Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One quick question... that triangle patch.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I just bought myself a GoodWear ANJ-4 Redskin 2 Tone. I love the jacket but am confused about that little triangle leather patch on the left breast.... What the heck is it for? I know this is probably an idiot question but... enquiring minds got's ta know....

Worf

Plumbline

One Too Many
It was a tab for clipping an oxygen mask to .... featured later also on the B-15 and MA-1 jackets ( ISTR). I've only handled 3 original jackets and none of these had this tab though I have seen one M-445 with one fitted ( though it looked to have been retrofitted as it was a different color - lighter - than the panel leather)

HTH

Monsoon

A-List Customer
Plumbline is right. The clip on the end of an O2 hose. It's usually a "toothed" clip, and it can tear a garment. That's why it was leather or canvas; to save the nylon of the jacket.

kirkaero

New in Town
Congratulations, I am sure it is great jacket. There are at least 4 versions of the ANJ-4 jacket. The originals made by Aero seem to lack the triangle while some made Arnoff have it, and all the one's from Poughkeepsie.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
If buying a repro this is one item I think totally unnecessary and if I could order without it that is what I would do.
The reasoning behind this is for a day wearer it serves no purpose as I cannot see how you would use it. If the same jacket were available with this as the only deviation from a standard design I would certainly do without it.
I suppose it is a bit like the single pocket on the B3, designed to do a job in service.
Here's a pic of my original.
A nice old jacket with my preference for snaps instead of buttons on the pockets.
P1230013.jpg

Plumbline

One Too Many
That's sweet .... and looks in great nick .... so many of the US shearlings suffer from sheepskin rot :(

I'm loving the turned up cuffs .... this is how I wear my Eastman which is very similar to this ( stud fastening on the pockets etc. )

Otter

One Too Many
Looking forward to seeing that jacket!

Does anybody know if there was a change in oxygen equipment later war in the usaaf that prompted the change in jackets. I seem to remember reading that their early war masks had icing problems and they used RAF equipment for a time.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Looking forward to seeing that jacket!

Does anybody know if there was a change in oxygen equipment later war in the usaaf that prompted the change in jackets. I seem to remember reading that their early war masks had icing problems and they used RAF equipment for a time.

Correct with the icing problem on the early versions of the A-8 oxy masks.
The A-14 oxy masks were much better and fitted with US and RAF plugs and sockets.
Correct with some RAF gear and equipment if they flew on British made planes like the Moskito or the later version of the Spitfire ( high altitude recon. version).
Also, some RAF crews flew in B-17's , PBY Catalina and P-51 ( plus others) ...so again mixed gear.
My Gran' Pa flew ( 1949-1953) a Bearcat in the Indochina war, they used all kind of gear from the USAF ( issued after a lend lease contract dd 1944) from the RAF, plus his beloved Luftwaffe made Schwimmweste ( life west) ... a left over from the German's when they "departed " from occupied France ( BTW many RAF pilots wore it as well, since very handy and reliable if compared to their own gear... a welcomed gift from downed LW pilots or retaken airfields)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points