Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the matter of detachable collars

Dreamofgilgamesh

A-List Customer
Dear group, my question is aimed more at those amongst us with some experience of tailoring. I'm fond of wearing a tunic shirt and I'm always on the lookout for various collars. On my frequent trawls around my local charity shops I often find really nice shirts with collars that appeal to me.
Now to the actual question.
Would it be possible to remove the collar from said shirts and convert them for use on my tunic shirts?

Many thanks

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
by 'tunic' are you talking about a collar-less shirt that has a stand ? (sometimes called a 'grandad' shirt in the UK).

if so, a competent sewist should be able to remove the collar from the stand of one shirt and insert it into the stand of another.

(the stand is the neck-band part which sandwiches the collar).

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Certainly, just as HBK stated.
I converted an old dress shirt into a tunic shirt by removing the original collar and sewing the stand back together. Had I wanted too I could have sewn the removed collar onto its own detachable stand to make it a full detachable collar. Here is how a normal dress shirt comes apart:
Collar.jpg
PS- It was sewn by hand and I'm no expert, in case you're wondering why the band is all wrinkly (not that you see that part anyway). :redface:

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Yes, you could do that. It won't be asymmetrical like a detachable collar usually is, unless you take the collar off the stand and make a new stand. In any case, there always are possibilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana