Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions: Best bash for Modern Stratoliner

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Hey guys! Been thinking about changing up the bash on my modern Stratoliner and have really wanted to go with a cattleman's crease. Would that work with the height of the crown? As a discussion starter, which types of bashes do you all prefer in the modern strats? Right now mine is just a simple center dent.
Thanks for the responses

Bolero

A-List Customer
Hey guys! Been thinking about changing up the bash on my modern Stratoliner and have really wanted to go with a cattleman's crease. Would that work with the height of the crown? As a discussion starter, which types of bashes do you all prefer in the modern strats? Right now mine is just a simple center dent.
Thanks for the responses

I favor the Center Dent, Teardrop.... because they are Classic.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I would go with the center dent too or a loose diamond crease with shallow front pinches a few fingers apart. I'm definately not a fan of the Cattleman's

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I always go for maximum height ... so usually a center dent

in my opinion only certain crowns look right with a diamond ... the crown has to ask for it and be pretty high to look right for me ... but when the crown is right the diamond looks fantastic

same with the cattleman ... the hat has to want it

and I never use a teardrop.... just don't like them

the hat always tells you what it wants ... sometimes I fight it ... but the hat always wins and gets the crease it was begging for in the end

listen to the hat

.... all that said... both of my modern strats have center dents and a wide pinch

foamy

A-List Customer

in my opinion only certain crowns look right with a diamond ... the crown has to ask for it and be pretty high to look right for me ... but when the crown is right the diamond looks fantastic

the hat always tells you what it wants ... sometimes I fight it ... but the hat always wins and gets the crease it was begging for in the end

listen to the hat

.... all that said... both of my modern strats have center dents and a wide pinch
For the first time ever... I'm beginning to actually understand what's being said here. It's sort of a revelation for me.

g.durand

One Too Many
I'm with moon, the hats will tell you. What that means is there is some experimentation required before settling on the right crease.

It may be just personal preference, but for me a cattleman's crease doesn't look good unless the brim is at least 2 7/8-3 inches wide. The blocking of the crown, whether the crown is tall and straight enough, also makes a difference. The modern Strat has a 2 1/2 inch brim. I've tried a cattleman's on modern Strats, and I even tried it on a couple of vintage Strats with wider brims, and it didn't work for me.

javadave61

Practically Family
My modern Strat came with a cattleman's crease. It looked quite good, but I had them reshape it into a teardrop. Now it has a diamond as that tends to give it straighter sides. But at first, it looked like a miniature OR. It didn't look bad at all. I just wanted my Strat to look like a Strat.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

listen to the hat

Well said.
Matt,
The hat does speak to you. And obviously block plays a role. Sight unseen, if blocked similar to that in the day, I would think you can have a superb diamond crease. Give it a try...lets see how you did. My 48 came to me with a diamond.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately, I can not comment yet about the modern Stratoliners. Under the presumption they are inspired by the vintage fedoras I am able to add to this thread.

The vintage Strat's work well in my "Short Balding Guy" size with a diamond. The 2.5" brim and high straight crown work very well with a diamond crease. The diamond crease maintains the high crown and adds a "top" that can support a rake and side dents. Here is an older pic of some vtg. Strat's;

i-dqpFNwW-M.jpg

Of late, I have changed the creases to have a bit lower side crease that better shows the details of the straighter blocked crown. Long crease, but a bit lower.

Each of our eyes appreciate different proportions and shapes. None are better - just different.

best, Eric -

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Late to the party, and I don't (yet) own a modern Strat, but I do want to toss out a vote for the diamond crease. I've converted a vintage Strat, a Cavanagh, an Open Road, and a Resistol from teardrops to diamond creases with very positive results. The rear points on the crease help to give the crown a more straight-sided look and in one case allowed me to wear a size 7 rather than a 7 1/8 due to the slightly wider fit. Your mileage may vary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