Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open crown delights

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Show us your open crowns...

Here is a start...

Jan2010021-1.jpg

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Almost all of my favorite hats are open-crowned. I only like pre-creased crowns on stingy-brims.
Here's an old Knox from the 20's or 30's:
day051.jpg

My Campdraft, love it, but it's so BIG!
day137.jpg

And all of my VS hats are open-crowned:
Picture254.jpg

Picture074.jpg

Picture401.jpg

Picture453.jpg

usa005.jpg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Question Jauntyone: Do you knock the hats back to open crown before storing them, or even after wearing them??

Jauntyone

Practically Family
daizawaguy said:
Question Jauntyone: Do you knock the hats back to open crown before storing them, or even after wearing them??

Yep, I pop the crown open and flip up the brim at the end of the day after wearing the hats. That way, no permanent creases develop, and each new day is a new, unique crease!
Yes, I'm weird:D

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This Thread Is Killing Me.

I posted this in the classifieds, in response to an
Akubra for sale. I guess I'll post it here as well, being that it's very appropriate.

Is it just me, or does a new, or NOS hat look so inviting, pictured as uncreased/open crown?

I don't know but, there's absolutely nothing like seeing a pristine, vintage open crown hat.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
bolthead said:
I don't know but, there's absolutely nothing like seeing a pristine, vintage open crown hat.

It's true. I bought a NOS white pre-1946 Mallory 12.50. t took me a while to decide on what to do with it. I wanted to just put it on a shelf it was so perfect!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
bolthead said:
Akubra for sale. I guess I'll post it here as well, being that it's very appropriate.

Is it just me, or does a new, or NOS hat look so inviting, pictured as uncreased/open crown?

Right you are Sir, and this was the inspiration for this thread. Its a secret trick from the hatmakers, once you bash it you want to get back to the perfect fresh open crown, and order another,,,...:rolleyes: ;) lol

Jauntyone said:
Almost all of my favorite hats are open-crowned. I only like pre-creased crowns on stingy-brims.
Here's an old Knox from the 20's or 30's:
day051.jpg

This one is great! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Have you posted detailed pictures?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
bolthead said:

It's true. I love to receive a dirty creased high-end hat from ebay, because I can envision what it will look (and feel) like after I re-block it, and I'm seldom disappointed. This weekend I cleaned/re-blocked a late '50s Cavanagh semi-wide-brim, 2 3/4" bound-brim Borsalino 5X and a wide-brim Knox Fifteen - they were all dirty with ugly creases, and now all look pristine. Nothing like rejuvenating the felt and watching the old creases and ribbon stains disappear. I'll try to get a picture of them as a group today, before I begin bashing.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs 100

OpenCrown-22.jpg

Stetson "Shady Oak" 7X Clear Beaver Open Road

R33148578_o.jpg

Stetson 3X

OpenCrown-10.jpg

1948 Stetson Royal DeLuxe

OpenCrown-3.jpg

Borsalino Alessandria

OpenCrown-19.jpg