Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Road Homage

Mark G

A-List Customer
Everyone who knows me knows I'm a big fan of Open Roads/Stratoliners. I have been thinking of making one with a little bigger brim dimensions. I wanted something that would be good for the field but also not out of place in the city. I settled on a pure beaver bodied Sahara color. I made the crown 5 7/8" open and the brim is 3" The sweat is a full two inches (thanks Tony B).

I ordered the ribbon from JKM (thanks for the heads up RBH) and the only color that looked close was beige. When I received it, it looked more camel in color but when I dyed it with RIT pearl gray it was a perfect match.

The biggest challenge for me was the binding, and I really have to thank Art Fawcett for his brief but very informative post in March.

I'm making my own linings and I'm still not happy with the results, so I'll probably replace this one.

It's probably not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

profile.jpg

crown.jpg

binding.jpg

lining-1.jpg

And finally my mug under my new hat.

uberroad.jpg

ipokebadgers

New in Town
That is a great looking hat. I have an Art Stratoliner clone and it is by far my favorite style of hat. You did a great job and I think the lining looks very nice. Wear it proudly!

Wow. Jeepers. Yowza. Holy smokes. That's really sumpin'. Et cetera.

It's undoubtedly nicer than any but the most precious Open Roads (you know, the vintage Stetson 100s and the like) and clearly superior to just about anything available new (with the exception of the best customs, of course). That bound edge takes it (and your skills as a hat maker) to another level. Very, very well done. You're an inspiration.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
That is an absolutely super job, and looks great on you. Very, very nice. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

majormoore

Vendor
Hell, it looks like the bound edge was done on a machine, you did a great job, may have to start sending mine too you to bind.

I like it and again looks very nice bound edge job.

Major Moore

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Really impressive. The edge binding is very, very nice.

Slightly off topic, I've been wondering what a raw edge OR would look like.

Mark G

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I must say that I really couldn't have done it without the help of the members of the lounge. I've learned a lot and met some really great people.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Mark, I'm not easily impressed, But I've got to say, "WOW!!!" One of the best things to come out of this forum is a new crop of artisans who can rebuild a hat, or make a new creation from the proper components and the right amount of skill and determination. Today, sir, you are at the head of the class! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Duck

Practically Family
Mark, that is fantastic work!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
It looks just like my old 3x Stetson, 3" bound brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21