Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Underwood Typewriter

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have an old Underwood typewriter that's been around the house since I was a child (and who knows how long before that). It's in good shape, and still works (except for a dried-up ribbon). I can't find any model numbers on the thing, so can't give any specifics except that it weighs a ton.

Does anyone have any idea how old this typewriter may be?

DSC05253.jpg

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
From the front lettering and gray color plus overall design, 1960's. Mom had one just like it purchased when she was in High School in 1965. I inherited it and it served me faithfully through High School and College (1987-1994). Unfortunately she ended up selling it after I moved out but I eventually got a Smith-Corona Silent c. 1947 I found at an antique shop for $10, never used and in it's original case.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Big Man, your typewriter resembles the Underwood SX 100 from the 50's I believe:

DSC_0774-1.JPG

Still, the art deco molding on the SX 100 shown has only three ribs as apposed to the five on yours.

Big Man

Thanks for the information, folks. I can remember that old typewriter being around the house in the early to mid 1960's,but don't know if it was "old"then or not. I couldn't find any kind of marking or numbers on the thing, but then I may not be looking in the right place.

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
Sometimes you have to go to great lengths to find the serial numbers which are on a metal tag somewhere insite the typewriter. Once you get the model # and Serial # you can go HERE and look it up and you'll find the date.

Big Man

Sometimes you have to go to great lengths to find the serial numbers which are on a metal tag somewhere insite the typewriter. Once you get the model # and Serial # you can go HERE and look it up and you'll find the date.

Thanks for the link. I'll start searching for the numbers.

Big Man

Thanks. Early 1950's would be just about right for the history of this old typewriter with my family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points