Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One More Time

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Hey all.
Need a little advice.
I've had 3 Aero Highwayman up to now.
Each had fit issues, which, I'm afraid to say, were mostly my fault due to bad measurements,
or just simply trying to out think the experts.
So, I'd like to try an Alexander Leathers Roadster this time.
I understand that they fit slightly differently than the Highwayman; anybody know these differences?
What I'd planned on doing is merely taking the measurements from my Highwayman, adding or subtracting inches from
them to get my desired size, and using that for the Roadster order.
Does anybody see a problem with that?
I'd also like to stick with HH in the Roadster.
Any comments on their FQHH vs Aero's?
How is their Chromexel steerhide?
Do either of these leathers drape better than Aero's FQHH?
Which will develop the most grain and patina?
Close up pix if you got em!
Any other comparisons, comments between the 2 makers is welcome as well.
Thanks,
Lenny

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
I have both ... The Roadster should be selected TRUE TO YOUR SUIT SIZE ( my highwayman is one size down from my suit size )

The Roadster is slightly trimmer and less boxy than the Highwayman and about 1" shorter in back length.

( took me 2 attempts to get the right size Roadster as it did for my Highwayman)

For the record I wear a 42" Roadster ( 1" off the arms) and a 40" Highwayman ( 1" off arms ) and the highwayman is 1" longer in the body than the Roadster ... I'm a std 42s suit jacket and 36" waist at my navel. 5'7 1/2" and 185 lbs

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why not go through Insurrection / Thurston Bros and get them to send you an Aero fit jacket?

It really is a no brainer for getting a perfect fit. When the jacket arrives, email them a few pictures of you wearing it and they an help nailing the fit just like you want.

I've got nothing against Alexanders at all, I've had 2 of their jackets in the past that were really nice. Definitely a cheaper option (with similar quality) than Aero but but neither fit as well as those I acquired through Insurrection and I've since sold them on...so in the end, they cost me more.

On thing aside I've noticed, AL jackets don't get as good a resale price on eBay if you need to move them on.....the name recognition just isn't there yet.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I would 2nd what ProteinNerd just said about going through Insurrection / Thurston Bros, specifically since you have had sizing issues in the past and you live in the US. I wouldn't be able to comment about AL since I have never seen one but suspect that ProteinNerd is also correct in saying that an Aero HWM would be far easier to resell and recoup your $$$ than an AL Roadster.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I understand your points gentlemen.
However, I'd like to try the slimmer cut of the Roadster (at least that's what I've read) instead of the
boxier Highwayman. Also want to wear something that isn't as heavy as their FQHH.
Be that as it may, the Insurrection suggestion is one I've tried in the past.
Actually, I could send them my jacket right now and tell them what I want directly from that.
Great idea, ya think?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I gather you mean send your jacket to Insurrection and tell Carrie what adjustments you need from the test jacket you send them rather than the reverse. Correct? Sounds reasonable to me but would suggest talking to Carrie on the phone before doing so as you would need to let her know exactly how you want a HWM to fit. Keep in mind that Insurrection preference is, I think, for a very snug fit, although I would think she would size it however you want. My original utility jackets were both HWM but found that a 30's slim fit seems to conform to my frame best of all. Fit is everything, isn't it?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think if you're averagely built, two sizes down in the Highwayman and one size down in the Roadster looks to be about right. Plumbline and others who've owned a Roadster will have more accurate advice. But from the measurements and examples I've seen online, for me a 36 Highwayman and a 38 Roadster equate to about a size 40.

ProteinNerd

I'm a little skeptical of what the "slimmer" cut of the Roadster actually means, tbh I think it just means a size 40 AL is about the same as a 38 HWM, I don't think there is a significant difference in the pattern where it is slimmer through the waist if thats what you are after.

I've tried 2 Roadsters, the first was a size too small (too tight across the shoulders) and had to go back, the next was 1 size up so my correct size (great in the shoulders) but still to boxy around the waist for me I wore it 3 times and sold it at a loss, the cut just doesn't suit slim guys imo.

