Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on H&M cotton khaki suit

StanleyVanBuren

This is an adventure in modern suiting, so true die-hard vintage aficionados may wish to avert their eyes.

OK, now that that is out of the way, here's the deal. I've wanted a cotton khaki suit for awhile. It's good for summer, and as a Los Angeleno, that pretty much means it's good year round. It'd be great for any day in the office where I didn't have to go to court. And, I have a few events coming up this summer where I want to wear such a suit.

So, then I saw this in GQ:

gqsuit1.jpg

and then saw that it was only $179 and I was like "OMGZ I MUST HAVE THIS." Literally. That's how my thought process works.

I figured it would be my gift to myself for finishing finals. Now, I still have 3 more but I did finish "a" final today, and I had some time, so I bombed on down to the Beverly Center and promptly dashed up to the H&M and found their cotton khaki suit. Here's the problem: the one I found looked dark. After a long time looking at it and inquiring as to whether they had any others, I figured it was just odd lighting in the store and bought the one I'd found.

Here are the pros: its a 34R and the trousers are a 30W. Which is awesome, since it fits GREAT and it is really really hard to find suits in such a size here in America. Most places you'll be lucky to find a 36, so this is what I usually buy. And even then, that limits me to a select few places in the US that go lower than a 38.

The con is this. Once I got home, I looked at the GQ picture again and this totally doesn't match. It's darker, and has almost olive-ish tones to it. My guess is the GQ article caused them to sell out of the lighter color and thus the darker one was all that was left.

So my question now is this: what do you think of this suit? Is this worth keeping; is it any good? Cuz at this point I'm leaning towards returning it and continuing my search.

hmck2.jpg

hmck1.jpg

OH LOOK BIG TIE KNOT!!! KNOT AS WIDE AS TIE! OH NOES!!!
tongue.gif

StanleyVanBuren

Feng_Li said:
Perhaps it's the indoor/outdoor lighting that's causing the color to shift?

Perhaps... I've considered this but I really don't think so. The suit really does look like a dark khaki. I'll take photos outside tomorrow to be absolutely sure.

But the suit pictured in GQ looks like a "stone" khaki, which this suit is certainly not. H&M had trousers in this color, but no jackets. I asked if there wasn't a suit jacket that color and they told me there wasn't, but it could have just been that particular store that didn't have it.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
hmm...i'd vote for "return"...im not sure that particular color compliments your skin tone well...it's gotta be either lighter or darker

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Your suit

That suit is cool...that tie is crap...ditch it (or keep for Mob Funerals:D ) ...keep the suit at that price its bargain. The cut is nice on you.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I actually think a DB would look good on you.

That suit on you just doesn't flatter you, whereas...thinking outside the box here, a DB could make you look stunning!! (Again, just a personal observation to mull over).

You've got a trim enough figure to carry off a DB well. Personally I think it would be more flattering on you and would really turn heads as far as great comments to.

What do you think...?

Rooster

Practically Family
Dang, I used to be built just like you.....6' tall and 130 lbs all through my 20's. Avoid things that accent your thinness. Those skinney legged trousers don't help. Some colors will work better for you than others too. Some fellows that are more color wise than I may be able to help. Our face shape is quite similar also. A 'stach will help as well as some chin whiskers to strengthen your chin....even a soul patch.
I personally like Khaki type suits, I'm not sure this is the one for you or not....[huh]

Dagwood

Practically Family
I think that your suit looks much better than the one on the GQ model. The GQ suit looks tight and uncomfortable.

This suit tends to emphasize your slimness. I would like to see a lower buttoning point and a little wider lapel. I agree with Paddy - a DB may be the way to go. Maybe double pleated trousers with cuffs?

Also, do you plan to wear that suit to work? The color may be too casual for a law office/court.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
SVB-

I like that your slimness is accentuated, but that's me. My concern is more with the color. The one on the model looks far lighter and your's seems to be a true taupe, which I'm sorry to say I don't think flatters you the best.

I think it's a nice idea and if you need just a basic Summer suit on hand it will do, but I think I'd rather see you/my friend/my brother/my (theoretical) b.f. put the money toward something they'd have for years and years.

Also, I think the black tie is too stark of a contrast.

Cheers!

StanleyVanBuren

Well, thanks for all the input guys & gals. I think it's going back. The search continues.

Paddy -- maybe a DB... maybe. I'm on the fence. I'd still most prefer a SBPL over anything else.

As far as slim trousers go, these have a great feel to them. And if slim trousers weren't made for guys like me, then who were they made for?

Bottom line here is I just can't do this color. beau -- you had it right, I think "taupe" does describe it. Oh well.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I like that color, but I don't think its right for your skin tone. Alan Flusser has some great guidelines on matching clothing to one's hair and skin coloring in his book Dressing the Man. Pricy book, but great reference work.
Definitely something for you to checkout- think of it as an investment in yourself, particularly in a public contact job.

Jovan

Suspended
Take it back. That GQ article obviously had a very different prototype that they paid to have featured and/or they pinned the back. Either way, you did not get the same suit. The lapels and fit are totally different.

As for the colour, it was probably the bright sun in the photo shoot. But in general I've found fashion magazines to not be a great source of info in both their pictures and articles.

Rafter

Suspended
SB,

I don't see anything wrong with the suit or it's color. It seems to fit you nicely.
You made the wrong color choice with the tie!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
How skinny are you, Stanley? What are your actual chest and shoulder measurements? No offense and maybe it's the angle, but the suit fits you like a khaki burlap potato sack. Maybe if you take it to a tailor and have the waist and hips taken in?

Personally, I would say take it back. The cotton has a sort of shininess- I don't know if it's the flash, but I don't really like it.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From the first photo of you, it looks like a shinier fabric than shown in GQ. To me, the buttons look different as well. Also, i don't think photographing it outside is going to make much difference - it appears to be an entirely different color, if not type, of fabric. And the one on the guy from GQ - clearly not his size. The sleeves are too short, looks like he couldn't button the lower button, etc.

My experience has been that if I get home with something and try it on again and it just doesn't click, if I don't think it looks good right then (taking into account any minor alteration it may need) - take it back because the chance of your growing to like it more is pretty slim. If you're not completely satisfied, get your money back and keep looking.

As someone else said, yours fits you far better than the one the model has on, but as someone else pointed out, that particular color looks a little...blah on you. Nothing against you in saying that - there are a couple colors that look awful on me. If it were a case where you were going to be going on a trip, or starting a new job in a couple days, needed a suit and that's all you found, I'd say like others - good fit, it looks fine on you, go with it. But there have been things I bought because the price was really good that I ended up hanging in the closet for years, only worn a few times because I just wasn't happy with it. I think a $250 suit I wear 50 times is a much better deal than a $150 suit I'll only wear maybe 5 times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk