Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On Ebay: 30s/40s DB Suit, 40-42 LONG

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-1940s...LL-Size-/271707574670?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

IMG_6792.jpg

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
What is difference between that and a brand new double-breasted suit? None I can see. Here is a new one from JC Penney: http://www.jcpenney.com/stafford-ex...et=UTF-8&colorizedImg=DP0808201417133178M.tif

Go back to the 1920s, and things are indeed different. It is more difficult for women, to dress 1930s-style, as styles have changed, and people are now generally taller than back then. My 5' 10" wife did find a new 1930s-style suit made in Los Angeles and she had many comments wearing it to a recent "Holiday" Party at the Jonathan Club in Los Angeles.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Great suit orgetorix!

FStephenMasek said:
What is difference between that and a brand new double-breasted suit? None I can see. Here is a new one from JC Penney: http://www.jcpenney.com/stafford-exe...417133178M.tif

To begin with the modern Penney suit has tiny lapels while the 1940's vintage suit has huge lapels.
Also the fabric is different... as is the cut and everything else except that both are double-breasted. :rolleyes:
And the pants are even more different.

To most interested in the era's styles, Vintage is preferable because of the quality and it's just the real deal with a soul.

A modern Penney is no comparison. :eek:

Go back to the 1920s, and things are indeed different.

Todays suit styles have more in common with 1920's styles (narrow flat front trousers, natural shoulders and narrow lapels) than with the heavily padded and wide 1940's suits.

(P.S.: It is rather bad style to try "talking down" a listing on the "Classifieds" section.)

Last edited:

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
Why? is it your listing you are pushing?

Yep, the labels may be a bit wider on the older suit than on the new JCP example I quickly located, but I just looked at my 1987 Armani DB suit, and the lapels look every bit as wide as on that example from EBay, plus the pants are pleated. My main point is that the styles have not really changed much for men, but are dramatically different for women.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Why? is it your listing you are pushing?

What planet are you living on? :confused: I am in Germany... the listing is by Orgetorix himself who is in Kentucky... that's what the Classifieds are for. A place for members to buy and sell items of interest.

Yep, the labels may be a bit wider on the older suit than on the new JCP example I quickly located, but I just looked at my 1987 Armani DB suit, and the lapels look every bit as wide as on that example from EBay, plus the pants are pleated.

No one cares whether you have a 1980's suit that has pleats and wide lapels... you may not have noticed, but this forum is for enthusiasts of chiefly 1920-40's fashion and lifestyle. A genuine 1940's suit is better than a more modern suit that just looks similar.

My main point is that the styles have not really changed much for men, but are dramatically different for women.

Irrelevant to this thread.

If you want to present your observations on fashion changes why not use the suits discussion section like everyone else? :eusa_doh:

You aren't interested in the listing? Ignore it.
But talking negatively on a "Classified's" listing, is simply rude and uncalled for.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
What is difference between that and a brand new double-breasted suit? None I can see. Here is a new one from JC Penney: http://www.jcpenney.com/stafford-ex...et=UTF-8&colorizedImg=DP0808201417133178M.tif

Go back to the 1920s, and things are indeed different. It is more difficult for women, to dress 1930s-style, as styles have changed, and people are now generally taller than back then. My 5' 10" wife did find a new 1930s-style suit made in Los Angeles and she had many comments wearing it to a recent "Holiday" Party at the Jonathan Club in Los Angeles.

They are the same in the same way that these are both radios. The shape, materials, construction, etc. are entirely different.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a great suit and very nice fabric. Unfortunately not my size.

FStephenMasek, your comment make me chuckle. It's not at all the same as the modern Penney's suit. I assume you are either very young or have never handled a vintage suit from the 30s-40s before. The cut and fabric ...you will feel and see the HUGE difference in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk