Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On my way down the slippery Aero slope!

moktabe

One of the Regulars
Is there an end to this slope?

Started at the top of the slope with the Sheene and the Windward, thought 2 jackets of different styles would be ideal......and then came the idea of a MC jacket so ended up with a mongrel of sorts, a J-106 front with a KOTR back. Ooops.

So ended up with 2 in Badalassi and 1 in CXLSH.

Now being tempted again by the idea of the jacket that originally drew me to Aero..the Hudson. Never went ahead with ordering one at the time as they didn't have one for me to try on. However, now they know my sizes and shape I think I'm going to revisit the idea. Spoken to Aero and apparently there's still quite a wait for Horween stuff coming in....i.e 6 months +. I'd be happy to wait as I like the heft of the CXL leather.

My Windward is CXLSH and one thing I really like is how the creasing on the arms seems to 'roll' as opposed to looking like a crease as such and also a fan of how it's breaking in.

I've looked about and can't really find the answer I'm looking for so, where a jacket will develop creases are there any visible differences in them between the HH and the SH or would they each appears as 'rolls'. I appreciate that a visible difference between the 2 leathers isn't going to happen, it's more a case of do they break in differently. Have a feeling the answer will probably be no.

This might appear to be a dumb questions to those with a vast knowledge of leathers etc however, I'm a newbie in this area and asking questions is the best way to find answers.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think steerhide CXL is more likely to crease and show grain than the horsehide CXL. I think this is a great question for @ton312 because he has had a number of jackets in both steer and horse CXL.

Thank you for that, appreciated.

As said, I wasn't sure there would be but was worth asking.
The only notable difference between the two really comes down to weight, and currently this isn't even a factor as both beasts seem to be skived at right around 3.5 oz. Aero used to offer 4oz steer, but I believe that ship has sailed and that's no longer an option.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
The only notable difference between the two really comes down to weight, and currently this isn't even a factor as both beasts seem to be skived at right around 3.5 oz. Aero used to offer 4oz steer, but I believe that ship has sailed and that's no longer an option.

There is an approximate wait of 6 months+ for Horween deliveries (as mentioned in the OP) so I'll check the weights with them and if they roughly the same I'll take either. I'll just cough a deposit up and hopefully I'll have one for next Winter

I could be Mr Impatient and go for a more easily available leather however, as mentioned I like the heft of CXL.

tpschar

New in Town
There is an approximate wait of 6 months+ for Horween deliveries (as mentioned in the OP) so I'll check the weights with them and if they roughly the same I'll take either. I'll just cough a deposit up and hopefully I'll have one for next Winter

I could be Mr Impatient and go for a more easily available leather however, as mentioned I like the heft of CXL.

6 months??!!? I must have gotten lucky that they had some midnight blue available last month.

Maybe the tumbled hides if you want to speed things up? If I'm correct, those are CXL hides given a little beating. Brings out the grain and softens them a bit without sacraficing weight. But presumably those are probably backordered as well. Not sure. Don't see many tumbled hides coming through in the Thurston Bros thread, so I assume they are as popular.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
When I was looking at leather samples for my Windward they sent me a tumbled sample. Each to their own etc but it wasn't for me.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
6 months??!!? I must have gotten lucky that they had some midnight blue available last month.

Quote from an e-mail....

Anything Horween is around a 6 month wait or longer at the moment unfortunately, CXFQHH has been coming in a little quicker than the Steerhide but we’ve don’t have any idea of timeline for CXSH at the moment unfortunately.

Cheech

A-List Customer
Quote from an e-mail....

Anything Horween is around a 6 month wait or longer at the moment unfortunately, CXFQHH has been coming in a little quicker than the Steerhide but we’ve don’t have any idea of timeline for CXSH at the moment unfortunately.

I heard the same from Carrie at Thurston. In fact, I ordered a jacket in Badalassi for the January production, but I'm still waiting on it because Aero received a big batch of Horween leather in January and had to devote their workforce to the backlog of orders using CXL.

Edward

Bartender
I gather Horween shipments have been hit hard by the pandemic, indeed. In my experience, there's little difference in practice between steer and horse in the CXL hides. Steer *may* crease and break in a little faster, but tbh I can't say I'd be confident I could tell them apart. That all said, the move away from the heaviest of steer definitely makes sense for more intricate designs. When I visited the factory back in 2014, they were already discouraging CXL Steer for jackets with pleats and gussets as it was simply too heavy for them really to work as intended.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@moktabe I have the lesser Hudson (Northeaster), in two sizes and two different weights of FQHH. Since you already have Badalassi, CXSH, I would suggest to give FQHH a try. The grains are coarse but the leather is very robust.
For the Hudson I would suggest thinner FQHH. It's a big jacket, it's gonna weigh a lot. My size 38 is made of the thick stuff weighs as much as my size 40 in the thinner FQHH. And I have one size 40 in the monstrous 4.5oz FQHH which is even a bit much for me on some days. The longer jackets works better with thinner hides. Also if you don't mind the full action back, then get that option. I saw a Hudson on their sale page that has that feature. It will be a lot easier to wear and move around in.
I also have new Aero FQHH jackets on order, and it is also long lead time because of Horween delays. I have FQHH orders with US makers too and it's the same delays.
Here are my lesser Hudsons (Northeasters)
38 Black FQHH
Aero Northeaster Fit Black Cxl 003.JPG

40 Natural FQHH - This one is a monster
Aero Northeaster Fit Natural Cxl 003.JPG

40 Cordovan FQHH - Thinnest FQHH, also easiest and most worn out of the three I have. And I LOVE Thick leather.
Aero Northeaster Fit Cordovan Cxl 003.JPG

The CXL FQHH is worth the wait.
What finish you getting? Cordovan?

Edward

Bartender
@moktabe I have the lesser Hudson (Northeaster), in two sizes and two different weights of FQHH. Since you already have Badalassi, CXSH, I would suggest to give FQHH a try. The grains are coarse but the leather is very robust.
For the Hudson I would suggest thinner FQHH. It's a big jacket, it's gonna weigh a lot. My size 38 is made of the thick stuff weighs as much as my size 40 in the thinner FQHH. And I have one size 40 in the monstrous 4.5oz FQHH which is even a bit much for me on some days. The longer jackets works better with thinner hides. Also if you don't mind the full action back, then get that option. I saw a Hudson on their sale page that has that feature. It will be a lot easier to wear and move around in.
I also have new Aero FQHH jackets on order, and it is also long lead time because of Horween delays. I have FQHH orders with US makers too and it's the same delays.
Here are my lesser Hudsons (Northeasters)
38 Black FQHH
View attachment 408822
40 Natural FQHH - This one is a monster
View attachment 408823
40 Cordovan FQHH - Thinnest FQHH, also easiest and most worn out of the three I have. And I LOVE Thick leather.
View attachment 408824
The CXL FQHH is worth the wait.
What finish you getting? Cordovan?

I think these are the first of that model I've seen in the flesh. I definitely really quite fancy one as a Winter jacket, though I have my eye first on a Wilderness.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I got hooked when I saw this photo. But back then I didn't know Hudson could be ordered with full action back.
IMO, Hudson has the better front design with the yoke. Very power suit type of look. Here is what hooked me into this design:
1647024295149.png

roadking04

Practically Family
where a jacket will develop creases are there any visible differences in them between the HH and the SH or would they each appears as 'rolls'

same like on jeans, thicker jeans will have rounder fatter but less creases, while thinner jeans will crease into many sharper smaller folds, I think same deal with leather jacket,

I was going to say what Navetsea said. I have been looking into this recently. I really don't think it is a matter of horse vs. steer, I think it is more, thick vs. thin, when it comes to creases vs. rolls, in the arms.

I am in the process of breaking in 2 different jackets. My thinner (3oz) steerhide perfecto 618 has much more "sharper" creases. I also just received a custom Johnson Leather (4oz+) horsehide motorcycle jacket that appears to be forming more "rolls" than actual creases so far. It might be too early to tell.

Also, @Hh121 has some ultra-mega-super heavy duty-industrial strength leather jackets he posts in the WJAYWT thread. Those jackets appear to have rolls, as opposed to creases. I am not sure if the rolls will turn into creases as the leather breaks in. Only time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff