Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo Midnight Blue Picture

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here are two pictures of the Optimo Midnight Blue..it is wonderful. Much much darker than the Phantom Blue of a couple of years ago. This hat is so rich blue it glows in daylight, and at night it looks black. Under flourescent lights, black clothing and such take on a greenish hue. The color Midnight blue is what most evening wear, ie. tuxedo's, are.

The has has a black crown ribbon of 1 1/2 inches, and the edge is bound with dark blue 1/4 inch ribbon top and bottom. It has a rich black sweatband with gold stamping of the name "OPTIMO- CHICAGO"

I love this hat! (now that I raised the crown)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Photo #2 Midnight Blue

Second picture of the hat.

PS These pics look light as they were taken in daylight with a flash. The first pics without flash made it hard to see the detail. Actually, in these pictures, the hat looks like the true color of the Phantom Blue. The Midnight Blue is much darker.

This hat indoors and at night looks BLACK.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
That hat is wonderful looking. I really want a Homburg in that color, but I will have to wait for a while.

Marlene's ribbons are the best I have ever seen.

You are going to be one stylish guy with your new VS, and new Optimo!

Let's see them on ya.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
that's a great blue. Does the crown slope down in the back like art's 40's block? Looks like it. Nice bound edge as well.

That, my man, is one fine lid.

Engr-Chas

Familiar Face
That is a nice blue. It has very balanced dimensional look to it. But, I wonder why the ribbon is black?? The bound edge ribbon is the color that I would have preferred instead of black, IMHO.

Chas

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I choose the black

Originally posted by Engr-Chas
That is a nice blue. It has very balanced dimensional look to it. But, I wonder why the ribbon is black?? The bound edge ribbon is the color that I would have preferred instead of black, IMHO.

Chas

Yes, they had a very dark blue, but at the time of my order, they only had the blue in a 1 inch, I wanted the wider ribbon. Second, the hat and ribbon look the SAME indoors and in other than bright camera flash or very strong sunlight. This hat LOOKS BLACK, and I left he pics lightened just to show detail, and it depends on your monitor, etc.

Black is perfectly acceptable on this hat.
The bound edge is a nice dark blue color.

Just for fun, when I went to Art's today, I took some of his many ribbons and held it up to this hat. Different blues, vintage black, and so on. When you mail order a hat you trust the hatter. Today I was able to confirm what Optimo suggested, and was happy with the choice of black for the crown ribbon after holding up several other ribbons for comparison.

Optimo makes very good recommendations for hat colors and ribbon(s).

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wow, what a beauty! I'd been thinking about getting a black hat, but the blue looks almost too good!

Brad

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Nice hat!!!

I am glad to see navy blue hats coming back, for awhile there I couldn't find one to save my life, and finally had one made.

It looks like it has a really soft feel to it.

karol

JerseyJones

Vendor
Loooking goood.

I bagged myself one of Graham's Harley Earl Hats that looks to be close to the the same color with the Buick Press Photo. Its one size smaller than my usual, but I nailed it for $69.00 shipped on eBay, unworn. too good to pass up !

That's why God made a hat stretcher....slooow and gentle.

Here are some pix:

DSCN6349-vi.jpg

harley-vi.jpg

DSCN6356-vi.jpg

DSCN6360-vi.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WOW that is a souvenieer and collector item

You snagged the deal of the century at that price. You could easily send it to Graham and have him upsize it for minimal cost.

Optimo made a batch of high end hats for gifts at the Oscars or Emmys or whatever it was. The sponsor "BUICK" ordered a batch of hats to mirror their current ads, featuring the actor wearing an Optimon hat as Harley Earl.

Great buy!

JerseyJones

Vendor
Re: WOW that is a souvenieer and collector item

Originally posted by Andykev
You snagged the deal of the century at that price. You could easily send it to Graham and have him upsize it for minimal cost.

Optimo made a batch of high end hats for gifts at the Oscars or Emmys or whatever it was. The sponsor "BUICK" ordered a batch of hats to mirror their current ads, featuring the actor wearing an Optimon hat as Harley Earl.

Great buy!

Thanks AK,

I may call Graham tomorrow and ask what the charge for a resize and reblock is for that hat. Its easily worth $300.00 + more than I paid.

Sometimes (seldom I grant you:rolleyes:) I get lucky.

Peace
JJ

Sergei

Gone Home
Originally posted by JerseyJones
Thanks Sergei,

I feel like I am in the club now ! :p

Peace freinds,
Ken

Ahem.... {in the voice of Thurston Howell III}
1981_5130_1.jpg

You did get the "secret" handshake and password? And the keys to the club? :cool2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24