Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One more medal for Audie Murphy?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
full story
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/us/audie-murphy-a-texas-hero-still-missing-one-medal.html

21ttMedal-articleLarge.jpg

Nadine Murphy Lokey sister of WWII Medal of Honor winner Audie Murphy, concerned that he still has not been bestowed the Texas Legislative Medal of Honor.
“I’m disappointed,” said Nadine Murphy Lokey, 82, Mr. Murphy’s only surviving sibling. “I think they had him in the history books at one time, but they’ve taken him out,” she said. If students do not learn about him “and people don’t talk about him, well, they forget.”

p51

One Too Many
Well, after the Congressional one, his grave sight a point of reverence at Arlington and half of all NCO stuff in the current Army named after the man, I truly doubt anyone's going to forget him who otherwise would on their own.
A state medal? Seems seriously anticlimactic to me...

Story

I'll Lock Up
Well, after the Congressional one, his grave sight a point of reverence at Arlington and half of all NCO stuff in the current Army named after the man, I truly doubt anyone's going to forget him who otherwise would on their own.

Considering what a small percentage of the American population has been in uniform, most won't ever see any of the NCO stuff.

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
If they have taken him out of the state history books then yes he will be forgotten. On a natn'l level he will not be remembered, so it will be up to the local histories to remember him and that won't happen if Texas has written him out of history. Your logic is right about one thing and that is he should be remembered on a national level, and at the same level as a Patton or Eisenhower. To most Americans Audi Murphy is associated with Hollywood, not as a war hero.

WWIIBuff

New in Town
Audie Murphy

Across the street from my house is Audie Murphys old ranch. The house itself has been torn down, and the property is now being developed as a housing community, but at least they named it "Audie Murphy Ranch". Unfortunately even the locals around here forget that he ever lived there, so although there are signs around the community bearing his name, details about him are being forgotten, and most people only remember him as the movie actor anyway.

I feel it is important to remember these veterans every way possible, so I agree that the State level is very important too.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Considering what a small percentage of the American population has been in uniform, most won't ever see any of the NCO stuff.

Very good point.....and to add to that...
ask any American to list the 50 states and capitols, good luck, let alone a list of MOH recipients

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Aristeaus,

If they have taken him out of the state history books then yes he will be forgotten. On a natn'l level he will not be remembered, so it will be up to the local histories to remember him and that won't happen if Texas has written him out of history. Your logic is right about one thing and that is he should be remembered on a national level, and at the same level as a Patton or Eisenhower. To most Americans Audi Murphy is associated with Hollywood, not as a war hero.

You'd be lucky to find anyone who even knows why Eisenhower, Patton, or Murphy were famous.

p51

One Too Many
Across the street from my house is Audie Murphys old ranch. The house itself has been torn down, and the property is now being developed as a housing community, but at least they named it "Audie Murphy Ranch". Unfortunately even the locals around here forget that he ever lived there, so although there are signs around the community bearing his name, details about him are being forgotten, and most people only remember him as the movie actor anyway.

I feel it is important to remember these veterans every way possible, so I agree that the State level is very important too.
I see what you mean, but what will giving him a state medal do to ensure that?
Not much, the way I see it...

mikepara

Practically Family
The word legend is over used nowadays but Audie is a bona fide hero and legend. Your average kid on the block might not know who he was, it is really of little consequence in the big scheme. However serving Military and veterans of most allied Armies will always know of him and other legends like Joshua Chamberlain and Hal Moore. I'm sure the state will honor (honour) him someday, there's no rush, he's not going anywhere.

ALM_PMoF

New in Town
Hi P51!

I am the person who had Murphy nominated beginning in 2010 for this prestigious state honor. I understand your point, but I'll share you mine as well as the other fans and admirers of the Major.
First, Murphy is a legend not only in his native Texas but as you point out throughout ur nation, particularly amongst those of us 55 or older.
Although this medal is not the Congressional Medal of Honor, it is the highest medal in the Texas Armed Forces and what greater Texan to honor, albeit posthumously, than Major Murphy.
Legions of Americans’ still hold Audie Murphy as among the greatest in the pantheon of America's heroes and an inspiration to millions throughout our Nation and around the world.
In addition I might add, honors are bestowed and rendered by great societies so that we may remember the person; and the accomplishments of that person’s life, and in doing so perpetuate their memory for future generations. This will be only one more fitting honor for Audie Murphy, so that he once again be remembered by the citizens of Texas, and indeed all Americans. Audie Murphy was certainly the 'hero of heroes' and deserves to be recognized and honored once more. Just my sincere opinion, and why this honor is important.

Thanks,

Dave

mungojerry

New in Town
I can't understand it, the most decorated soldier of WWII being treated like this. Even in Arlington his memorial is routine and in line with the normal soldiers. Yet when I was there it was the busiest, most visited grave in the whole cemetery. In as much that the authorities were reinforcing the ground around his headstone. The other huge memorials to high ranking officers
were conspicuous in their absence of visitors.

ALM_PMoF

New in Town
In response to a post from back in June, thought I would inform everyone that Audie Murphy was finally posthumously awarded the Texas Legislative Medal of Honor by Governor Perry.
Please take a moment to read the article that I authored for the transparency in government website watchdogwire.com.
This is a very detailed article pertaining to the campaign to award Murphy the supreme military honor of Texas.
I think you might be struck by the oddity and absurdity of the events outlined in the final paragraph.

http://watchdogwire.com/texas/2013/...awarded-the-texas-legislative-medal-of-honor/

Thanks,

Dave

John Galt

Vendor
I was truly blessed with a great education, in grammar school, high school, college, and graduate level, but sadly Audie Murphy, THE prototypical american hero was neglected. I was embarrassed by this a few years ago when I did not recognize his name and a much older friend told me to look him up.

As I said in the other thread, every child should know his name and his story. Mine will!

We cannot rely on the government, teachers, or bureaucrats to teach our children what it really means to be an American, or who our heroes are or should be. We must show them by our actions what it means to be an American and teach them of our own heroes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk