Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One of those fun "Hat Moments" (compliments of/to Art)

spiridon

A-List Customer
I was in the Phoenix area last week for the Marathon. Afterwards I was kicking around in Scottsdale just doing a little "sightseeing".....when I came upon a nice looking hat shop....."American Sky Hats".....naturally I had to check it out.:)
As I entered, the gentleman I assumed was the mgr/owner was engrossed in a conversation on the phone (just as well I thought, as I simply wanted to browse at this point)....as I walked by he stopped in mid conversation to ask me...."Hey, where'd you get that hat!". I was wearing my latest acquisition, a VS creation from Art Fawcett. I WISH I could remember the owner's name as he was a very nice person and a pleasure to talk with. We had a nice chat.....talking hats and various things. Seems he knows the guys at Meyer the Hatter in New Orleans, so I gave him an update on how their store fared from Katrina. My head swelled as I offered my hat for him to inspect and admire.......he was very impressed with Art's work.:D :D
.....in fact I was worried that he may not give it back.;)
So here's a "Hat's off" to Art for providing a great hat which led to a delightful meeting in Scottsdale, AZ.:D :D

If y'all are ever in the Scottsdale area, stop in and pay a visit.....a nice guy with a nice shop!

P.S.....the marathon was great.....I qualified for Boston!:D

Wconly

Familiar Face
Sounds like a fun experience! By the way congrats and kudos on making it to the Boston event! W>

WEEGEE

Practically Family
EVERYONE LOVES ART

photobyalan
I get more compliments from total strangers while wearing my "Eddie G" than when wearing all my other hats put together. Even people who know nothing about hats are able to appreciate Art's skill and imagination.

Yes. Those in the know and those who don't give hats much thought seem to feel the quality vibrations coming from Art's creations. And even with that magic vibe I am wearing the hat it never is wearing me.

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Gotta say that Art does get noticed! I've been wearing my VS fedora every day, and it's amazing. The finest fur with even better craftsmanship. I wish I could afford a whole roomful, because they're great hats at any price -- and when you comparison shop for this type of quality, the value is jaw-dropping.

Thanks for the heads-up, Sharpetoys; I hadn't seen the updated VS website, and it's very classy.

Russ

One of the Regulars
My VS hat also got a compliment this week from a stranger -- albeit a taxi driver as I was getting into his cab. Apparently he spotted the hat from a distance. The serious tone of his voice let me know this was sincere admiration and not an polite but empty compliment which is very common here.

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
I too, recently got a very pleasurable and appreciated compliment while wearing an A.F. fedora that I received just before Christmas. I was at the airport, sadly having put my 20 y.o. son on a plane for his first move away from home. Mom had been in intermittent tears most of the morning and we were just leaving and going out to grab our car for the long drive home. A middle-aged guy comes up to me (my right hand slipped down to my carry-knife, just in case) and then said how he'd never seen anyone that looked good in a hat before...but he really liked mine (O-Kay-y-y-y). I then noticed his wife standing off a ways, looking a bit sheepish, I guess at her hubby going up to perfect strangers, etc. Well, hm-m-m-m (right hand moving away from the blade). I guess this is OK. I made a comment (true) that it certainly wasn't ME, it was the HAT! My wife just stood there slack jawed, normally being the one to receive compliments, and never having been with me during an Art Fest (what I call being trapped by strangers admiring my A.F.) before. One has to get used to these things, in increments.

PS: I'm a member of a cigar club and more of the guys are getting fedoras all the time. Sadly, Stetsons for the most part (some guys are just like that). And they all say that they get compliments all the time. Women, for the most part, but guys as well - not used to seeing how good a man can look when a man looks like a man aught to look (or something like that).

Ah, the burden of beauty. :cool2:

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Risky accosting?

Blackhorse said:
...A middle-aged guy comes up to me (my right hand slipped down to my carry-knife, just in case) and then said how he'd never seen anyone that looked good in a hat before...but he really liked mine (O-Kay-y-y-y). I then noticed his wife standing off a ways, looking a bit sheepish, I guess at her hubby going up to perfect strangers, etc. Well, hm-m-m-m (right hand moving away from the blade)....

Wow, I didn't know Portland was so crime ridden that a guy has to grab for his blade or gun when a guy walks up to greet him[huh]

Glad he loved the hat.

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
It was one of those "big, lonely parking lot/having read three mugging stories the night before/feelin' a bit skittish" kind of things.

Be that as it may, PDX is not known as a benign kind of town except by folks that have never had anything happen to them. Stuff does happen. It's happened to friends of mine with no provocation in nice parts of town (just don't show a cop a toy plastic gun).

Sure, it's statistical...but I don't want it to happen to me - especially not to my wife. No, I'm not rabid...I'm aware. And being an ex-scout, I'm prepared.

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
Well Chanfan, it WAS a thread about Fawcett's...and I still haven't tried on a Stetson that I really liked all that much. Just a matter of chance I guess.

I like your avatar by the way. Wm.P. is a real favorite of mine.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Oh, no worries. Everyone has their preferences - I don't care much for Glenfiddich or The Glenlivet, two of the most popular single malt whiskys.

William Powell is a favorite of mine - love the Thin Man series, and My Man Godfrey.

But on track, I had read up on some discussions, pro and con, on Stetsons prior to buying. I'm enjoying mine so far, and like the look, but don't have the comparative experience to make an informed comment. Hopefully, I'll get access to more, different, and vintage hats that I can wear.

I did also check out Arts site - a bit pricey for my first plunge in, what without being able to try one one, and all, but they do look nice, and I've read nothing but nice reviews of them. I just need a little more experience to find what shapes I like on my head. :)

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I guess I like McCallans or Dalwhinnie better than the Glens...so I'm there anyway. The thing on Stetson's is just that I haven't found one I thought looked good (but then, what would) on me. Once, I just happened on a Biltmore that had a really straight contour to the body of the hat and I liked it well enough to buy it. Most of my others are Akubras for a bit rougher outdoors fun - but since "you can get anything you want...from Art's restaurant" (sic) you DO kind of have to know what you want.

I always work from the basis of self-fiction and imagine that I look good in a style that I sort of like anyway and since I don't usually gawk at myself while wearing one...it kinda works out OK. I lean towards late 30's early 40's...Mr. Powell, Sam Spade, Boston Blackie, Marlow, Mickey Spillane, Howard Hughes, etc., etc., etc. I figure if I keep good company, then I'll be all right. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points