If your slim, maybe an Aero sheene is the way to go. There have been some great examples here if you do a search. I'm actually expecting my fit jacket for a sheene to arrive today!

If you don't want FQHH, there is always their MWHH, the goat that everyone raves about or the Vicenza Vege tanned.

Again, nothing against AL at all but the difference between a nice looking jacket and an amazing jacket is the fit.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
I have both the Alexander's is 2" narrower in the waist and chest than the one size smaller Highwayman.

Will take some measurements and post them ( they will be for a 40" Highwayman and a 42" Roadster if that helps).

Equally the Thurston thing seems to work great if you are across the pond.

Even better, get your size and buy in eBay ( that's pretty much what I do. )

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm a little skeptical of what the "slimmer" cut of the Roadster actually means, tbh I think it just means a size 40 AL is about the same as a 38 HWM, I don't think there is a significant difference in the pattern where it is slimmer through the waist if thats what you are after.

I've tried 2 Roadsters, the first was a size too small (too tight across the shoulders) and had to go back, the next was 1 size up so my correct size (great in the shoulders) but still to boxy around the waist for me I wore it 3 times and sold it at a loss, the cut just doesn't suit slim guys imo.

If your slim, maybe an Aero sheene is the way to go. There have been some great examples here if you do a search. I'm actually expecting my fit jacket for a sheene to arrive today!

If you don't want FQHH, there is always their MWHH, the goat that everyone raves about or the Vicenza Vege tanned.

Again, nothing against AL at all but the difference between a nice looking jacket and an amazing jacket is the fit.

I don't generally like to click on the "Reply With Quote" since it uses up space. However, I think that everything ProteinNerd said in post #9 is worth repeating. A size 40 AL should fit the same as a 38 HWM, and the cut just doesn't suit slim guys in his opinion. He has solid data from personal experience to support his AL experience which I do not, although if I were to size down to a 40 HWM for me, I suspect it would bind in the chest and shoulders. As I said earlier, the slim fit jackets seem to better fit my stick-like frame, and the Aero Sheene is also very appealing. Since fit for OneEyeMan is the primary issue, IMO better to ship stuff around in the US rather than from the UK to US and then maybe back to the UK, and so on. My experience is that international shipping is very expensive for a large, heavy box with jacket inside, particularly from the US to the UK.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I understand your points gentlemen.
However, I'd like to try the slimmer cut of the Roadster (at least that's what I've read) instead of the
boxier Highwayman. Also want to wear something that isn't as heavy as their FQHH.
Be that as it may, the Insurrection suggestion is one I haven't tried in the past.
Actually, I could send them my jacket right now and tell them what I want directly from that.
But I also need to sell my current jacket.
Great idea, ya think?

ProteinNerd

The point we are trying to make is that the AL jacket isn't actually slimmer, it's just different sizing numbers

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
OEM I think you are assuming the Roadster is a slimmer cut than the HWM which well might not be accurate but just labeled differently. Also as ProteinNerd said, don't rule out an Aero Premier Range 1930s Highwayman that is a slimmer cut than the boxier "regular" HWM.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I gather you mean send your jacket to Insurrection and tell Carrie what adjustments you need from the test jacket you send them rather than the reverse. Correct? Sounds reasonable to me but would suggest talking to Carrie on the phone before doing so as you would need to let her know exactly how you want a HWM to fit. Keep in mind that Insurrection preference is, I think, for a very snug fit, although I would think she would size it however you want. My original utility jackets were both HWM but found that a 30's slim fit seems to conform to my frame best of all. Fit is everything, isn't it?

Exactly.
I feel that's absolutely the best way to get the exact fit I want.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'd give the new 30s HWM a go. The standard fit is definitely a lot slimmer.

One of the things I have noted with my two slim fit jackets (Maxwell and Mulligan) is that the higher arm holes and smaller sleeves make the jackets hug my shoulders and chest when worn open/unbuttoned, which is a good feeling , whereas my HWM and even my Pioneer are much looser fitting when unzipped and seem to want to come off. If I were to buy another HWM, I would definitely go with the 30's HWM over the standard one. Or a Sheene.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk