine.

Edward

Bartender
Absolutely. Some of the best coats I've had over the years have been picked up army surplus. They're cheaper (yet often harder wearing) than the civilian equivalent, and they tend to be cut to a more Golden Age style, with the higher armholes and generally neater fit than the baggier overcoats of today. I don't think I'd change the buttons or anything unless they were glaringly military (I know some of the epaulettes can be on Eastern European forces coats) and you really want more of a civilian look.

On the subject of Jack Harkness, I love his wardrobe - a fantastic example ofv a modern retro take on WW2 era casual dress.

donCarlos

Practically Family
It is obvious from the photo that this GDR model has the epaulettes sewed-on, but that´s nothing a scissors can´t handle. I will leave the buttons unless they have something like GDR coat of arms on them.

Ok, I have just sent request for my size :) For 23 dollars... That´s unbelievable.

kampkatz

Practically Family
If you like the coat, buy it. The insignia are obsolete now so there should be no big deal about endorsing any form of government. It is a good looking garment and a real bargain.

Edward

Bartender
Th only thing I find "missing" from military overcoats is a breat pocket to stick my gloves in. that's a detail I love (but have never had) on an overcoat. Given, though, the choice between paying several times the price for one with, or a military coat of a similar quality.... no brainer. ;)

donCarlos

Practically Family
Ok thanks all for advice. It´s ordered, I´ll post the photos as soon as I receive it. I hope it won´t dissapoint me (is it even possible for the money? :))

donCarlos

Practically Family
Longshanks said:
?
Many thanks.
Coat looks great. I second the motion about military coats: they're tougher and warmer and better cut (at least for my questionable frame) than the civilian ones, and you don't have to scurry away from inclement weather. My favorite winter coat is a Swedish double-breasted, slightly shorter greatcoat (or slightly longer peacoat). (I saw a photo of a similar one on this forum a few months back...)
The URL is http://www.militaryrange.com/zbozi/1352-kabat-k-uniforme-nva
but I don´t know how helpful will it be for you :)
The swedish one looks great as well, but the shipping would cost probably too much.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The only problem I can see, wearing a coat like that, would be "political".

You being in Praha, remembering what - among others - the East Germans, along with the russians did to your beautifull city in ´68.

Which offcourse is totaly :eek:fftopic: and irellevant to the coat.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
The only problem I can see, wearing a coat like that, would be "political".

You being in Praha, remembering what - among others - the East Germans, along with the russians did to your beautifull city in ´68.

Which offcourse is totaly :eek:fftopic: and irellevant to the coat.
That´s why I will remove all signs of it being from the GDR... I wouldn´t feel comfortable in it - I would feel like a madman who´s playing at soldiers :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav